Mouse

I have a Win 98 that will not show the mouse. It state that Vmouse.vxd will
not load the mouse driver. I can't find the vmouse file. I have reloaded
Win 98 several times with no improvement. Anyone got an idea?

VMOUSE.VXD is a basic driver that is found packed into VMM32.VXD.
VMM32.VXD is the "omnibus drivers file". It's created during Setup after
all the hardware detecting is done. All the drivers that Setup deemed
necessary for the system are packed together into VMM32.VXD.

Can you boot into Safe Mode and does the mouse work there?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

CavBelt wrote:

> I have a Win 98 that will not show the mouse. It state that Vmouse.vxd will
> not load the mouse driver. I can't find the vmouse file. I have reloaded
> Win 98 several times with no improvement. Anyone got an idea?

1. Reboot into Safe Mode. This activates
the mouse but will not load custom drivers.
2. You can then take remedial action (e.g.
running SFC = System File Checker to reload
a MS driver or / start / settings / control panel
/ mouse / Device Setup to reload special
mouse software.

What is the exact wording of that message?

"Vmouse.vxd" is inside "VMM32.vxd". This is a conglomerate driver file
created only during an install of Windows, though an over-install will
do. The drivers inside may be specific to the computer on which the
install was done. It is possible to override individual drivers of
VMM32.vxd by placing a driver of the same name into the folder
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32. To see what files are in yours, "START button,
Run, RegEdit", & navigate to...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VMM32Files
vmouse.vxd 00 <<Binary Value

I would think that particular file should be put into VMM32.vxd no
matter what computer your hard drive was on when Windows was installed
to it.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"CavBelt" <CavBelt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

| I have a Win 98 that will not show the mouse. It state that
Vmouse.vxd will
| not load the mouse driver. I can't find the vmouse file. I have
reloaded
| Win 98 several times with no improvement. Anyone got an idea?

TRENDING THREADS