What The #@*&!~ Is PCHealth?!

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Win 98SE

I use several registry cleaner programs. I delete, but it keeps popping
up. What exactly is:

C:\Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe

There is no such folder or file. I delete the registry entry, and several
days later it pops up again with a registry entry.

Thanks in advance for any help.
--
r.s.nevin@att.net

PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe is a file and a location that does not exist
in Win98....it does exist in Windows ME and XP. Do you or did you have WinME or XP
installed on that computer? Exactly what Registry entries keep "popping up"?
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

<Bob@see-below-for-address.com> wrote in message
> Win 98SE
>
> I use several registry cleaner programs. I delete, but it keeps popping
> up. What exactly is:
>
> C:\Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe
>
> There is no such folder or file. I delete the registry entry, and several
> days later it pops up again with a registry entry.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> --
> r.s.nevin@att.net

<Bob@see-below-for-address.com> wrote in message
> Win 98SE
>
> I use several registry cleaner programs. I delete, but it keeps popping
> up. What exactly is:
>
> C:\Windows\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe
>
> There is no such folder or file. I delete the registry entry, and several
> days later it pops up again with a registry entry.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
> --
> r.s.nevin@att.net

Software that monitors fan speed, cpu temperature
et cetera et cetera et cetera, and allows you to
set upper and lower tolerance parameters
which will trigger a warning when violated.

In the case of cpu temperature, that can be
a rather loud and extremely annoying warning.

A valuable piece of software. It should not have
been uninstalled, or deleted, whichever it was.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:55:16 -0500, glee wrote:

> PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe is a file and a location that does not exist
> in Win98....it does exist in Windows ME and XP. Do you or did you have WinME or XP
> installed on that computer? Exactly what Registry entries keep "popping up"?

I have never had ME or XP installed. There are several registry entries.
This is part of one:

HKLM\Software\Classes\TypeLib\FC7D9E00-3F9E-11D3.............

I have never installed or uninstalled such a program. The path does not
exist, nor has it ever existed. The essential point is that the registry
entries are deleted, and several days or a week later they are back
pointing to the same non-existent path. This has certainly been going on
for a year or so.
--
r.s.nevin@att.net

There are often Registry entries created that don't point to anywhere,
for various reasons. Some are anticipatory, to help make Windows or the
installed application more compatible with a program that is likely to
be installed down the line. Some are simply there because the installer
chose not to differentiate between the possible platforms that it can be
installed on. Quite a bit of Microsoft apps and patches, in fact, tend
toward this behavior. Which is why people who use Registry Cleaners have
to exercise caution when deleting Registry entries without knowing what
they are intended to do. In this case, you can safely ignore them when
found (and make the decision permanent), or else be resigned to
perpetually removing these particular entries whenever they return.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:55:16 -0500, glee wrote:
>
> > PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe is a file and a location that
does not exist
> > in Win98....it does exist in Windows ME and XP. Do you or did you
have WinME or XP
> > installed on that computer? Exactly what Registry entries keep
"popping up"?

> I have never had ME or XP installed. There are several registry
entries.
> This is part of one:
>
> HKLM\Software\Classes\TypeLib\FC7D9E00-3F9E-11D3.............
>
> I have never installed or uninstalled such a program. The path does
not
> exist, nor has it ever existed. The essential point is that the
registry
> entries are deleted, and several days or a week later they are back
> pointing to the same non-existent path. This has certainly been going
on
> for a year or so.
> --
> r.s.nevin@att.net

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:32:52 -0800, Gary S. Terhune wrote:

> There are often Registry entries created that don't point to anywhere,
> for various reasons. Some are anticipatory, to help make Windows or the
> installed application more compatible with a program that is likely to
> be installed down the line. Some are simply there because the installer
> chose not to differentiate between the possible platforms that it can be
> installed on. Quite a bit of Microsoft apps and patches, in fact, tend
> toward this behavior. Which is why people who use Registry Cleaners have
> to exercise caution when deleting Registry entries without knowing what
> they are intended to do. In this case, you can safely ignore them when
> found (and make the decision permanent), or else be resigned to
> perpetually removing these particular entries whenever they return.

I have still not received a coherent explanation as to why these registry
entries continue to be installed referencing a path which has never existed
on my computer. Exactly what function of Win 98SE does this? You
understand. The registry entries are deleted. Why do they continue to
reappear?

HKLM\Software\Classes\TypeLib\FC7D9E00-3F9E.......\1.0\0\win32(and HELPDIR)

1.0 = "value not set"
0 = "value not set"
win32 = "path above\1"
HELPDIR = "path above"

I hope we can solve this. I have another one.
--
r.s.nevin@att.net

Sorry, I thought that was a seriously coherent explanation of "why these
registry entries continue to be installed referencing a path which has
never existed on (your) computer.) If what you want are specifics, as in
which specific app restores these specific entries and when, you'll have
to tell me what MS software you're running on the system. Because it's
obviously MS software that's doing it.

I repeat: They get reinstalled whenever you run the installer. The part
I left out that (I hope) will tie it altogether for you is:

These days, when you run an app, it's likely to run a "self-healing"
mini-install that checks to make sure something else hasn't changed the
Registry entries and other configurations that it presumes to own. This
is especially true of MS apps. Could be IE that's doing this particular
one, could be some other MS app--Office apps, for instance, are *very*
prone to this behavior. If you really want to know what does it,
specifically, you'll have to be very vigilant and monitor your system
like a hawk, performing a very deliberate, one-at-a-time running of
apps, checking after each launch to see if the entries return. Don't
forget to check immediately after starting the system, too. Use MSCONFIG
to control background apps. I suggest you *don't* use the Registry
Cleaner to find out if they came back--check the keys directly using
REGEDIT. And even when you find *one* thing that does it, keep testing,
because I'm betting it's not just one thing that does it.

Myself, I couldn't care less what's doing it, and don't see any harm in
leaving the entries right where they are, (except that it drives stupid
Registry Cleaners batty, <s>.) I've been using such Cleaners off and on
for years, and there's *always* been a varied set of entries that it
does absolutely no good to delete. They do no harm and they *will* get
replaced.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:32:52 -0800, Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>
> > There are often Registry entries created that don't point to
anywhere,
> > for various reasons. Some are anticipatory, to help make Windows or
the
> > installed application more compatible with a program that is likely
> > be installed down the line. Some are simply there because the
installer
> > chose not to differentiate between the possible platforms that it
can be
> > installed on. Quite a bit of Microsoft apps and patches, in fact,
tend
> > toward this behavior. Which is why people who use Registry Cleaners
have
> > to exercise caution when deleting Registry entries without knowing
what
> > they are intended to do. In this case, you can safely ignore them
when
> > found (and make the decision permanent), or else be resigned to
> > perpetually removing these particular entries whenever they return.
>
> I have still not received a coherent explanation as to why these
registry
> entries continue to be installed referencing a path which has never
existed
> on my computer. Exactly what function of Win 98SE does this? You
> understand. The registry entries are deleted. Why do they continue
> reappear?
>
> HKLM\Software\Classes\TypeLib\FC7D9E00-3F9E.......\1.0\0\win32(and
HELPDIR)

> 1.0 = "value not set"
> 0 = "value not set"
> win32 = "path above\1"
> HELPDIR = "path above"
>
> I hope we can solve this. I have another one.
> --
> r.s.nevin@att.net

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 03:46:19 GMT, Bob@see-below-for-address.com wrote:

"PC Health" is a fairly generic term that may apply to a broad range
of technologies in WinME, a particular subset of those technologies,
or some 3rd-party apps such as temp/voltage monitors that ship with
some motherboards. And it's always possible that things are not what
they seem, i.e. that malware usees such terms and names as camoflage.

Cats have 9 lives, which makes them
ideal for experimentation!