X800XL or 6800gt?

Last response: in Video Games
July 12, 2005 1:22:58 AM

X800XL = £200
6800GT = £260ish

whats the best for FS2004? Speed and quality wise? IE i want all the bars at
max (except maybe clouds?). with AFx16 and AAx2 (min x4 would be nicer) @
1280x1024

From most tests ive seen the X800XL is better in the games i play (much to
the discust of Nvidia fanboys), however i cant really find a comparison
showing there speeds in FS2004.

--
From Adam Webb, Overlag
www.tacticalgamer.com

More about : x800xl 6800gt

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 4:28:18 AM

I faced the same choice recently and I chose the x800 xl.
It was about $75 dollars cheaper and it did not require a power connector
like the gt. I wish I could give a comparison to the gt but I can't. I did
read many graphics card reviews and the two cards appear to be comparable.
The xl does perform quite well in msfs and myst IV and uru and a few other
games I play. I love it and think it is definitely one of the best bangs
for the buck out there

"Adam Webb" <adam@ajmysecondname.eclipse.co.uk> wrote in message
> X800XL = £200
> 6800GT = £260ish
>
> whats the best for FS2004? Speed and quality wise? IE i want all the bars
> at
> max (except maybe clouds?). with AFx16 and AAx2 (min x4 would be nicer) @
> 1280x1024
>
> From most tests ive seen the X800XL is better in the games i play (much to
> the discust of Nvidia fanboys), however i cant really find a comparison
> showing there speeds in FS2004.
>

> --
> From Adam Webb, Overlag
> www.tacticalgamer.com
> CS:SOURCE server now active :D

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 5:50:18 PM

i went mad and brought a 7800gtx instead..... No partying for a month for
me.....

--
From Adam Webb, Overlag

@
> > 1280x1024
> >
> > From most tests ive seen the X800XL is better in the games i play (much
> > the discust of Nvidia fanboys), however i cant really find a comparison
> > showing there speeds in FS2004.
> >

> > --
> > From Adam Webb, Overlag
> > www.tacticalgamer.com
> > CS:SOURCE server now active :D

July 13, 2005 3:25:54 AM

Nice! What kind of settings can you run MSFS now versus before? That looks
like a killer card. What are the power requirements like?

>i went mad and brought a 7800gtx instead..... No partying for a month for
> me.....

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 12:50:10 AM

I'm sure the GTX will do just fine. I have to run my monitor at
1920x1200 which slowed stuff down with my previous card (5900XT OC)
But my x800xl does just fine at 1920x 1200 and with AA and AF enabled,
I get pretty good frame rates. I'm still playing around with my new
setup tweaking stuff, but I'm very happy with everything.
Roy
Anonymous
July 14, 2005 2:48:09 AM

> Nice! What kind of settings can you run MSFS now versus before? That
looks
> like a killer card. What are the power requirements like?

its not here yet, i should be up and running by friday.. :-)

as of now i have:

AMD X2 4400
Asus A8V deluxe (dying)
1gig ram
9700pro.

I run at 1280x1024x32 AFx2 and AAx2. All sliders maxed out in game, weather
is at min quality though, those clouds really hurt. I also have FS global
which is a mesh for the whole world.

I average 20-30 fps. 10fps in bad weather, even with the clouds so poor
looking.

Once i get my
Asus A8N premium and Asus 7800gtx im hoping it will stay in the 50-60fps
range with everything turned up

--
From Adam Webb, Overlag
www.tacticalgamer.com
CS:SOURCE server now active :D
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 7:41:25 PM

ok this is great. although them clouds still hurt alittle bit.

I tweaked my FS9.cfg file for better looking ground as well

everything maxed out in FS, including clouds. I think they set at 60miles
instead of 80miles though. 1280x1024x32 AFx2, AAx2.
60-75fps
really bad weather 30-40fps
so ive basicaly doubled my fps, with a massive increase in quality too! :-)

Im still testing things. AF for instance makes one of my games go really
blury. in FS2004 it can be used at 16x fine. AAx2 so far. AAx8 is great but
again it makes one of my other games blury. I will have to set profiles i
think

--
From Overlag - Adam Webb

!