cdrom not working

I helped someone with a win98. I could not get the cdrom working. I
turned off computer ,unplugged cdrom and then plugged it back in and
turned on computer and it doesn't recognize it.It's not in the device
manager.
How do I troubleshoot?
Before doing this I did a virus scan and cleaned out the computer. I did
a sypware removal and a registry cleaning.

Try a different CD drive.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Joe K" <JoeK@myhome.computer> wrote in message
> I helped someone with a win98. I could not get the cdrom working. I
> turned off computer ,unplugged cdrom and then plugged it back in and
> turned on computer and it doesn't recognize it.It's not in the device
> manager.
> How do I troubleshoot?
> Before doing this I did a virus scan and cleaned out the computer. I
did
> a sypware removal and a registry cleaning.

Aside from Gary's suggestion, is it recognized by the BIOS?

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Joe K wrote:
> I helped someone with a win98. I could not get the cdrom working. I
> turned off computer ,unplugged cdrom and then plugged it back in and
> turned on computer and it doesn't recognize it.It's not in the device
> manager.
> How do I troubleshoot?
> Before doing this I did a virus scan and cleaned out the computer. I did
> a sypware removal and a registry cleaning.
I tried another cdrom but that didn't work and no I didn't check the
bios yet.Will do that when I go back to friends.

"Joe K" <JoeK@myhome.computer> wrote in message
> I helped someone with a win98. I could not get the cdrom working. I
> turned off computer ,unplugged cdrom and then plugged it back in and
> turned on computer and it doesn't recognize it.It's not in the device
> manager.

Do you know if it was in Device Manager BEFORE you unplugged it?

> How do I troubleshoot?

Boot to Safe Mode.

Check every entry in Device Manager [except System Devices]
for duplicates, or extra entries showing non-existing components.

If found, delete ALL of the entries in that tree. Reboot.
Just as it did during the original Windows Setup process,
Windows will search for and re-detect and reinstall
the valid components.

Example: If you find 3 monitors (two bad entries plus one for
the actual monitor), delete all 3 monitor entries.
When you ahve cleaned everything up, reboot.
Windows will search for and re-detect and reinstall
the valid components, including the valid monitor.

> Before doing this I did a virus scan and cleaned out the computer. I did
> a sypware removal and a registry cleaning.

Virus scan is good. Not finding anything would be better.
Spyware removal is good. Having it in the first place isn't good.

Anyway, my experience has frequently been that spurious entries
in Device Manager can cause the loss of your CDROM drive,
as the computer is kicked into DOS compatibility mode.

Clean up Device Manager and the CDROM pops back into view.

Worth a try.

In addition to trying another CD drive, also replace the data ribbon cable which
connects the CD drive to the controller. To which controller is the drive
connected, and is the controller on the motherboard, or is it on a separate
controller card?

Also, check that the controller on which the drive is installed is enabled in the
BIOS, in addition to auto-detecting for a drive.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm