Another Mystery Desktop Icon

I'm running Win 98 and have a "MS" icon on my desktop with the name "~".
I can't seem to open it with any of the programs I've tried - I keep
getting the message that "~" is not a valid file.

When I click on "Properties", there is only one "General" tab with the
following information: Location: C:\Windows\Desktop
Type: File
Size: 176 KB
Created: Thursday, Feb. 3/05
Attributes: Archive

Any suggestions how I can open this file to find out what it is?

Thanks
Ed
2 answers Last reply
More about another mystery desktop icon

    ~ file on the desktop is a recurring bug from an update to OE, it is a copy
    of the address.book created as a placeholder when the address book was being
    updated. if you renamed it 'somename.wab' it would open in your address book
    by clicking it, it can be deleted

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
    _

    "Old-timer" <anamcara2@sympatico.deletethis.ca> wrote in message
    > I'm running Win 98 and have a "MS" icon on my desktop with the name "~".
    > I can't seem to open it with any of the programs I've tried - I keep
    > getting the message that "~" is not a valid file.
    >
    > When I click on "Properties", there is only one "General" tab with the
    > following information: Location: C:\Windows\Desktop
    > Type: File
    > Size: 176 KB
    > Created: Thursday, Feb. 3/05
    > Attributes: Archive
    >
    > Any suggestions how I can open this file to find out what it is?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ed

    Bo (well, it's almost Bob) :-)

    Thanks, that's what it was and it's now deleted.

    Ed

    AlmostBob wrote:

    > ~ file on the desktop is a recurring bug from an update to OE, it is a copy
    > of the address.book created as a placeholder when the address book was being
    > updated. if you renamed it 'somename.wab' it would open in your address book
    > by clicking it, it can be deleted

Desktops Microsoft Windows