  • Software
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 17, 2005 7:20:58 PM

I'm on 98SE, and have an Intel HaM data fax voice modem. I'm trying to
load SuperVoice fax software but it's not working. After it checks the
comm ports (1-8) it throws up an error box with 2312 Cannot find comm
port. The HaM Configuration, in the Control Panel, shows the modem to
be on comm 5. I tried moving it to comm 3 and got the same results.
Comm ports 1 and 2 are not selectable in the HaM configuration box.

Any suggestions on how I can get the software to load? Thanks for any
help.

More about : faxing software finding comm port

February 18, 2005 12:19:14 PM

"nr" <newsreader@midsouth.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm on 98SE, and have an Intel HaM data fax voice modem. I'm trying to
> load SuperVoice fax software but it's not working. After it checks the
> comm ports (1-8) it throws up an error box with 2312 Cannot find comm
> port. The HaM Configuration, in the Control Panel, shows the modem to
> be on comm 5. I tried moving it to comm 3 and got the same results.
> Comm ports 1 and 2 are not selectable in the HaM configuration box.
>
> Any suggestions on how I can get the software to load? Thanks for any
> help.

uninstall the modem ....

if they are not in use , disable com1 and com2 in your bios

try setup again
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 6:32:13 AM

I have a multi-function machine and a digital camera connected by the
serial ports. Aren't they using com1 and com2? What I don't
understand is why doesn't the fax software (Supervoice freeware)
recognize the modem when the Control Panel/System does. What would
disabling com1 and com2 in the BIOS do?
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 11:18:05 AM

If the modem is a software modem then the serial port it uses is a virtual
serial port - it is fabricated in software to look like a serial port.
Perhaps there is some problem with this virtual port so that it doesn't
quite look exactly like a proper hardware port, and the fax software fails
to recognize it properly.

Instead of using a software modem and a virtual serial port, use an external
modem and a proper hardware port and see if the fax software can recognise
that correctly.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)