Can't open folders & more

Hi,

For some reason my computer stopped allowing me to open folders and more.

I double-click on folders, control panel, etc... and nothing happens.

If Iclick on a folder then press ENTER...Folders don't open that way either.

Any ideas?

Bye & thanks,

JV
2 answers Last reply
More about open folders more

    I know there was a thread about this recently but can't find it. Also,
    I'm having little success at...
    http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=1139 MSKB

    (1) Have you installed or used a new option in some program lately?
    (2) Are you up-to-date on virus definitions?
    (3) From the sound of it, I doubt the following will handle folder
    associations. However, I also doubt it could do much harm.
    http://www.dougknox.com/utility/98fileassoc/98_file_assoc.htm
    Windows 98 File Associations
    ....Quote of site...........
    These files are REG files (in ZIP format). They will restore the
    default values for File Type associations.

    Usage: Download the ZIP file and extract the REG file inside. Double
    click the REG file you extracted and answer yes to the import prompt.
    REG files can be viewed in Notepad by right clicking on them and
    selecting Edit.
    .....EOQ of site.............

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "JV" <john@nelson-vrooman.com> wrote in message
    | Hi,
    |
    | For some reason my computer stopped allowing me to open folders and
    more.

    | I double-click on folders, control panel, etc... and nothing happens.
    |
    | If Iclick on a folder then press ENTER...Folders don't open that way
    either.

    | Any ideas?
    |
    | Bye & thanks,
    |
    | JV

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open\command
    (Default) "c:\windows\Explorer.exe /idlist,%I,%L"

    Can you get to that Registry key, & check it looks like mine, (not to
    mention Ingeborg's)? Well...

    (1) "START button, Run, Regedit"
    (2) Click plus signs, beginning left of "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT",
    & ending left of "open".
    (3) Click "command" in the left pane under "open", & look in the right
    pane.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    "JV" <john@nelson-vrooman.com> wrote in message
    | Hi,
    |
    | For some reason my computer stopped allowing me to open folders and
    more.

    | I double-click on folders, control panel, etc... and nothing happens.
    |
    | If Iclick on a folder then press ENTER...Folders don't open that way
    either.

    | Any ideas?
    |
    | Bye & thanks,
    |
    | JV

Control Panel Computers Microsoft Windows