Direct Printing to LPT1 is slow

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 18, 2005 7:19:02 AM

Hi everybody...

I've a Dell Optiplex GX1 with Windows 98SE, 64MB Ram.
I've developed a program that writes data directly to the LPT1 Port,
bypassing the installing printers on the system.

On other computers with Windows 98SE, it works fine. With the computer
described above, from Windows it prints, but when the program try to print to
LPT1 Port, the task is done but in "slow motion", one line at a time.

This computer was working with the program for at least 2 years and reports
no problems like this. I've already reinstalled Windows 98 to no avail.
I've already check disk fragmentation, port conflicts, reinstalled printer
drivers (I did it with some hope to solve this problem), also copied again
the lpt.vxd directly from the CD (with the extract utility). Also done a
Windows Update and nothing... The problem is only reported when printing
from any program that prints directly to the LPT1 Port. An example of what
looks alike my routine:

port = fileopen("lpt1") //Open the ports and wait for data
filewrite(port, 'some text here')
filewrite(port, 'some text here')
filewrite(port, 'some text here')
filewrite(port, 'some text here')
filewrite(port, 'some text here')
fileclose(port) //End the printjob

Please help is needed ASAP.. This computer is used in the payroll
department, and is used to print payments by check.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 9:09:07 AM

Let me check on PORTMON....

and on Bios, i've already change the configuration TO ecp, epp, spp, and
still the same...

I also thought it was a printer problem, but using the same printer on
another computer is doing the same thing is ok...

Also change the interface cable between the lpt1 port and the printer (the
printer cable) and still nothing... using the same cable with other
computer/printer works....

"Balbino Caballero" wrote:

> Hi everybody...
>
> I've a Dell Optiplex GX1 with Windows 98SE, 64MB Ram.
> I've developed a program that writes data directly to the LPT1 Port,
> bypassing the installing printers on the system.
>
> On other computers with Windows 98SE, it works fine. With the computer
> described above, from Windows it prints, but when the program try to print to
> LPT1 Port, the task is done but in "slow motion", one line at a time.
>
> This computer was working with the program for at least 2 years and reports
> no problems like this. I've already reinstalled Windows 98 to no avail.
> I've already check disk fragmentation, port conflicts, reinstalled printer
> drivers (I did it with some hope to solve this problem), also copied again
> the lpt.vxd directly from the CD (with the extract utility). Also done a
> Windows Update and nothing... The problem is only reported when printing
> from any program that prints directly to the LPT1 Port. An example of what
> looks alike my routine:
>
> port = fileopen("lpt1") //Open the ports and wait for data
> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> fileclose(port) //End the printjob
>
> Please help is needed ASAP.. This computer is used in the payroll
> department, and is used to print payments by check.
February 18, 2005 12:15:41 PM

"Balbino Caballero" <Balbino Caballero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:88117EBE-B8F9-49B8-B8C5-2DBDCB6B1952@microsoft.com...
> Hi everybody...
>
> I've a Dell Optiplex GX1 with Windows 98SE, 64MB Ram.
> I've developed a program that writes data directly to the LPT1 Port,
> bypassing the installing printers on the system.
>
> On other computers with Windows 98SE, it works fine. With the computer
> described above, from Windows it prints, but when the program try to print
> LPT1 Port, the task is done but in "slow motion", one line at a time.
>
> This computer was working with the program for at least 2 years and
> reports
> no problems like this. I've already reinstalled Windows 98 to no avail.
> I've already check disk fragmentation, port conflicts, reinstalled
> printer
> drivers (I did it with some hope to solve this problem), also copied again
> the lpt.vxd directly from the CD (with the extract utility). Also done a
> Windows Update and nothing... The problem is only reported when printing
> from any program that prints directly to the LPT1 Port. An example of
> what
> looks alike my routine:
>
> port = fileopen("lpt1") //Open the ports and wait for data
> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> fileclose(port) //End the printjob
>
> Please help is needed ASAP.. This computer is used in the payroll
> department, and is used to print payments by check.

do the BIOS settings for LPT1 ...SPP,EPP have any effect on the performance
?
February 18, 2005 1:18:50 PM

What happens if you try to print something from a DOS shell?
Like "dir > prn" or "copy [sometextfile] > prn"
Is it sluggish? If it is, try booting directly into DOS and try it.
No solution I realize, but might help troubleshooting a bit.

"=?Utf-8?B?QmFsYmlubyBDYWJhbGxlcm8=?=" <Balbino

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
February 18, 2005 1:32:19 PM

"Balbino Caballero" <Balbino Caballero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:36F858C1-8E80-4F0E-961A-00421B2360D1@microsoft.com...

> Let me check on PORTMON....
>
> and on Bios, i've already change the configuration TO ecp, epp, spp, and
> still the same...
>
> I also thought it was a printer problem, but using the same printer on
> another computer is doing the same thing is ok...
>
> Also change the interface cable between the lpt1 port and the printer (the
> printer cable) and still nothing... using the same cable with other
> computer/printer works....
>
> "Balbino Caballero" wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody...
>>
>> I've a Dell Optiplex GX1 with Windows 98SE, 64MB Ram.
>> I've developed a program that writes data directly to the LPT1 Port,
>> bypassing the installing printers on the system.
>>
>> On other computers with Windows 98SE, it works fine. With the computer
>> described above, from Windows it prints, but when the program try to
>> print to
>> LPT1 Port, the task is done but in "slow motion", one line at a time.
>>
>> This computer was working with the program for at least 2 years and
>> reports
>> no problems like this. I've already reinstalled Windows 98 to no avail.
>> I've already check disk fragmentation, port conflicts, reinstalled
>> printer
>> drivers (I did it with some hope to solve this problem), also copied
>> again
>> the lpt.vxd directly from the CD (with the extract utility). Also done a
>> Windows Update and nothing... The problem is only reported when printing
>> from any program that prints directly to the LPT1 Port. An example of
>> what
>> looks alike my routine:
>>
>> port = fileopen("lpt1") //Open the ports and wait for data
>> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
>> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
>> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
>> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
>> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
>> fileclose(port) //End the printjob
>>
>> Please help is needed ASAP.. This computer is used in the payroll
>> department, and is used to print payments by check.

let us know :>
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 1:32:20 PM

Here is the output that portmon generates...

0 3.65345360 Planilla VCOMM_OpenComm LPT1 SUCCESS
1 0.00001280 Planilla VCOMM_EscapeCommFunction LPT1 SUCCESS CLRTIMERLOGIC
2 0.00000640 Planilla VCOMM_EscapeCommFunction LPT1 SUCCESS IGNOREERRORONREADS
3 0.00000880 Planilla VCOMM_SetupComm LPT1 SUCCESS RxSize: 4096 TxSize: 0
4 0.00000640 Planilla VCOMM_GetCommQueueStatus LPT1 SUCCESS RX: 0 TX: 0
5 0.63182800 Planilla VCOMM_SetWriteCallBack LPT1 SUCCESS Trigger: 1
6 0.00002160 Planilla VCOMM_WriteComm LPT1 SUCCESS Length: 0:

"Haggis" escribió:

> "Balbino Caballero" <Balbino Caballero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:36F858C1-8E80-4F0E-961A-00421B2360D1@microsoft.com...
> >
> > Let me check on PORTMON....
> >
> > and on Bios, i've already change the configuration TO ecp, epp, spp, and
> > still the same...
> >
> > I also thought it was a printer problem, but using the same printer on
> > another computer is doing the same thing is ok...
> >
> > Also change the interface cable between the lpt1 port and the printer (the
> > printer cable) and still nothing... using the same cable with other
> > computer/printer works....
> >
> > "Balbino Caballero" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi everybody...
> >>
> >> I've a Dell Optiplex GX1 with Windows 98SE, 64MB Ram.
> >> I've developed a program that writes data directly to the LPT1 Port,
> >> bypassing the installing printers on the system.
> >>
> >> On other computers with Windows 98SE, it works fine. With the computer
> >> described above, from Windows it prints, but when the program try to
> >> print to
> >> LPT1 Port, the task is done but in "slow motion", one line at a time.
> >>
> >> This computer was working with the program for at least 2 years and
> >> reports
> >> no problems like this. I've already reinstalled Windows 98 to no avail.
> >> I've already check disk fragmentation, port conflicts, reinstalled
> >> printer
> >> drivers (I did it with some hope to solve this problem), also copied
> >> again
> >> the lpt.vxd directly from the CD (with the extract utility). Also done a
> >> Windows Update and nothing... The problem is only reported when printing
> >> from any program that prints directly to the LPT1 Port. An example of
> >> what
> >> looks alike my routine:
> >>
> >> port = fileopen("lpt1") //Open the ports and wait for data
> >> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> >> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> >> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> >> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> >> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> >> fileclose(port) //End the printjob
> >>
> >> Please help is needed ASAP.. This computer is used in the payroll
> >> department, and is used to print payments by check.
>

> let us know :>

February 18, 2005 2:31:07 PM

"Balbino Caballero Pino" <Balbino Caballero Pino@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:4F554334-1284-4AC4-A579-85738174962F@microsoft.com...
> Here is the output that portmon generates...
>
> 0 3.65345360 Planilla VCOMM_OpenComm LPT1 SUCCESS
> 1 0.00001280 Planilla VCOMM_EscapeCommFunction LPT1 SUCCESS CLRTIMERLOGIC
> 2 0.00000640 Planilla VCOMM_EscapeCommFunction LPT1 SUCCESS
> IGNOREERRORONREADS
> 3 0.00000880 Planilla VCOMM_SetupComm LPT1 SUCCESS RxSize: 4096 TxSize: 0
> 4 0.00000640 Planilla VCOMM_GetCommQueueStatus LPT1 SUCCESS RX: 0 TX: 0
> 5 0.63182800 Planilla VCOMM_SetWriteCallBack LPT1 SUCCESS Trigger: 1
> 6 0.00002160 Planilla VCOMM_WriteComm LPT1 SUCCESS Length: 0:
>

> "Haggis" escribió:
>

>> "Balbino Caballero" <Balbino Caballero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:36F858C1-8E80-4F0E-961A-00421B2360D1@microsoft.com...
>> >
>> > Let me check on PORTMON....
>> >
>> > and on Bios, i've already change the configuration TO ecp, epp, spp,
>> > and
>> > still the same...
>> >
>> > I also thought it was a printer problem, but using the same printer on
>> > another computer is doing the same thing is ok...
>> >
>> > Also change the interface cable between the lpt1 port and the printer
>> > (the
>> > printer cable) and still nothing... using the same cable with other
>> > computer/printer works....

>> let us know :>

I don't see anything to account for the slowdown ... Ingeborg ?
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 4:34:34 PM

"=?Utf-8?B?QmFsYmlubyBDYWJhbGxlcm8=?=" <Balbino
Caballero@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Hi everybody...
>
> I've a Dell Optiplex GX1 with Windows 98SE, 64MB Ram.
> I've developed a program that writes data directly to the LPT1 Port,
> bypassing the installing printers on the system.
>
> On other computers with Windows 98SE, it works fine. With the
> computer described above, from Windows it prints, but when the program
> try to print to LPT1 Port, the task is done but in "slow motion", one
> line at a time.
>
> This computer was working with the program for at least 2 years and
> reports no problems like this. I've already reinstalled Windows 98 to
> no avail. I've already check disk fragmentation, port conflicts,
> reinstalled printer drivers (I did it with some hope to solve this
> problem), also copied again the lpt.vxd directly from the CD (with the
> extract utility). Also done a Windows Update and nothing... The
> problem is only reported when printing from any program that prints
> directly to the LPT1 Port. An example of what looks alike my
> routine:
>
> port = fileopen("lpt1") //Open the ports and wait for data
> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> filewrite(port, 'some text here')
> fileclose(port) //End the printjob
>
> Please help is needed ASAP.. This computer is used in the payroll
> department, and is used to print payments by check.

Maybe the program portmon from www.sysinternals.com can give you further
information?
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 12:29:03 AM

"Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in

> "Balbino Caballero Pino" <Balbino Caballero
> Pino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Here is the output that portmon generates...
>>
>> 0 3.65345360 Planilla VCOMM_OpenComm LPT1 SUCCESS
>> 1 0.00001280 Planilla VCOMM_EscapeCommFunction LPT1 SUCCESS
>> CLRTIMERLOGIC 2 0.00000640 Planilla VCOMM_EscapeCommFunction LPT1
>> SUCCESS IGNOREERRORONREADS
>> 3 0.00000880 Planilla VCOMM_SetupComm LPT1 SUCCESS RxSize: 4096
>> TxSize: 0 4 0.00000640 Planilla VCOMM_GetCommQueueStatus LPT1 SUCCESS
>> RX: 0 TX: 0 5 0.63182800 Planilla VCOMM_SetWriteCallBack LPT1 SUCCESS
>> Trigger: 1 6 0.00002160 Planilla VCOMM_WriteComm LPT1 SUCCESS Length:
>> 0:
>>

>> "Haggis" escribió:
>>

>>> "Balbino Caballero" <Balbino Caballero@discussions.microsoft.com>
>>> wrote in
>>> message news:36F858C1-8E80-4F0E-961A-00421B2360D1@microsoft.com...

>>> let us know :>
>>>

> I don't see anything to account for the slowdown ... Ingeborg ?

No. Everthing I see seems OK. But I don't see any data written to the
port.

I was thinking, W98 has a printing feature which maybe causes this
problem, but I don't know the English word for it.

When you go to the 'Printers' page in control panel, rightclick the
printer, choose properties->tab details. Then a button 'wait queue
settings' or something like that. Try different settings here.

When this doesn't work, I suggest a workaround. When you write to an
ordinairy file, you can reboot to dos and copy the file to the
printerport.
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 9:11:01 AM

Hi everyone...

from the DOS Shell doing what Mr. Hershberger wrote, it prints slow, from
any DOS application that needs to print directly to the LPT1 port it prints
slow..
I've check this also on my own computer, that reports the same computer,
and the only difference between them is that in mine i do a clean install on
my computer and everything works fine....

The other computer I'm troubleshooting , i can't do a clean install on it,
because it has too much sensitive data ( if u know what i mean ... :(  )...

As Mr. Haggis says, in the output file i send from portmon utility, that's
the only piece of code i got, because the printer hungs up in the middle of
printing... it opens the port, send some info and when it supposed to start
printing, with portmon it hungs up.... if i do it normally, it starts
printing at a slow rate....

!