Faxing Software Not Finding Comm Port

I'm on 98SE, and have an Intel HaM data fax voice modem. I'm trying to
load SuperVoice fax software but it's not working. After it checks the
comm ports (1-8) it throws up an error box with 2312 Cannot find comm
port. The HaM Configuration, in the Control Panel, shows the modem to
be on comm 5. I tried moving it to comm 3 and got the same results.
Comm ports 1 and 2 are not selectable in the HaM configuration box.

Any suggestions on how I can get the software to load? Thanks for any
help.
3 answers Last reply
More about faxing software finding comm port

    "nr" <newsreader@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I'm on 98SE, and have an Intel HaM data fax voice modem. I'm trying to
    > load SuperVoice fax software but it's not working. After it checks the
    > comm ports (1-8) it throws up an error box with 2312 Cannot find comm
    > port. The HaM Configuration, in the Control Panel, shows the modem to
    > be on comm 5. I tried moving it to comm 3 and got the same results.
    > Comm ports 1 and 2 are not selectable in the HaM configuration box.
    >
    > Any suggestions on how I can get the software to load? Thanks for any
    > help.

    uninstall the modem ....

    if they are not in use , disable com1 and com2 in your bios

    try setup again

    I have a multi-function machine and a digital camera connected by the
    serial ports. Aren't they using com1 and com2? What I don't
    understand is why doesn't the fax software (Supervoice freeware)
    recognize the modem when the Control Panel/System does. What would
    disabling com1 and com2 in the BIOS do?

    If the modem is a software modem then the serial port it uses is a virtual
    serial port - it is fabricated in software to look like a serial port.
    Perhaps there is some problem with this virtual port so that it doesn't
    quite look exactly like a proper hardware port, and the fax software fails
    to recognize it properly.

    Instead of using a software modem and a virtual serial port, use an external
    modem and a proper hardware port and see if the fax software can recognise
    that correctly.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    >I have a multi-function machine and a digital camera connected by the
    > serial ports. Aren't they using com1 and com2? What I don't
    > understand is why doesn't the fax software (Supervoice freeware)
    > recognize the modem when the Control Panel/System does. What would
    > disabling com1 and com2 in the BIOS do?

Comm Port Configuration Software Windows