Bug in wireless configuration for Win Mobile 2003 SE?

October 22, 2004 5:01:00 PM

I just got an Ipaq 4700 and am having intermittent connection problems with
my wireless access point. The tech support for my Buffalo Airstation told me
to disable the EAP authentication checkmark in the network adapter tab. (I'm
using WPA-PSK TKIP). Windows Mobile 2003 will not allow me to disable EAP -
it has a greyed out checkmark. According to Microsoft and HP documentation,
I should be able to disable EAP authentication while using WPA-PSK TKIP. In
my laptop computer I can easily uncheck it.

The result is that my Ipaq gets disconnected every 3 minutes or so.

Any suggestions? Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 6:48:16 PM

Interesting...On my iPAQ 5555 that is also grayed out and checked. I connect just fine using WPA-PSK
(TKIP) to a Buffalo WBR-G54.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Gillian" <gkerr@realworldsystems.net> wrote in message
>I just got an Ipaq 4700 and am having intermittent connection problems with my wireless access
>point. The tech support for my Buffalo Airstation told me to disable the EAP authentication
>checkmark in the network adapter tab. (I'm using WPA-PSK TKIP). Windows Mobile 2003 will not allow
>me to disable EAP - it has a greyed out checkmark. According to Microsoft and HP documentation, I
>should be able to disable EAP authentication while using WPA-PSK TKIP. In my laptop computer I can
>easily uncheck it.
>
> The result is that my Ipaq gets disconnected every 3 minutes or so.
>
> Any suggestions? Anyone else having this problem?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
October 22, 2004 7:00:40 PM

Here is how my iPAQ and Buffalo configurations look...

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/WM2003/WPA_Configuration/...

--

> Interesting...On my iPAQ 5555 that is also grayed out and checked. I connect just fine using
> WPA-PSK (TKIP) to a Buffalo WBR-G54.
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> "Gillian" <gkerr@realworldsystems.net> wrote in message
>>I just got an Ipaq 4700 and am having intermittent connection problems with my wireless access
>>point. The tech support for my Buffalo Airstation told me to disable the EAP authentication
>>checkmark in the network adapter tab. (I'm using WPA-PSK TKIP). Windows Mobile 2003 will not allow
>>me to disable EAP - it has a greyed out checkmark. According to Microsoft and HP documentation, I
>>should be able to disable EAP authentication while using WPA-PSK TKIP. In my laptop computer I can
>>easily uncheck it.
>>
>> The result is that my Ipaq gets disconnected every 3 minutes or so.
>>
>> Any suggestions? Anyone else having this problem?
>>
>> Thanks

Anonymous
October 23, 2004 8:46:14 PM

Yup, that's exactly how my AirStation setup and 4700 setup looks too. I
connect to the WAN sometimes, but get disconnected after a few minutes. The
Buffalo tech said that would be expected with EAP checked, as it is in your
setup and mine. Weird...

It turns out that my 4700 also doesn't allow me to uncheck EAP
authentication on the shared WEP setting. I can uncheck it on the screen,
but it refers to 'enabled' as soon as I click on 'ok'. This is apparently a
bug in some versions of the 4700 according to this newsgroup:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/qu...

In addition, there is another bug in some 4700s that may or may not be
related; my iPAQ failed the test program described here:
http://www.ipaqhq.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10339

HP tech support has agreed to replace or repair my iPAQ and has arranged for
courier pickup. We'll see what happens.

- Gillian

!