Are lost clusters the same as bad clusters.......

That's good news then. Although does that mean when norton fixes them I
should be saving the lost clusters rather than deleting(question mark).
Norton does it's whole fixing thing and then asks afterwards what I want
to do with them. I sometimes save and sometimes allow them to be
deleted. Norton also offers to make some sort of back up file incase it
alters and does something naughty but I can't be bothered with doing
that so I skip.

--
PSYCHOPIXIE
1 answer Last reply

    It *is* possible to put these files back together. But you'd either have
    to learn how, yourself, or take it to a pro. You'd also want to save
    copies of cross-linked files before repairing them.

    I look into the files using a plain-text editor in order to possibly
    find out what they are. Particularly if they are image of text
    documents, even lost fragments can contain a significant amount of data
    that can be used as is.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1kn6bz@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

    > That's good news then. Although does that mean when norton fixes them
    > should be saving the lost clusters rather than deleting(question
    mark).
    > Norton does it's whole fixing thing and then asks afterwards what I
    want
    > to do with them. I sometimes save and sometimes allow them to be
    > deleted. Norton also offers to make some sort of back up file incase
    it
    > alters and does something naughty but I can't be bothered with doing
    > that so I skip.
    >

    > PCR Wrote:
    > > "jane" jane@internet.com wrote in message
    > > |
    > > | No, Lost Clusters aren't the same as bad clusters. Lost Clusters
    > > are
    > > | files with a head but no tail, or a tail with no head, or a
    middle
    > > with
    > > | no head and no tail....to put it simply, somewhere along the line
    > > the
    > > | integrity of the file got broken and the clusters that make it up
    > > are no
    > > | longer associated with each other properly. Lost Clusters are
    those
    > > | which aren't marked as deleted or empty, but which don't
    > > recognizably
    > > | belong to a file. You typically get Lost Clusters when forced to
    > > reset
    > > | or when Cross-linked files occur--parts of two files get
    > > incorrectly
    > > | linked together as one file, with the other parts that are left
    > > over
    > > | becoming Lost Clusters.
    > > |
    > > | Bad clusters are areas that are physically corrupted--can't be
    read
    > > in
    > > | part or in whole.
    > > |
    > > | WOE.
    > > | I am going to be a Dan for a second on your above reply gary.
    > > | That was the most Terse and comprehensive explanation I
    > > | have ever read.
    > > | Each line was an edification.
    > > |
    > > | **accolades**
    > > |
    > > | regards Jane
    > >
    > > I'd rather be "a head but no tail" than the other choices he has
    > > offered!
    > >
    > > --
    > > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > > There may be humor in this post, and,