torcor

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
when I start my computer it says my processor is running 990mhz and my ram is running 233mhz then it says that my cpu is unworkable or has been changed hit del to enter soft menu or f1 to continue. I have been hitting f1 and the computer works.

I know my cpu is a athalon 2100 and my ram is suposed to be running at 400 mhz, is this going to slow down my computer. How can i fix it?

voidb4me2

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Do you know anything about your bios?
Im no expert but I had a computer that used to set my FSB and cpu clock to stupidly low levels after a bad boot. All I had to do was go into the bios and reset the defaults and it would be fine. (to do that press delete as it suggests and itll take u to a blue menu screen, where u should see pretty quickly how u can reset defaults)
Do that first - if that doesnt work, check the cd that shipped with with your motherboard for a utility that will help you Flash your bios. If it doesnt have one, go to your motherboard manufacturers website and poke about in the support section for information on flashing your bios - i guarantee you, they will have instrustions and a file for u to download.

If after flashing u still have the problem, im out of advice.

Good luck

MCGTech

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
when I start my computer it says my processor is running 990mhz and my ram is running 233mhz then it says that my cpu is unworkable or has been changed hit del to enter soft menu or f1 to continue. I have been hitting f1 and the computer works.

I know my cpu is a athalon 2100 and my ram is suposed to be running at 400 mhz, is this going to slow down my computer. How can i fix it?

Your cmos battery is probably dead. It's not unusual for the bios to default to safe (slow) settings when the cmos settings have been lost or the system fails to start due to erroneous settings. Look for a watch battery on your motherboard and replace it.

Also, if you are in the habit of turning off power supplied to the PC via a power strip or the power switch in the rear of the computer, that's OK (Assuming you exited Windows properly) but you will wear out the battery much quicker. Normally when you shut down the PC there is still power on the motherboard to maintain the cmos settings and to support automatic wakeup functions.. The battery is really intended as a backup for total power loss. Constant charge/discharge cycles will wear it out prematurely.

Another possibility is your cmos jumper is set to "clear". Got any family members monkying around with your machine? 8O

torcor

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I went into the soft menu area and then saved and it reset with the proper speeds but still had the "cpu has been changed or is unworkable hit del to enter softmenu f1 to continue" I hit f1 and i noticed my computer running alot faster. well i restarted it and it said i had a checksum error and went back to the original low settings. I can fix it each time i start it up. The disk i have that came with the motherboard is destroyed. But i know what company made my motherboard it is ABIT.

MCGTech

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Download and install this free program.

PC Wizard

Look up what model motherboard you have and the bios revision then download the latest bios revision. Yours may be corrupted.

G

I would suggest changing the battery before flashing the bios.
Those errors could happen even if the pc is plugged in but the battery voltage is too low.
Some boards dont even turn on if they have a bad battery.
I think that the battery is about 1$, so try that first. At least you dont have to worry about one problem! :lol: