Trojans?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 17, 2005 7:55:19 PM

I just checked the daily overnight run of my-eTrust AV and there were two
items which failed the scan with no comment or recommendation for
eliminating them. They were not there on the previous night's scan. I
Googled them and found that they are, or may be Trojans. I have tried to
delete or rename them but they can't be eliminated and I've been unable to
find a removal recommendation. Here are the details.

C:\Windows\Internet Logs\fwdbglog.txt
C:\Windows\Internet Logs\fwpktlog.txt

Details of my computer:

Windows 98SE
PII 300 Mhz
320 Mhz RAM
20gig HD

AdAware SpyBot S&D
SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard
CW Shredder
Host File
Zone Alarm
my- eTrust AV

All of the above are up to date and are run almost daily. Hopefully, ZA has
prevented anything from being sent out of my computer if it has done what
it's supposed to do

Does anyone have details of these trojans (if they are) and how to get rid
of them. Any help appreciated.

More about : trojans

Anonymous
February 17, 2005 8:32:21 PM

Those log files are specifically ZA log files. Fwpktlog.txt appears to
be a log of dropped packets. Not sure what the other one logs.

I can't see how these files, themselves, could be trojans. But there may
be info in them that triggers the AV to suspect a trojan. Can't imagine
what, but I suppose it's possible.

You can delete those files in DOS Mode (Command Prompt Only startup.)
See what the AV scan shows after restarting. I'd save copies, first.
Perhaps just looking through them will provide a hint or two. They
should be basically boring. Any lines that look different from most
would be worth investigating.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
> I just checked the daily overnight run of my-eTrust AV and there were
two
> items which failed the scan with no comment or recommendation for
> eliminating them. They were not there on the previous night's scan.
> Googled them and found that they are, or may be Trojans. I have tried
> delete or rename them but they can't be eliminated and I've been
unable to
> find a removal recommendation. Here are the details.
>
> C:\Windows\Internet Logs\fwdbglog.txt
> C:\Windows\Internet Logs\fwpktlog.txt
>

> Details of my computer:
>
> Windows 98SE
> PII 300 Mhz
> 320 Mhz RAM
> 20gig HD
>
> AdAware SpyBot S&D
> SpywareBlaster
> SpywareGuard
> CW Shredder
> Host File
> Zone Alarm
> my- eTrust AV
>
> All of the above are up to date and are run almost daily. Hopefully,
ZA has
> prevented anything from being sent out of my computer if it has done
what
> it's supposed to do
>
> Does anyone have details of these trojans (if they are) and how to get
rid
> of them. Any help appreciated.

February 17, 2005 9:06:34 PM

After further "digging", it looks like these are ZA files that are now
"locked" as of yesterday when I downloaded the ZA upgrade to V 5.5.062.011.
I found previous (older) versions on my D drive that I deleted without any
trouble. Looks like a non-problem. Thanks Gary and David Lipman for your
helpful suggestions.

> Those log files are specifically ZA log files. Fwpktlog.txt appears to
> be a log of dropped packets. Not sure what the other one logs.
>
> I can't see how these files, themselves, could be trojans. But there may
> be info in them that triggers the AV to suspect a trojan. Can't imagine
> what, but I suppose it's possible.
>
> You can delete those files in DOS Mode (Command Prompt Only startup.)
> See what the AV scan shows after restarting. I'd save copies, first.
> Perhaps just looking through them will provide a hint or two. They
> should be basically boring. Any lines that look different from most
> would be worth investigating.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
> > I just checked the daily overnight run of my-eTrust AV and there were
> two
> > items which failed the scan with no comment or recommendation for
> > eliminating them. They were not there on the previous night's scan.
> > Googled them and found that they are, or may be Trojans. I have tried
> > delete or rename them but they can't be eliminated and I've been
> unable to
> > find a removal recommendation. Here are the details.
> >
> > C:\Windows\Internet Logs\fwdbglog.txt
> > C:\Windows\Internet Logs\fwpktlog.txt
> >

> > Details of my computer:
> >
> > Windows 98SE
> > PII 300 Mhz
> > 320 Mhz RAM
> > 20gig HD
> >
> > AdAware SpyBot S&D
> > SpywareBlaster
> > SpywareGuard
> > CW Shredder
> > Host File
> > Zone Alarm
> > my- eTrust AV
> >
> > All of the above are up to date and are run almost daily. Hopefully,
> ZA has
> > prevented anything from being sent out of my computer if it has done
> what
> > it's supposed to do
> >
> > Does anyone have details of these trojans (if they are) and how to get
> rid
> > of them. Any help appreciated.

February 17, 2005 9:16:37 PM

They're "locked" because they're in use. Probably always have been. If
you close ZA, I'm betting they can be deleted.

--

> After further "digging", it looks like these are ZA files that are now
> "locked" as of yesterday when I downloaded the ZA upgrade to V
5.5.062.011.
> I found previous (older) versions on my D drive that I deleted without
any
> trouble. Looks like a non-problem. Thanks Gary and David Lipman for
your
> helpful suggestions.

> > Those log files are specifically ZA log files. Fwpktlog.txt appears
> > be a log of dropped packets. Not sure what the other one logs.
> >
> > I can't see how these files, themselves, could be trojans. But there
may
> > be info in them that triggers the AV to suspect a trojan. Can't
imagine
> > what, but I suppose it's possible.
> >
> > You can delete those files in DOS Mode (Command Prompt Only
startup.)
> > See what the AV scan shows after restarting. I'd save copies, first.
> > Perhaps just looking through them will provide a hint or two. They
> > should be basically boring. Any lines that look different from most
> > would be worth investigating.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
> > > I just checked the daily overnight run of my-eTrust AV and there
were
> > two
> > > items which failed the scan with no comment or recommendation for
> > > eliminating them. They were not there on the previous night's
scan.
> > > Googled them and found that they are, or may be Trojans. I have
tried
> > > delete or rename them but they can't be eliminated and I've been
> > unable to
> > > find a removal recommendation. Here are the details.
> > >
> > > C:\Windows\Internet Logs\fwdbglog.txt
> > > C:\Windows\Internet Logs\fwpktlog.txt
> > >

> > > Details of my computer:
> > >
> > > Windows 98SE
> > > PII 300 Mhz
> > > 320 Mhz RAM
> > > 20gig HD
> > >
> > > AdAware SpyBot S&D
> > > SpywareBlaster
> > > SpywareGuard
> > > CW Shredder
> > > Host File
> > > Zone Alarm
> > > my- eTrust AV
> > >
> > > All of the above are up to date and are run almost daily.
Hopefully,
> > ZA has
> > > prevented anything from being sent out of my computer if it has
done
> > what
> > > it's supposed to do
> > >
> > > Does anyone have details of these trojans (if they are) and how to
get
> > rid
> > > of them. Any help appreciated.

Anonymous
February 17, 2005 11:19:24 PM

1) Download the following three items...

Trend Sysclean Package

Latest Trend signature files.

Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Create a directory.
On drive "C:\"
(e.g., "c:\New Folder")
or the desktop

Download SYSCLEAN.COM and place it in that directory.
Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
For example; lpt416.zip

SYSCLEAN.COM.

2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
3) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible.
4) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full Scan of your
platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
(a few cycles may be needed)
5) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform using both the
Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware

Dave

"bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message news:uyycKSVFFHA.1292@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
| I just checked the daily overnight run of my-eTrust AV and there were two
| items which failed the scan with no comment or recommendation for
| eliminating them. They were not there on the previous night's scan. I
| Googled them and found that they are, or may be Trojans. I have tried to
| delete or rename them but they can't be eliminated and I've been unable to
| find a removal recommendation. Here are the details.
|
| C:\Windows\Internet Logs\fwdbglog.txt
| C:\Windows\Internet Logs\fwpktlog.txt
|

| Details of my computer:
|
| Windows 98SE
| PII 300 Mhz
| 320 Mhz RAM
| 20gig HD
|
| AdAware SpyBot S&D
| SpywareBlaster
| SpywareGuard
| CW Shredder
| Host File
| Zone Alarm
| my- eTrust AV
|
| All of the above are up to date and are run almost daily. Hopefully, ZA has
| prevented anything from being sent out of my computer if it has done what
| it's supposed to do
|
| Does anyone have details of these trojans (if they are) and how to get rid
| of them. Any help appreciated.

February 23, 2005 9:32:24 AM

So has anyone ever click on your web-link, David Lipman? <evil grin>

news:o U20jfVFFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
: 1) Download the following three items...
:
: Trend Sysclean Package
: http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp
:
: Latest Trend signature files.
: http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp
:
: Adaware SE (free personal version v1.05)
: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
:
: Create a directory.
: On drive "C:\"
: (e.g., "c:\New Folder")
: or the desktop
: (e.g., "C:\Documents and Settings\lipman\Desktop\New Folder")
:
: Download SYSCLEAN.COM and place it in that directory.
: Download the Trend Pattern File by obtaining the ZIP file.
: For example; lpt416.zip
:
: Extract the contents of the ZIP file and place the contents in the same
directory as
: SYSCLEAN.COM.
:
: 2) Update Adaware with the latest definitions.
: 3) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as
possible.
: 4) Using both the Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware, perform a Full
Scan of your
: platform and clean/delete any infectors/parasites found.
: (a few cycles may be needed)
: 5) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform
using both the
: Trend Sysclean utility and Adaware
:
: * * * Please report back your results * * *
:
: --
: Dave
: http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
:
:
:
:
: "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
: | I just checked the daily overnight run of my-eTrust AV and there were two
: | items which failed the scan with no comment or recommendation for
: | eliminating them. They were not there on the previous night's scan. I
: | Googled them and found that they are, or may be Trojans. I have tried to
: | delete or rename them but they can't be eliminated and I've been unable
: | find a removal recommendation. Here are the details.
: |
[...]
February 23, 2005 11:40:58 AM

You mean Clay's website which host's my information ?

Yes.

--
Dave

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message news:o j8bbwaGFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
| So has anyone ever click on your web-link, David Lipman? <evil grin>

February 23, 2005 2:33:06 PM

Oh, I thought it referred to a STD. I read it incorrectly. My bad and I
apologize. Have a great day.

: You mean Clay's website which host's my information ?
:
: http://www.claymania.com/removal-trojan-adware.html
:
: Yes.
:
: --
: Dave
:
:
:
:
: "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
news:o j8bbwaGFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
: | So has anyone ever click on your web-link, David Lipman? <evil grin>
: |
:
:
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 5:44:04 PM

You're welcome !

--
Dave

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message news:o 96wlFqGFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| I downloaded it as suggested and I am amazed that it is free. Here I was
| expecting to pay money for what looks like an awesome utility. Thanks again,
| David H. Lipman. You are really nice to help me. GodSpeed! (May God go with
| you)
February 25, 2005 6:07:45 AM

Houston, we have a problem. (I couldn't resist -- LOL!!)
Anyway, I just get the error message mswinsck.ocx not correctly registered:
file may be missing or invalid. What next or do I need to roll back my
system before it is too late?

: You're welcome !
:
: --
: Dave
:
:
:
:
: "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
news:o 96wlFqGFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: | I downloaded it as suggested and I am amazed that it is free. Here I was
: | expecting to pay money for what looks like an awesome utility. Thanks
again,
: | David H. Lipman. You are really nice to help me. GodSpeed! (May God go
with
: | you)
:
:
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 10:28:49 AM

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message news:o HX6bHyGFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
| Houston, we have a problem. (I couldn't resist -- LOL!!)
| Anyway, I just get the error message mswinsck.ocx not correctly registered:
| file may be missing or invalid. What next or do I need to roll back my
| system before it is too late?

Dan:

Go to; http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/dnloadocx.html

Obtain the OCX files and save them in the same folder as WallWatcher then run the SEYUP.EXE
file of WallWatcher to re=register the OCX files.

--
Dave
Anonymous

| "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message news:o HX6bHyGFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
|| Houston, we have a problem. (I couldn't resist -- LOL!!)
|| Anyway, I just get the error message mswinsck.ocx not correctly registered:
|| file may be missing or invalid. What next or do I need to roll back my
|| system before it is too late?
|

| Dan:
|
| Go to; http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/dnloadocx.html
|
| Obtain the OCX files and save them in the same folder as WallWatcher then run the
| SEYUP.EXE file of WallWatcher to re=register the OCX files.
|

| --
| Dave

Do'h !

That's SETUP.EXE !

--
Dave
February 26, 2005 10:39:40 AM

Thanks Dave. I will post back with any more problems. Have a great day!
BTW, as of yesterday I have configured my LinkSYS wired -- 4 port router to
stop all attacks at the hardware firewall level. I have 304 attacks that
bypassed my old D-LINK which was only $20 and it su_cked. You get what you
pay for usually I guess. This new router cost me $80 plus tax at Best Buy
and is router # BEFSX41. I really like it. It had exactly 10 attacks that
were stopped at the ZA PRO. software firewall before I managed to nail down
the proper configuration to allow all attacks (or just plain old port scans)
to be stopped at the router level. I will let you know if attacks managed to
bypass this router and then I may upgrade to a $300 business LinkSys router.
My philosophy is "Whatever it takes to keep my System secure from these
stupid hackers" BTW, do you know about the firewall that the U.S. military
uses to actively attack computers that try and hack the system. I definately
want to buy this firewall if it is available for Personnel or Business Use.
I want to go on the offensive and take the on-line battle to the hackers and
stop them in their tracks just like we are going on the offensive in the
States to try and stop terriorism. Thanks again for your help and have a
wonderful day!

news:o IDz9wzGFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
: "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
: news:uxcDQWzGFHA.3376@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl
: | "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
news:o HX6bHyGFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
: || Houston, we have a problem. (I couldn't resist -- LOL!!)
: || Anyway, I just get the error message mswinsck.ocx not correctly
registered:
: || file may be missing or invalid. What next or do I need to roll back my
: || system before it is too late?
: ||
: |
: |
: | Dan:
: |
: | Go to; http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/dnloadocx.html
: |
: | Obtain the OCX files and save them in the same folder as WallWatcher then
run the
: | SEYUP.EXE file of WallWatcher to re=register the OCX files.
: |
: |
: | --
: | Dave
:
: Do'h !
:
: That's SETUP.EXE !
:
:
: --
: Dave
:
:
:
:
:
February 26, 2005 1:54:22 PM

It works. Thanks David. BTW, I now have 17 port scans. Somebody managed to
get around the LinkSys Firewall and it increased to 17. I only left my chair
for about an hour. I will now take the necessary precaution of unplugging my
Ethernet cable when leaving my desk for more than 10 minutes. I already have
optimized the wallwatcher program. Any other information or advice for me.
I really appreciate it. BTW, do you know how I can acquire a Software and/or
a Hardware Firewall that will try to hack systems that attempt to hack my
business/home network. I know something like this exists because the U.S.
military has it and I think some other businesses may have this firewall. It
is made by a small group of programmers and I read about it about 10 months
ago in the Tucson Citizen here in Tucson, Arizona. Take Care and Keep up the
great work. I will keep you informed of hack attempts on my system. BTW, I
use an LG 4400 cell phone with Verizon Wireless, do you know of any
successful hack attempts against this cellphone and do I need to install
software/hardware to help keep it safe. The same goes for my Palm M130
P.D.A. Thanks again and should I cross-post this to XP general to get their
advice or is it dangerous due to the amount of trolling that takes place
there. Have a nice day!!!

[...]
February 26, 2005 6:54:01 PM

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message news:o LZM1wCHFHA.2936@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl
| It works. Thanks David. BTW, I now have 17 port scans. Somebody managed to
| get around the LinkSys Firewall and it increased to 17. I only left my chair
| for about an hour. I will now take the necessary precaution of unplugging my
| Ethernet cable when leaving my desk for more than 10 minutes. I already have
| optimized the wallwatcher program. Any other information or advice for me.
| I really appreciate it. BTW, do you know how I can acquire a Software and/or
| a Hardware Firewall that will try to hack systems that attempt to hack my
| business/home network. I know something like this exists because the U.S.
| military has it and I think some other businesses may have this firewall. It
| is made by a small group of programmers and I read about it about 10 months
| ago in the Tucson Citizen here in Tucson, Arizona. Take Care and Keep up the
| great work. I will keep you informed of hack attempts on my system. BTW, I
| use an LG 4400 cell phone with Verizon Wireless, do you know of any
| successful hack attempts against this cellphone and do I need to install
| software/hardware to help keep it safe. The same goes for my Palm M130
| P.D.A. Thanks again and should I cross-post this to XP general to get their
| advice or is it dangerous due to the amount of trolling that takes place
| there. Have a nice day!!!

| news:o IDz9wzGFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
|| "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
||| "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
| news:o HX6bHyGFHA.3912@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
||| Dan:
||| Go to; http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/dnloadocx.html
||| Obtain the OCX files and save them in the same folder as WallWatcher then run the
||| SEYUP.EXE file of WallWatcher to re=register the OCX files.
||| --
||| Dave
|| Do'h !
|| That's SETUP.EXE !
|| --
|| Dave

Are you saying it got passed the Linksys ?

Please show HOW you know.

Have you specifically blocked TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on the Linksys Router ?

On many Linksys model the above is set at the following URL...

http://192.168.1.1/Filters.htm

--
Dave
February 27, 2005 9:35:11 PM

I will investigate, David. ZoneAlarm PRO. is telling me that it has blocked
18 scans and since everything first goes into the router I concluded that
they must have gotten around the LinkSyS router. (BTW, I had 304 scans that
managed to get around my old D-Link router so this is better) I will check
the web-link provided to make sure that I do not have any open access points
that need to be closed and/or stealthed.

[...]
: ||||
: |||
: |||
: ||| Dan:
: |||
: ||| Go to; http://www.sonic.net/wallwatcher/dnloadocx.html
: |||
: ||| Obtain the OCX files and save them in the same folder as WallWatcher
then run the
: ||| SEYUP.EXE file of WallWatcher to re=register the OCX files.
: |||
: |||
: ||| --
: ||| Dave
: ||
: || Do'h !
: ||
: || That's SETUP.EXE !
: ||
: ||
: || --
: || Dave
:
: Are you saying it got passed the Linksys ?
:
: Please show HOW you know.
:
: Have you specifically blocked TCP and UDP ports 135 ~ 139 and 445 on the
Linksys Router ?
:
: On many Linksys model the above is set at the following URL...
:
: http://192.168.1.1/Filters.htm
:
:
: --
: Dave
:
:
:
:
:
February 28, 2005 9:37:04 AM

David, it will be a few days for me to post back about this. I need to
contact the other system administrator who has access to login name and
password for security reasons on my network. Aaron is the expert on the
Networking side while I focus my attention on the Security side. As you have
shown me in your post the two sides have collided and I will need his
expertise to let me Daniel understand the settings. It is set up this way on
purpose for security reasons as well as to prevent me from messing up
settings on my router due to a lack of knowledge and expertise in this area
and also since he is the expert on the networking side I will contact him.
Have a nice day. I will post back after we have access to that site and let
you know further information. I hope you are the patient type. <smile>
Anything else you want me to try that does not entail changing router
settings?

!