Sign in with
Your question

Help can't overclock.

Last response: in CPUs
April 18, 2006 7:54:58 AM

Hello, I have a problem. My computer fell off my bed. Everthing was assembled and in the case. I turned it on with no problems but I've been having random reboots and crashes and I can't overclock it anymore. I changed the htt speed in the bios but i doesn't register in system properties. I've changed the battery on the motherboard and reseted the bios but it is still not registering. I also RMA'ed the motherboard and that didn't fix the problem. Could the fall damage the CPU. Thanks for any replies.

These are my system specs:
Asus A8N-E motherboard
AMD athlon 64 3200+
OCZ 2 x 1GB platinum DDR400
Antec 450W smartpower
BFG Geforce 6800GT

More about : overclock

April 18, 2006 8:58:45 AM

sounds like you damaged your hard drive.
April 18, 2006 9:19:34 AM

what settings have you used for overclocking?
(CPU clock & multiplier & voltage, DDR clock & latencies & voltage(default and overclocked), HTT multiplier, PCIe/PCI clock & synchronisation clock mode)
is your system working without overclocking?
Related resources
April 18, 2006 7:56:57 PM

Quote:
It sounds like your HSF clip got loose. If so you would've notice the temperature increase anyway.

It states that he replaced the motherboard, which means he had to reinstall the cpu and hsf onto the new one.
April 18, 2006 8:15:02 PM

Quote:
It sounds like your HSF clip got loose. If so you would've notice the temperature increase anyway.

It states that he replaced the motherboard, which means he had to reinstall the cpu and hsf onto the new one.

wusy is right on IMHO, the HSF mounting mechanism could have been damaged in the fall, preventing it from being properly seated on the new motherboard.

Quote:
I changed the htt speed in the bios but i doesn't register in system properties. I've changed the battery on the motherboard and reseted the bios but it is still not registering.

Are you sure that you are changing the correct values ? More details about what your previous settings were and what settings you are trying to change would be helpfull.

[/quote]
April 18, 2006 8:38:12 PM

Quote:
the HSF mounting mechanism could have been damaged in the fall, preventing it from being properly seated on the new motherboard.

So the CPU temperature protection is shutting it down?
April 18, 2006 10:17:44 PM

Quote:
So the CPU temperature protection is shutting it down?

We will have to wait for him to post in order to find out, we're just throwing ideas around at this point.
April 18, 2006 11:00:12 PM

Yep, something must have been broken, crack, chip and loosen with that fall. Best bet is to remove all parts and individually check each one for damage to narrow it down to the defective components. Who knows it could be your PSU taken a hit during the fall.You get another pc and test every single components one at a time. It may take you forever to do it but it's very precise and you'll find out what been causing the problem.
April 19, 2006 12:49:51 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:
(CPU clock & multiplier & voltage, DDR clock & latencies & voltage(default and overclocked), HTT multiplier, PCIe/PCI clock & synchronisation clock mode)

These are the settings:

Timing Mode: Manual
Memclock index value: 400 mhz
Cas latency (TCL) : 2.5 // 2 default
Min ras active time (TRAS) : 5
Ras to Cas delay (TRCD) : 3
Row precharge time (TRP) : 2
Row Cycle time (TRC) : 12
Row refresh cycle time (TRFC) :16
Read-to-write time (TRWT) : 2
Write recovery time (TWR) : 2
1T/2T memory timing : 1
S/W Dram over 4gb remapping : Disabled
H/W Dram over 4gb remapping : Disabled

Hyper transport frequency : 4 // auto default
Amd K8 Cool'nQuiet : Disabled

Jumperfree Configuration:

Overclock profile: Manual
CPU frequency : 220 // 200 default
PCI Express : 100mhz
DDR voltage : 2.7
Chipset voltage : 1.5
HT voltage : 1.20
CPU multiplier : 10
CPU voltage : 1.550 // auto default
PCI clock syncronization mode : 33.33mhz

Everthing is pretty much default settings except for the CPU frequency and voltage.

I have a zalman 7000 alcu heatsink and I reinstalled it. Everythinng looks fine, nothing looks broken. I didn't open the PSU and check to see if everything is ok. If it is the processor do you thing I can get a new one from AMD?
April 19, 2006 1:44:31 AM

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies.

These are the settings:

Timing Mode: Manual
Memclock index value: 400 mhz
Cas latency (TCL) : 2.5 // 2 default
Min ras active time (TRAS) : 5
Ras to Cas delay (TRCD) : 3
Row precharge time (TRP) : 2
Row Cycle time (TRC) : 12
Row refresh cycle time (TRFC) :16
Read-to-write time (TRWT) : 2
Write recovery time (TWR) : 2
1T/2T memory timing : 1
S/W Dram over 4gb remapping : Disabled
H/W Dram over 4gb remapping : Disabled

Hyper transport frequency : 4 // auto default
Amd K8 Cool'nQuiet : Disabled

Jumperfree Configuration:

Overclock profile: Manual
CPU frequency : 220 // 200 default
PCI Express : 100mhz
DDR voltage : 2.7
Chipset voltage : 1.5
HT voltage : 1.20
CPU multiplier : 10
CPU voltage : 1.550 // auto default
PCI clock syncronization mode : 33.33mhz

Everthing is pretty much default settings except for the CPU frequency and voltage.

I have a zalman 7000 alcu heatsink and I reinstalled it. Everythinng looks fine, nothing looks broken. I didn't open the PSU and check to see if everything is ok. If it is the processor do you thing I can get a new one from AMD? You might be able to get a new CPU, but AMD is money hungry like any other company so you might not. I doubt it is the CPU. If IT was damaged, you would likely be experiencing more serious complications.
April 19, 2006 3:16:31 AM

First of all make sure to check that all your connections are right.

You've already RMA'd the mobo, so next substitute the HDD for a spare one. If that doesn't fix anything then substitute the memory next to see if that makes any difference. Since I doubt it would be the power supply, make that the last thing you check. Try removing all PCI cards, and substitute the video card if possible. Only then RMA the CPU, and if all else fails, take back the power supply...

How did you manage to "drop" your computer anyway??

Oh yeah and reset the BIOS so that everything's at stock speeds.
April 19, 2006 5:46:13 AM

Ok I rechecked everything and I found that a capacitor on the video card was loose. So I think i'm going to RMA it. I have another pc that is working so I'll substitute the parts in there.

Quote:
How did you manage to "drop" your computer anyway??

After I assembled it I left it on my bed beacuse I had to do somthing else. When I came back it was on the floor.
April 19, 2006 6:47:52 AM

So should I RMA the motherboard?
April 21, 2006 12:26:51 AM

I'll wait for the video card I RMA'd and if that will not work I get try the DFI board. Thanks helping everyone.
!