Valuable Guidance needed for VoIP(SIP) implementation.

Last response: in Networking
August 17, 2004 10:04:02 AM

Hello,
I am Electronics & Communication Engineer, Though Right Now I am
Unemployed, BUT I am keenly interested in VoIP platform and made up my
mind to make my carrer in VoIP field.I know "C" Language.

One of my well wisher(He is not into VoIP field) suggested me to get
the concept of SIP implementation and for that he has given me an idea
of a Project from where to start so as to make my foundations strong.

So Now, I have to do a project whose details are given below:

Definition of the project : To transmit voice between two systems on a
LAN using SIP as the protocol.

My task is to ::
1.) To study the RFC for SIP thoroughly .
2.) Then write some test programs using sockets to communicate between
2 pc's (Using the "C" language,preferebly on unix).

I am going through RFC3261(SIP 2.0) and have completed 1st 40
pages(Section 8.1).Though not fully but still,I am getting the
theoritical concept, and i am sure as i will proceed further in RFC ,
i will get my concepts more clear.

Now regarding the 2nd task(Sockets),there are certain bottelnecks
which are to be removed,

a)I have to transmit voice between 2 systems on a LAN using SIP as
protocol,
But I am having ONLY 1 system with me at my Room.
So, Is it possible to use(configure) my 1 sysetm to ACT as Sender at
one time and Reciver after that(sending) to recieve the send packet.

b) Till yet I know only C and nothing about sockets and unix.

But for 2nd task,I had to learn Sockets programing in C on unix .

Please do guide me from where to start to learn socket and unix(which
book) so that aftetwords I can do SIP implimenataion in C.

Kindly let me know one more thing. Will codes written for red hat
linux
will work for Linux SUSE also.I am asking this because in August issue
of computer magzine "DIGIT",They are giving LINIX SUSE.Or Do I have
to arrange RED HAT LINUX only.

Waiting for the Precious reply from already working professionals.
With Regards

Amit
August 19, 2004 2:18:06 AM

Hi

It sounds if you are trying to reinvent the wheel. All what you are trting
to do has been done, Its out their and has been for some while Asterisk is
now stable and in use widly. There are also many commercial SIP products.

You would be far better spending your time downloading the source code to *
looking at that and then writing addons or taking up the bounty offers on
the Wiki.

Good luck.

Ian

"SIP3261" <sip3261@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am Electronics & Communication Engineer, Though Right Now I am
> Unemployed, BUT I am keenly interested in VoIP platform and made up my
> mind to make my carrer in VoIP field.I know "C" Language.
>
> One of my well wisher(He is not into VoIP field) suggested me to get
> the concept of SIP implementation and for that he has given me an idea
> of a Project from where to start so as to make my foundations strong.
>
> So Now, I have to do a project whose details are given below:
>
> Definition of the project : To transmit voice between two systems on a
> LAN using SIP as the protocol.
>
> My task is to ::
> 1.) To study the RFC for SIP thoroughly .
> 2.) Then write some test programs using sockets to communicate between
> 2 pc's (Using the "C" language,preferebly on unix).
>

> I am going through RFC3261(SIP 2.0) and have completed 1st 40
> pages(Section 8.1).Though not fully but still,I am getting the
> theoritical concept, and i am sure as i will proceed further in RFC ,
> i will get my concepts more clear.
>
> Now regarding the 2nd task(Sockets),there are certain bottelnecks
> which are to be removed,
>
> a)I have to transmit voice between 2 systems on a LAN using SIP as
> protocol,
> But I am having ONLY 1 system with me at my Room.
> So, Is it possible to use(configure) my 1 sysetm to ACT as Sender at
> one time and Reciver after that(sending) to recieve the send packet.
>
> b) Till yet I know only C and nothing about sockets and unix.
>
> But for 2nd task,I had to learn Sockets programing in C on unix .
>
> Please do guide me from where to start to learn socket and unix(which
> book) so that aftetwords I can do SIP implimenataion in C.
>

> Kindly let me know one more thing. Will codes written for red hat
> linux
> will work for Linux SUSE also.I am asking this because in August issue
> of computer magzine "DIGIT",They are giving LINIX SUSE.Or Do I have
> to arrange RED HAT LINUX only.
>

> Waiting for the Precious reply from already working professionals.
> With Regards
>
> Amit
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 8:21:07 AM

Hello,
My Aim is not to reinvent the Wheel , but to learn ,How to make a
wheel.
I am fully aware that Session Initiation Protocol(SIP)
implementation is already carried out in various companies all over
the world and various SIP based commercial products are alreday there
in the market,
My interest lies in not using these comercial product,But to
make(implement) these products by being a part of those companies.

I am keenly interested in learning the SIP implemantation so that in
near future I can join a company working in SIP and can become a
sucessful VoIP professional.

As I am a begineer for SIP implementation ,I posted my Query here in
this newsgroup so as to get my doubts clear from already working VoIP
professional, as they are the best persons to understand the problems
a begineer can phase in SIP implementation.

I request VoIP professionals to show me the path to achieve sucess.

Thanks in Advance,

With Regards

Amit Arora
(sip3261@rediffmail.com)

"Ian" <nospam@bathfordhill.co.uk> wrote in message news:<2ohv71Fb0hirU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Hi
>
> It sounds if you are trying to reinvent the wheel. All what you are trting
> to do has been done, Its out their and has been for some while Asterisk is
> now stable and in use widly. There are also many commercial SIP products.
>
> You would be far better spending your time downloading the source code to *
> looking at that and then writing addons or taking up the bounty offers on
> the Wiki.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Ian
>

> "SIP3261" <sip3261@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> > I am Electronics & Communication Engineer, Though Right Now I am
> > Unemployed, BUT I am keenly interested in VoIP platform and made up my
> > mind to make my carrer in VoIP field.I know "C" Language.
> >
> > One of my well wisher(He is not into VoIP field) suggested me to get
> > the concept of SIP implementation and for that he has given me an idea
> > of a Project from where to start so as to make my foundations strong.
> >
> > So Now, I have to do a project whose details are given below:
> >
> > Definition of the project : To transmit voice between two systems on a
> > LAN using SIP as the protocol.
> >
> > My task is to ::
> > 1.) To study the RFC for SIP thoroughly .
> > 2.) Then write some test programs using sockets to communicate between
> > 2 pc's (Using the "C" language,preferebly on unix).
> >

> > I am going through RFC3261(SIP 2.0) and have completed 1st 40
> > pages(Section 8.1).Though not fully but still,I am getting the
> > theoritical concept, and i am sure as i will proceed further in RFC ,
> > i will get my concepts more clear.
> >
> > Now regarding the 2nd task(Sockets),there are certain bottelnecks
> > which are to be removed,
> >
> > a)I have to transmit voice between 2 systems on a LAN using SIP as
> > protocol,
> > But I am having ONLY 1 system with me at my Room.
> > So, Is it possible to use(configure) my 1 sysetm to ACT as Sender at
> > one time and Reciver after that(sending) to recieve the send packet.
> >
> > b) Till yet I know only C and nothing about sockets and unix.
> >
> > But for 2nd task,I had to learn Sockets programing in C on unix .
> >
> > Please do guide me from where to start to learn socket and unix(which
> > book) so that aftetwords I can do SIP implimenataion in C.
> >

> > Kindly let me know one more thing. Will codes written for red hat
> > linux
> > will work for Linux SUSE also.I am asking this because in August issue
> > of computer magzine "DIGIT",They are giving LINIX SUSE.Or Do I have
> > to arrange RED HAT LINUX only.
> >

> > Waiting for the Precious reply from already working professionals.
> > With Regards
> >
> > Amit
August 20, 2004 5:46:13 PM

Hi!

> I am fully aware that Session Initiation Protocol(SIP)
>implementation is already carried out in various companies all over
>the world and various SIP based commercial products are alreday there
>in the market,
>My interest lies in not using these comercial product,But to
>make(implement) these products by being a part of those companies.

Then, learn more about the open source variants and take note
that many companies are going to implement those instead
of doing their own SIP implementation.

>I am keenly interested in learning the SIP implemantation so that in
>near future I can join a company working in SIP and can become a
>sucessful VoIP professional.

If you learn about open source variants, you do not have
to do all yourself, but you can "stand on the shoulders
of giants" and *continue* from there to achieve some progress...

--
MfG/Best regards, Kurt Jaeger 16 years to go !
LF.net GmbH fon +49 711 90074-23 pi@LF.net

Hi.
The point I am trying to make to you is that the core work on SIP is
done and need not be done again, also YOU are looking for employment correct
? There a few positions at the protocol development end but MANY at the
service delivery and intergration end. You would be beeter to spend you time
and effort downloading Asterisk as I said before looking at how that works
then deloping additions and services based on that and intergrating it with
databases etc.
Yes its good to know how something works but only to a point. reading
RFC's will not a job get. Knowing what customers want and being able to
deliver it will.

> [...]
> > > protocol,
> > > But I am having ONLY 1 system with me at my Room.
> > > So, Is it possible to use(configure) my 1 sysetm to ACT as Sender at
> > > one time and Reciver after that(sending) to recieve the send packet.
> > >
> > > b) Till yet I know only C and nothing about sockets and unix.
> > >
> > > But for 2nd task,I had to learn Sockets programing in C on unix .
> > >
> > > Please do guide me from where to start to learn socket and unix(which
> > > book) so that aftetwords I can do SIP implimenataion in C.
> > >

> > > Kindly let me know one more thing. Will codes written for red hat
> > > linux
> > > will work for Linux SUSE also.I am asking this because in August issue
> > > of computer magzine "DIGIT",They are giving LINIX SUSE.Or Do I have
> > > to arrange RED HAT LINUX only.
> > >

> > > Waiting for the Precious reply from already working professionals.

Anonymous
October 21, 2004 8:46:47 AM

Hi amit ,
Good , U r learning through RFC stuff.
BUT if your aim is to make 2 PC talk to each other , then U have do
lot.
Please extend ur task list.
SIP wont help U alone, You need to check RFC for SDP , RTP , RTCP and
few of the codecs like G.711 G.729(A / B ), or ITU standards.
This will help you implement a client, which can talk.
Best luck ,
Hope you come up with clean code ;)  .

Vivek
Anonymous
October 27, 2004 12:05:03 AM

Hi, Experts:

You have all mentioned about open source code, can any of you point me
to these URL, so I can take a look and possibly stand on these gaints
:-)

Thank you in advance. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Ting

vivek.dosi@gmail.com wrote in message news:<1098359207.258138.217530@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...
> Hi amit ,
> Good , U r learning through RFC stuff.
> BUT if your aim is to make 2 PC talk to each other , then U have do
> lot.
> Please extend ur task list.
> SIP wont help U alone, You need to check RFC for SDP , RTP , RTCP and
> few of the codecs like G.711 G.729(A / B ), or ITU standards.
> This will help you implement a client, which can talk.
> Best luck ,
> Hope you come up with clean code ;)  .
>
> Vivek
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 10:54:25 AM

Hi,
Ting Liu, try this URL... www.asterisk.org

btw, SIP3261, we are also doing almost a similar job as our final year
project. BUT, we are implementing the things in object-oriented manner.
Hence we have also developed a OO framework for BSD sockets...
http://www.geocities.com/mayank2cool/LinSock.jpg

We have not started with the SIP stack, but atleast things are moving
forward... :-D

bbye,
makuchaku
---