scanregw.exe got lost

Scanregw.exe used to run at startup. It no longer appears in starup when I
run msconfig. When I try to run it manually I get error:"scanregw is not a
valid win32 application."
Any ideas why I lost it? How do I get it back?
I'm running Win98SE
4 answers Last reply
More about scanregw lost

    That error message is typically given when the file is corrupt, not when it
    is missing. Suggest you extract a new copy using sfc.exe:

    Run sfc.exe and select the "extract one file..." option. Type in the
    complete name of the missing file you want to restore or use the browse
    button for a file replacement. Click start and in the resulting window,
    browse to the location of the folder containing the W98 .cab files (either
    the hard drive or CDRom drive). If the information in the "save in" box is
    wrong, use the browse button to show where the file is to be restored to.
    Click OK and if appropriate, on the resulting screen, show the location
    where the file being replaced is to be backed up to. Click OK or skip as
    appropriate. Restart your computer and the file replacement will occur
    during the boot process.

    If you are going to use sfc.exe for other than the extract option, I highly
    recommend that you first read the article here:
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/using_sfc.html

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    Knowledge Base Info:

    "walsem" <walsem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Scanregw.exe used to run at startup. It no longer appears in starup when
    > run msconfig. When I try to run it manually I get error:"scanregw is not
    > valid win32 application."
    > Any ideas why I lost it? How do I get it back?
    > I'm running Win98SE

    Thanks. Fixed the file.
    NOW, how do I get scanregw.exe back into the list at msconfig/selective
    startup. It was there in the past, but not there now.

    "Ron Badour" wrote:

    > That error message is typically given when the file is corrupt, not when it
    > is missing. Suggest you extract a new copy using sfc.exe:
    >
    > Run sfc.exe and select the "extract one file..." option. Type in the
    > complete name of the missing file you want to restore or use the browse
    > button for a file replacement. Click start and in the resulting window,
    > browse to the location of the folder containing the W98 .cab files (either
    > the hard drive or CDRom drive). If the information in the "save in" box is
    > wrong, use the browse button to show where the file is to be restored to.
    > Click OK and if appropriate, on the resulting screen, show the location
    > where the file being replaced is to be backed up to. Click OK or skip as
    > appropriate. Restart your computer and the file replacement will occur
    > during the boot process.
    >
    > If you are going to use sfc.exe for other than the extract option, I highly
    > recommend that you first read the article here:
    > http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/using_sfc.html
    >

    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    > Knowledge Base Info:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    >
    > "walsem" <walsem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Scanregw.exe used to run at startup. It no longer appears in starup when
    > > run msconfig. When I try to run it manually I get error:"scanregw is not
    > > valid win32 application."
    > > Any ideas why I lost it? How do I get it back?
    > > I'm running Win98SE

    Check it at "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". It should read...
    ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun

    If the line is not there to be checked, then it must be entered at...

    ScanRegistry "c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun" <<STRING data

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "walsem2" <walsem2@hotmail.com(nospam)> wrote in message
    | Thanks. Fixed the file.
    | NOW, how do I get scanregw.exe back into the list at
    msconfig/selective
    | startup. It was there in the past, but not there now.
    |
    | "Ron Badour" wrote:
    |
    | > That error message is typically given when the file is corrupt, not
    when it
    | > is missing. Suggest you extract a new copy using sfc.exe:
    | >
    | > Run sfc.exe and select the "extract one file..." option. Type in
    the
    | > complete name of the missing file you want to restore or use the
    browse
    | > button for a file replacement. Click start and in the resulting
    window,
    | > browse to the location of the folder containing the W98 .cab files
    (either
    | > the hard drive or CDRom drive). If the information in the "save in"
    box is
    | > wrong, use the browse button to show where the file is to be
    restored to.
    | > Click OK and if appropriate, on the resulting screen, show the
    location
    | > where the file being replaced is to be backed up to. Click OK or
    skip as
    | > appropriate. Restart your computer and the file replacement will
    occur
    | > during the boot process.
    | >
    | > If you are going to use sfc.exe for other than the extract option, I
    highly
    | > recommend that you first read the article here:
    | > http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/using_sfc.html
    | >

    | > --
    | > Regards
    | >
    | > Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
    | > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
    | > Knowledge Base Info:
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
    | >
    | > "walsem" <walsem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > > Scanregw.exe used to run at startup. It no longer appears in
    starup when
    | > > run msconfig. When I try to run it manually I get error:"scanregw
    is not
    | > > valid win32 application."
    | > > Any ideas why I lost it? How do I get it back?
    | > > I'm running Win98SE

    Use REGEDIT. Find the following key:
    HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    Add a new String value. Name it Scan Registry. The value is the path to
    your Scanregw.exe file, usually C:\Windows\Scanregw.exe.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

Microsoft Msconfig Windows