Another Mystery Desktop Icon

I'm running Win 98 and have a "MS" icon on my desktop with the name "~".
I can't seem to open it with any of the programs I've tried - I keep
getting the message that "~" is not a valid file.

When I click on "Properties", there is only one "General" tab with the
following information: Location: C:\Windows\Desktop
Type: File
Size: 176 KB
Created: Thursday, Feb. 3/05
Attributes: Archive

Any suggestions how I can open this file to find out what it is?

Thanks
Ed

~ file on the desktop is a recurring bug from an update to OE, it is a copy
of the address.book created as a placeholder when the address book was being
updated. if you renamed it 'somename.wab' it would open in your address book
by clicking it, it can be deleted

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
_

"Old-timer" <anamcara2@sympatico.deletethis.ca> wrote in message
> I'm running Win 98 and have a "MS" icon on my desktop with the name "~".
> I can't seem to open it with any of the programs I've tried - I keep
> getting the message that "~" is not a valid file.
>
> When I click on "Properties", there is only one "General" tab with the
> following information: Location: C:\Windows\Desktop
> Type: File
> Size: 176 KB
> Created: Thursday, Feb. 3/05
> Attributes: Archive
>
> Any suggestions how I can open this file to find out what it is?
>
> Thanks
> Ed

Bo (well, it's almost Bob) :)

Thanks, that's what it was and it's now deleted.

Ed