Are lost clusters the same as bad clusters.......

So can lost clusters be part of something important then? ie part of a
essential windows program? I will 'save' from now on when norton starts
repairing. Does the windows scan disk program pick up on lost clusters
or am I better off sticking to my norton disk doctor?

--
PSYCHOPIXIE
1 answer Last reply

    Lost Clusters can be part of *any* file. But if it's a system file, you
    aren't likely to be able to put it back together. The correct procedure
    is to extract a new copy from Windows or Internet Explorer Setup files.
    (Or from elsewhere, actually--wherever the version of he file you have
    came from.)

    Windows Scandisk picks up on Lost Clusters just fine.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1ko3ny@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    > > | belong to a file. You typically get Lost Clusters when forced to
    > > reset
    > > | or when Cross-linked files occur--parts of two files get
    > > incorrectly
    > > | linked together as one file, with the other parts that are left
    > > over
    > > | becoming Lost Clusters.
    > > |
    > > | Bad clusters are areas that are physically corrupted--can't be--
    > > read--
    > > in
    > > | part or in whole.
    > > |
    > > | WOE.
    > > | I am going to be a Dan for a second on your above reply gary.
    > > | That was the most Terse and comprehensive explanation I
    > > | have ever read.
    > > | Each line was an edification.
    > > |
    > > | **accolades**
    > > |
    > > | regards Jane
    > >
    > > I'd rather be "a head but no tail" than the other choices he has

Internet Explorer Norton Windows