Upgrading to xp:memory,cdrom burner,overdrive stuff

2-19-05Been trying to upgrade to xp. Preinstalled CD-RW writer plus gave up.
What do you gurus think about skipping CD-RW driver replacement if I only use
for b/u's? I bought a Memorex TravelDrive Flash Drive, USB 2.0 to b/u; it is
irresistible: fast, long-lasting, compact, easy, and removable! So that is my
backup system.
Should I uninstallation to free up a bay and some harddrive space? I
upgraded computer memory to 256MB but it has only slightly changed my browser
reactivity and can only assume it will worsen when I load it down with
another os. I've freed up another 16.2MB deleting seldom/ unused programs and
files but could purge deeper if necessary with screensavers, themes, and the
burner.Would adding more harddrive help with dual boot os?
Where do I find information regarding IF my computer is able to run Wxp? Is
there any hardware tweaks I am able to do to maximize my system?
Any opinions on "overdrive" processor upgrades, is mine a candidate, and if
so, where do I find them? I am running W98,SE on a hp 8665c Pentium III,
600MHz
with 30GB Ultra DMA HD, 5.39GB used, and 22.5GB free currently, and 255MB
SDRAM. TIA for all. Janet

These are all questions that should be asked in a Windows XP newsgroup,
Janet. There are several that might interest you. "Newbies" and "Setup"
are where I suggest you start

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"jaguardmymail@yahoo.com"
<jaguardmymailyahoocom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 2-19-05Been trying to upgrade to xp. Preinstalled CD-RW writer plus
gave up.
> What do you gurus think about skipping CD-RW driver replacement if I
only use
> for b/u's? I bought a Memorex TravelDrive Flash Drive, USB 2.0 to b/u;
it is
> irresistible: fast, long-lasting, compact, easy, and removable! So
that is my
> backup system.
> Should I uninstallation to free up a bay and some harddrive space? I
> upgraded computer memory to 256MB but it has only slightly changed my
browser
> reactivity and can only assume it will worsen when I load it down with
> another os. I've freed up another 16.2MB deleting seldom/ unused
programs and
> files but could purge deeper if necessary with screensavers, themes,
and the
> burner.Would adding more harddrive help with dual boot os?
> Where do I find information regarding IF my computer is able to run
Wxp? Is
> there any hardware tweaks I am able to do to maximize my system?
> Any opinions on "overdrive" processor upgrades, is mine a candidate,
and if
> so, where do I find them? I am running W98,SE on a hp 8665c Pentium
III,
> 600MHz
> with 30GB Ultra DMA HD, 5.39GB used, and 22.5GB free currently, and
255MB
> SDRAM. TIA for all. Janet

The best place to get the best answers to XP issues is in a XP ng.
As for compatibility, your XP disk has a compatibility checker on it.

Eligibility:
Upgrading from Previous Versions of Windows
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/matrix.asp

Never mind the XP Pro mentioning, the requirements for Home and Pro are
basically the same.
System Requirements:
Windows XP Professional System Requirements
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/sysreqs.asp

And to further the process, your hardware/software may not be up to date for
XP. You can check by using the upgrade advisor download indirectly here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/checkcompat.asp

or here directly
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

However I would suggest, if you have a friend with an XP CD you can run the
advisor from it, the download is approx. 32MB.

or check here by typing in the hardware you want to check:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/compat.asp

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"jaguardmymail@yahoo.com" <jaguardmymailyahoocom@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:CF834A4D-5C2E-4B61-806D-E67A8408448F@microsoft.com...
> 2-19-05Been trying to upgrade to xp. Preinstalled CD-RW writer plus gave
> up.
> What do you gurus think about skipping CD-RW driver replacement if I only
> use
> for b/u's? I bought a Memorex TravelDrive Flash Drive, USB 2.0 to b/u; it
> is
> irresistible: fast, long-lasting, compact, easy, and removable! So that is
> my
> backup system.
> Should I uninstallation to free up a bay and some harddrive space? I
> upgraded computer memory to 256MB but it has only slightly changed my
> browser
> reactivity and can only assume it will worsen when I load it down with
> another os. I've freed up another 16.2MB deleting seldom/ unused programs
> and
> files but could purge deeper if necessary with screensavers, themes, and
> the
> burner.Would adding more harddrive help with dual boot os?
> Where do I find information regarding IF my computer is able to run Wxp?
> Is
> there any hardware tweaks I am able to do to maximize my system?
> Any opinions on "overdrive" processor upgrades, is mine a candidate, and
> if
> so, where do I find them? I am running W98,SE on a hp 8665c Pentium III,
> 600MHz
> with 30GB Ultra DMA HD, 5.39GB used, and 22.5GB free currently, and 255MB
> SDRAM. TIA for all. Janet

Hey, you! Go to bed.

I, at least, took a nap from six till nine. These four hour nights
eventually catch up.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> The best place to get the best answers to XP issues is in a XP ng.
> As for compatibility, your XP disk has a compatibility checker on it.

Is that you Mom? I can't see you yet I swear I hear you.

--

> Hey, you! Go to bed.
>
> I, at least, took a nap from six till nine. These four hour nights
> eventually catch up.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>> The best place to get the best answers to XP issues is in a XP ng.
>> As for compatibility, your XP disk has a compatibility checker on it.

;<)

--

> Is that you Mom? I can't see you yet I swear I hear you.
>
> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> > Hey, you! Go to bed.
> >
> > I, at least, took a nap from six till nine. These four hour nights
> > eventually catch up.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> >> The best place to get the best answers to XP issues is in a XP ng.
> >> As for compatibility, your XP disk has a compatibility checker on
it.

TRENDING THREADS