CDRom in Safe Mode

Is there any way to make the CDRom show up in Safe Mode?
I have the drivers configured properly in config.sys and autoexec.bat and
can see my CDRom from "Command Prompt only".
But in Safe Mode, the drive just doesn't show up.
I can think of many reasons why having it available would be very useful,
and can't understand why NOT having it unavailable makes Safe Mode any
safer than it already is!
I'm talking Windows 98 SE but the same holds true for 95 and ME. 2000 on up
it's there.

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

How to Make Your CD-ROM Drive Accessible in Safe Mode
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=194846
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Menno Hershberger" <mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote in message
> Is there any way to make the CDRom show up in Safe Mode?
> I have the drivers configured properly in config.sys and autoexec.bat and
> can see my CDRom from "Command Prompt only".
> But in Safe Mode, the drive just doesn't show up.
> I can think of many reasons why having it available would be very useful,
> and can't understand why NOT having it unavailable makes Safe Mode any
> safer than it already is!
> I'm talking Windows 98 SE but the same holds true for 95 and ME. 2000 on up
> it's there.
>
> --
> --- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:24:48 -0800, Menno Hershberger
<mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote:

>Is there any way to make the CDRom show up in Safe Mode?
>I have the drivers configured properly in config.sys and autoexec.bat and
>can see my CDRom from "Command Prompt only".
>But in Safe Mode, the drive just doesn't show up.
>I can think of many reasons why having it available would be very useful,
>and can't understand why NOT having it unavailable makes Safe Mode any
>safer than it already is!
>I'm talking Windows 98 SE but the same holds true for 95 and ME. 2000 on up
>it's there.

Menno,

Boot to Command Prompt Only
To get into Windows Safe Mode with CDrom support enter:
Win.com /d:m

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.epix.net/~bwatt/

Bill Watt <nobwatt@epix.net> wrote in

> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:24:48 -0800, Menno Hershberger
><mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote:
>
>>Is there any way to make the CDRom show up in Safe Mode?
>>I have the drivers configured properly in config.sys and autoexec.bat
>>and can see my CDRom from "Command Prompt only".
>>But in Safe Mode, the drive just doesn't show up.
>>I can think of many reasons why having it available would be very
>>useful, and can't understand why NOT having it unavailable makes Safe
>>Mode any safer than it already is!
>>I'm talking Windows 98 SE but the same holds true for 95 and ME. 2000
>>on up it's there.
>
> Menno,
>
> Boot to Command Prompt Only
> To get into Windows Safe Mode with CDrom support enter:
> Win.com /d:m

OK, thanks to you and Glee also. It's funny that it isn't documented. A
"win /?" shows /d:m as bringing up safe mode, but it doesn't say anything
about the CDRom. Also, I Googled for an answer before I ever posted here
and didn't come up with anything. I'll certainly stick "WIN /D:m" up on
the wall in my shop with big letters!

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:46:30 -0800, Menno Hershberger
<mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote:

>Bill Watt <nobwatt@epix.net> wrote in
>
>> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 11:24:48 -0800, Menno Hershberger
>><mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Is there any way to make the CDRom show up in Safe Mode?
>>>I have the drivers configured properly in config.sys and autoexec.bat
>>>and can see my CDRom from "Command Prompt only".
>>>But in Safe Mode, the drive just doesn't show up.
>>>I can think of many reasons why having it available would be very
>>>useful, and can't understand why NOT having it unavailable makes Safe
>>>Mode any safer than it already is!
>>>I'm talking Windows 98 SE but the same holds true for 95 and ME. 2000
>>>on up it's there.
>>
>> Menno,
>>
>> Boot to Command Prompt Only
>> To get into Windows Safe Mode with CDrom support enter:
>> Win.com /d:m
>
>OK, thanks to you and Glee also. It's funny that it isn't documented. A
>"win /?" shows /d:m as bringing up safe mode, but it doesn't say anything
>about the CDRom. Also, I Googled for an answer before I ever posted here
>and didn't come up with anything. I'll certainly stick "WIN /D:m" up on
>the wall in my shop with big letters!

Menno,

Put the URL Glen posted on the wall also. For when there are no
CDrom Dos drivers in the autoexec.bat and config.sys files. You need
to be able to access the CDrom from Dos in order for the Win /d:m
command to work.

> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:46:30 -0800, Menno Hershberger
><mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote:
>
>>Bill Watt <nobwatt@epix.net> wrote in

>>> Menno,
>>>
>>> Boot to Command Prompt Only
>>> To get into Windows Safe Mode with CDrom support enter:
>>> Win.com /d:m
>>
>>OK, thanks to you and Glee also. It's funny that it isn't documented.
>>A "win /?" shows /d:m as bringing up safe mode, but it doesn't say
>>anything about the CDRom. Also, I Googled for an answer before I ever
>>posted here and didn't come up with anything. I'll certainly stick
>>"WIN /D:m" up on the wall in my shop with big letters!
>
> Menno,
>
> Put the URL Glen posted on the wall also. For when there are no
> CDrom Dos drivers in the autoexec.bat and config.sys files. You need
> to be able to access the CDrom from Dos in order for the Win /d:m
> command to work.

Now *those* lines I am real familiar with....
I have a floppy disk with a file called "cdrom.txt" on it containing only
those two lines....
DEVICE=OakCdRom.SYS /D:MSCD001
LH c:\windows\command\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001
I'm not too sure I don't have them memorized!
Of course OakCdRom.sys doesn't work for all of them, but damn nearit....

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:26:07 -0800, Menno Hershberger
<mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote:

>Bill Watt <nobwatt@epix.net> wrote in
>
>> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:46:30 -0800, Menno Hershberger
>><mhersh22@nosuchplace.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Bill Watt <nobwatt@epix.net> wrote in

>>>OK, thanks to you and Glee also. It's funny that it isn't documented.
>>>A "win /?" shows /d:m as bringing up safe mode, but it doesn't say
>>>anything about the CDRom. Also, I Googled for an answer before I ever
>>>posted here and didn't come up with anything. I'll certainly stick
>>>"WIN /D:m" up on the wall in my shop with big letters!
>>
>> Menno,
>>
>> Put the URL Glen posted on the wall also. For when there are no
>> CDrom Dos drivers in the autoexec.bat and config.sys files. You need
>> to be able to access the CDrom from Dos in order for the Win /d:m
>> command to work.
>
>Now *those* lines I am real familiar with....
>I have a floppy disk with a file called "cdrom.txt" on it containing only
>those two lines....
>DEVICE=OakCdRom.SYS /D:MSCD001
>LH c:\windows\command\MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001
>I'm not too sure I don't have them memorized!
>Of course OakCdRom.sys doesn't work for all of them, but damn nearit....

This line goes in the Autoexec.bat file:
LH C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001

This line goes in Config.sys:
DEVICEHIGH=C:\windows\command\Oakcdrom.sys /D:MSCD001

The DEVICEHIGH and LH at the front of the lines assumes Himem.sys is
loaded in the Config.sys file. If not, these lines should be at the
top of the Config.sys file, in this order:
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
DOS=HIGH,UMB

As you say this works for most CDrom's but not all. I have been
using the lines and I have Dos support for both my CDrom's, one is a
CDRW, the other a DVD.

I'm posting the details in case others want to try it.