scanregw.exe got lost

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 18, 2005 1:05:02 AM

Scanregw.exe used to run at startup. It no longer appears in starup when I
run msconfig. When I try to run it manually I get error:"scanregw is not a
valid win32 application."
Any ideas why I lost it? How do I get it back?
I'm running Win98SE

More about : scanregw exe lost

Anonymous
February 18, 2005 3:25:32 AM

That error message is typically given when the file is corrupt, not when it
is missing. Suggest you extract a new copy using sfc.exe:

Run sfc.exe and select the "extract one file..." option. Type in the
complete name of the missing file you want to restore or use the browse
button for a file replacement. Click start and in the resulting window,
browse to the location of the folder containing the W98 .cab files (either
the hard drive or CDRom drive). If the information in the "save in" box is
wrong, use the browse button to show where the file is to be restored to.
Click OK and if appropriate, on the resulting screen, show the location
where the file being replaced is to be backed up to. Click OK or skip as
appropriate. Restart your computer and the file replacement will occur
during the boot process.

If you are going to use sfc.exe for other than the extract option, I highly
recommend that you first read the article here:
http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/using_sfc.html

--
Regards

Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
Knowledge Base Info:

"walsem" <walsem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Scanregw.exe used to run at startup. It no longer appears in starup when
> run msconfig. When I try to run it manually I get error:"scanregw is not
> valid win32 application."
> Any ideas why I lost it? How do I get it back?
> I'm running Win98SE

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 4:45:01 PM

Thanks. Fixed the file.
NOW, how do I get scanregw.exe back into the list at msconfig/selective
startup. It was there in the past, but not there now.

"Ron Badour" wrote:

> That error message is typically given when the file is corrupt, not when it
> is missing. Suggest you extract a new copy using sfc.exe:
>
> Run sfc.exe and select the "extract one file..." option. Type in the
> complete name of the missing file you want to restore or use the browse
> button for a file replacement. Click start and in the resulting window,
> browse to the location of the folder containing the W98 .cab files (either
> the hard drive or CDRom drive). If the information in the "save in" box is
> wrong, use the browse button to show where the file is to be restored to.
> Click OK and if appropriate, on the resulting screen, show the location
> where the file being replaced is to be backed up to. Click OK or skip as
> appropriate. Restart your computer and the file replacement will occur
> during the boot process.
>
> If you are going to use sfc.exe for other than the extract option, I highly
> recommend that you first read the article here:
> http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/using_sfc.html
>

> --
> Regards
>
> Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
> Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
> Knowledge Base Info:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
>
> "walsem" <walsem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Scanregw.exe used to run at startup. It no longer appears in starup when
> > run msconfig. When I try to run it manually I get error:"scanregw is not
> > valid win32 application."
> > Any ideas why I lost it? How do I get it back?
> > I'm running Win98SE

March 6, 2005 7:58:09 PM

Check it at "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". It should read...
ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun

If the line is not there to be checked, then it must be entered at...

ScanRegistry "c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun" <<STRING data

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"walsem2" <walsem2@hotmail.com(nospam)> wrote in message
| Thanks. Fixed the file.
| NOW, how do I get scanregw.exe back into the list at
msconfig/selective
| startup. It was there in the past, but not there now.
|
| "Ron Badour" wrote:
|
| > That error message is typically given when the file is corrupt, not
when it
| > is missing. Suggest you extract a new copy using sfc.exe:
| >
| > Run sfc.exe and select the "extract one file..." option. Type in
the
| > complete name of the missing file you want to restore or use the
browse
| > button for a file replacement. Click start and in the resulting
window,
| > browse to the location of the folder containing the W98 .cab files
(either
| > the hard drive or CDRom drive). If the information in the "save in"
box is
| > wrong, use the browse button to show where the file is to be
restored to.
| > Click OK and if appropriate, on the resulting screen, show the
location
| > where the file being replaced is to be backed up to. Click OK or
skip as
| > appropriate. Restart your computer and the file replacement will
occur
| > during the boot process.
| >
| > If you are going to use sfc.exe for other than the extract option, I
highly
| > recommend that you first read the article here:
| > http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/using_sfc.html
| >

| > --
| > Regards
| >
| > Ron Badour, MS MVP Windows 98
| > Tips: http://home.satx.rr.com/badour
| > Knowledge Base Info:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=kbinfo
| >
| > "walsem" <walsem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > > Scanregw.exe used to run at startup. It no longer appears in
starup when
| > > run msconfig. When I try to run it manually I get error:"scanregw
is not
| > > valid win32 application."
| > > Any ideas why I lost it? How do I get it back?
| > > I'm running Win98SE

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 10:50:07 PM

Use REGEDIT. Find the following key:
HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
Add a new String value. Name it Scan Registry. The value is the path to
your Scanregw.exe file, usually C:\Windows\Scanregw.exe.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

!