Build me a $500 System! :)

sincraft

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Ok gents (and ladies if there are any here! HA)..
I'm interested in building a system that will allow me to play games for the next year plus without too many problems. I have a limited limited budget as we are soon to be married and remodeling a house..

Anyway - I need another workstation and want to turn my current 1.5ghz p4 with a gef2ultra and 384 ram into a 2003 server for testing.

For the past year or so I have been 'left out' of many of the games out there, and probably a bit longer for the real cool stuff...but still play a few that don't require much so I'm ok with that..

My question is, is it possible to build a nice system for around 5 bills via newegg, pricewatch, ebay or...?

I will probably build a 'dream' system sometime around xmas or possibly next summer, I just don't want to sync that cash into it all right now...

Not to mention, things have definetely gotten MUCH more complicated from when I built my last system back in 2001, and I thought it was information heavy back in 2001 from my previous 3 year old p2-300 system! LOL

Anyway - if you can even provide links to sites selling the goods, I would appreciate it...

THANKS MUCH (FYI NO monitor)

S

sincraft

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
wow, fast reply thanks. I'm pushing to have things arrive by early next week so am ready to pop on this so thanks!

I originally started this looking to get a rig for about $140-190 without shipping on ebay just as a test system for 2003 server and various server functions for testing for my mcse - then, I realized that my current system could easily serve this purpose and that maybe if I spent a few more bucks, I could enjoy some newer games and not worry about a new system for up to another year.

I agree on the mobo - the dfi is a much better option.

S

sincraft

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
all looks pretty good. Love the hard drive really.
There are SOOO many options out there, you kinda wonder if it will continue to branch out even further as in recent years for the options available. Heck, I remember just a few + years ago..a computer case was a computer case, and 'modding' your case was pretty much the only way to get something E-lookin.

I'm thinking of upgrading the dvd writer to a lightscribe. Although I can count on one hand how many times I've burned a cd or dvd in the past 3 years.

I'm also thinking of sli down the road for the mb and video card. Whats your thoughts on that?

S

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
If you rarely burn a CD/DVD, you shouldn't spend extra on a LightScribe on. LightScribe is cool, but it needs special discs, which cost more, on top of the added cost for the drive itself. A Sharpie works for me :).

I don't think that SLI is worth it with low-mid range video cards. Two 7600GS's in SLI would perform a little bit better than one 7600GT, but they'd cost a lot more. If you want a better card now, look at the 7600GT and the X1800GTO. Don't bother with SLI. Hope this helps

-Ducky

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Hi Sincraft, $500 is a little low, but you can check out this similar thread:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/friend-gaming-PC-550-helpftopic-181332-days0-orderasc-25.html

Your "great computer" in that thread is actually a POS. Your website is very out-of-date.

JanusDS

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
I'm in a similar boat as you. I posted on here recently looking for opinions on a "budget" system (my definition being <$800). If you're willing to spend a few more $, I would definitely recommend the 7600GT for the video card. This is the one I'm thinking about getting...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150140

The reason I recommend this over the Radeon 1800GTO is because of the power requirements. This 1800GTO recommends 450W, while the 7600gt's recommend 350-400W. The particular card I recommended is decently OC'ed so it might be around 400W.

I have also decided to go with the Antec Sonata II case, which comes with a 450W SmartPower PS. If you look on Pricegrabber.com, you can find this for a little over $100 including shipping, which seems like a great deal to me. But I guess that's right around the price for the case & ps that's recommended above.

Well, that's my 2 cents. Everything else looks good. Hope you enjoy it.

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Be careful about buying a pirated copy, you dont know what crap will be on their, and if you do buy it, and your computer dies, I wont care because you bought a pirated copy.

Piracy=Stealing=Stupid

JanusDS

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Be careful about buying a pirated copy, you dont know what crap will be on their, and if you do buy it, and your computer dies, I wont care because you bought a pirated copy.

Piracy=Stealing=Stupid

I'm not a fan or advocate of pirating or anything of that nature, but why exactly would he want to "buy" a pirated copy? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose...question of the day :D

sincraft

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Long ago I was nailed for pirating software, LOTS of software. Back prior to the Internet. I was a minor minor. Since then, well, I don't like paying for anything and love getting good deals cause I 'po, and well, I don't like paying for things.
As for BUYING a pirated copy of something, people do it EVERY day from the Russians at the computer shows on the North East. Such as Windows Xp Pro and Office with spelling that is incorrect etc. Heck I even worked for a company whos IT Manager (cough dumba**) purchased 500 copies of office 95 off of the net that were CD ONLY. BAHAHA. I had to go in there and demand they had their CAL's all in order or I would have to have them sign something saying they knew about their CAL issues so that I would not be held personally liable as a manager of the department.

Well, that little personal two cents is over.

THANKS GUYS for all the input. I'm searching ebay for a similiar rig right now to see how much I can save for someones possibly over-overclocked, cigarette stinking, dust bunny den / slightly used and abused system....but will probably newegg it all. Yehaw! (really I never say that out loud, I promise!)

Hey Ducky - Are you really angry? If so, Why? Also - when are you planning on getting the MoBo?

OH BTW - I own several pieces of software - sometimes it's just not worth the hassle or you absolutely need the key to play online. Windows Xp Pro IS one of the programs I do own. I was sick of getting poor, outdated copies and decided to break down and get it. Must be signs of getting old! ACK

S

sincraft

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
One more stupid question, how much better would it be to spend the few extra bucks on THIS versus THIS.

Is the first one better at Overclocking...yes now I am interested in overclocking.
What are your impressions on the processor listed in this thread and the mobo The Angry Duck suggested as an alternative (dfi) for OVERCLOCKING. NOthing crazy, I am just thinking of overclocking a bit.

Also - been awhile sinced I've overclocked. Before, it was unstable at best for most. Although most didn't admit it because they were getting an less expensive cpu than Intel and trying to compete with their buds. We Intel guys used to have to wait around for them to reload in order to place our Star Trek Armada or Broodwars...
Now adays obviously, in almost every application, AMD is a superior chip for the $$, at least until Intel drops their prices BIGTIME to compete with the true market (the gamers).

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

S

superbrett2000

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2006
I think its possible.

A few years ago I built a $350 system for my brother. We bought a bare bones system (case, mother board, ram, CPU) that was on sale for a good price. It was supposed to come with an AMD Athlon 1700 XP+ but upon boot up I discovered it was a 2000 XP+!

sincraft

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
All the stuff I've been looking at, (no benchmarks just yet) show this card having much better stats for a bit more than the 7600GS and about the same as the 7600 GT...
The card is a 6800GS 256meg..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130267

Here is a link, follow to the bottom for the side by side stats..

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=1&id=1856

PLEASE let me know your opinions on video cards for this price range (less than 180) THANKS!

S

EDIT: Ok, maybe not. Still trying to find decent benchmarks for the 7600GS...

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
All the stuff I've been looking at, (no benchmarks just yet) show this card having much better stats for a bit more than the 7600GS and about the same as the 7600 GT...
The card is a 6800GS 256meg..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130267

Here is a link, follow to the bottom for the side by side stats..

http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=1&id=1856

PLEASE let me know your opinions on video cards for this price range (less than 180) THANKS!

S

THIS 7600GT will pwn that 6800GS because it's overclocked very high from the factory. It's $170 with a $30 MIR.

EDIT: Ok, maybe not. Still trying to find decent benchmarks for the 7600GS...

JanusDS

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
As for BUYING a pirated copy of something, people do it EVERY day from the Russians at the computer shows on the North East.

Yeah, I know, I was just trying to make a point.

As far as your video card dilemna, I still recommend THIS card unless you're adverse to mail-in rebates. It would actually be less than the one you were looking at after the rebate and stock clocked much higher (squeezing the most out of your money). Btw, the mem clock is at 1.6GHz (I don't think it tells you on the site). Just a suggestion; but I understand if people don't trust MIR's. I've just been lucky enough to never have a problem with them (knock on wood).

sincraft

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I guess now the question remains as to WHICH video card to get LOL.
There are a FEW on there, all with rebates. Heck there is now a GS with a rebate that takes it down to 99 bucks! ANd this unit has a faster clock ... (isnt that better than the one for 114 ?)
There is also a few GT's on there. The one you mentioned JanusDS, but also a few that are less expensive but seem to have the same 'stats'.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

S

JanusDS

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Really, what other card (GT that is) has a 590MHz core and 1.6GHz memory clock. I saw one more expensive with a slightly faster core clock (600 core and 1.5 mem I think), but the extra mem bandwith will more than make up for that. There's nothing wrong with the GS either, it's just that I personally would rather have the the extra memory bandwith since both cards only have 128bit memory bus. If you want the best price/performance ratio, your choices are the 7600GT and the Radeon X850XT. I would go with the 7600's though, as I said before, for the power requirements.

As for oc'ing the GS, I wouldn't bet on it. I don't know for sure because I have never owned one but this is what I think. It is passively cooled so you would definitely need to get a better cooling solution to start oc'ing. If you get a decent VGA cooler, you've already bridged the gap on most of the cost between a GS and GT, plus you've got the headache of installing the cooler (hoping it's compatible with the card) and the oc process. All in all I'd say it's not worth it.

Either get a GS and except the fact that it has half the mem bandwith of a GT (as well half the mem bus of most cards) or get a GT and be happy that the great mem clock makes up for the reduced bus size.

sincraft

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I think I have settled on the 3200+. TomsHardware.com benchmarks show this to be a faster chip. In order to produce the same difference in results between the 3000+ venice and the 3200+ venice, you would literally need to spend BIG bucks on a cpu, mobo etc to get the same span in differences of FPS. Extra 50 bucks but sure seems worth it...

Thoughts...feelings....complaints? :O

S