Installing OS

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 19, 2005 10:00:29 PM

Hi all,,,,
I found out I can have XP cheap through college, it is a necessary
evil as college is teaching everything using xp so I need to familiarise
myself with it.

I need to know what sort of problems I might encounter if I choose
to put it on my Ddrive. As most here know, I have C, D ,& E drives;
I will format my D drive, but need to know exactly the procedure I should
follow directly after. I also dont wish to lose anything that is
already on my other two drives.
Is it true that when having two OS's, XP should go on last? (if this is
the case then its fine because I already have 98).
Here are some points I would like clarified too::;
1)What do I need to know about Dual-Booting.
2)Will I need to change any bios settings.
3)What sort of "preparation" should I do just prior to instal.
4)Can I feel safe knowing I will not get any Conflicts.
5)What minimum running process's should I leave during instal.
6)How will my AV be affected.
7)Do the two OS's know that each other are there, or will they both
just act as if they themselves are Primary.

There are probably many more questions I should ask, but at this stage
I am not even sure what those questions should be. I hope some of you
guys have already done this (of which I believe many have) so that with
your help I can do this trouble-free.

Oh, my Ddrive is 10gigabytes.
Some comp details are::
AMD processor 1.33gig
256SDRAM,
40gig HD (partitioned to C D & E.)

Thanks guys,

regards Jane

More about : installing

Anonymous
February 19, 2005 10:00:30 PM

news:o AqahxlFFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 10:49:57 PM

Hi hugh,
I appreciate the links, but I could have found those myself.
I was more interested in the things that Dont get told at those sites.
When I did my first Fdisk, it was a disaster following a sites info.
I was hoping that someone here who has done it could point out
any problems or situations that arose while they themselves did it;;;
sort of like the things they "would or wouldnt have done had they known", if
that makes sense.

Thanks for reply,

regards Jane
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...

February 19, 2005 11:47:01 PM

1. Nothing in particular. You will get a menu to choose the OS to boot.
2. Probably not. If you do, that's going to be a problem, as the W98
installation probably relies on the existing settings. But no changes will
be required unless you specifically need the machine to be different. For
instance, if you aren't using USB in W98 but you want it available for XP,
you may have to enable it in BIOS.
3. Make sure the hardware is capable of running XP, and that you have XP
drivers for all your devices. 256Mb is just sufficient to run XP, but it
won't be speedy.
4. If you know this, you can feel safe (how do you know this?)
5. I don't understand the question. The processes to run during the install
will be determined by the installation software. You won't get a choice.
6. It won't be affected at all when running W98. When running XP it won't be
affected because there won't be any until you install it.
7. Each OS will know the other is there, because they will each have access
to the same hard drives (assuming you keep drive D as FAT32). There is no
such thing as a 'primary' OS - there is only the OS that is currently
running.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
news:o AqahxlFFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Hi all,,,,
> I found out I can have XP cheap through college, it is a necessary
> evil as college is teaching everything using xp so I need to familiarise
> myself with it.
>
> I need to know what sort of problems I might encounter if I choose
> to put it on my Ddrive. As most here know, I have C, D ,& E drives;
> I will format my D drive, but need to know exactly the procedure I should
> follow directly after. I also dont wish to lose anything that is
> already on my other two drives.
> Is it true that when having two OS's, XP should go on last? (if this is
> the case then its fine because I already have 98).
> Here are some points I would like clarified too::;
> 1)What do I need to know about Dual-Booting.
> 2)Will I need to change any bios settings.
> 3)What sort of "preparation" should I do just prior to instal.
> 4)Can I feel safe knowing I will not get any Conflicts.
> 5)What minimum running process's should I leave during instal.
> 6)How will my AV be affected.
> 7)Do the two OS's know that each other are there, or will they both
> just act as if they themselves are Primary.
>
> There are probably many more questions I should ask, but at this stage
> I am not even sure what those questions should be. I hope some of you
> guys have already done this (of which I believe many have) so that with
> your help I can do this trouble-free.
>
> Oh, my Ddrive is 10gigabytes.
> Some comp details are::
> AMD processor 1.33gig
> 256SDRAM,
> 40gig HD (partitioned to C D & E.)
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 12:08:08 AM

> 3. Make sure the hardware is capable of running XP, and that you have XP
> drivers for all your devices. 256Mb is just sufficient to run XP, but it
> won't be speedy.

Not looking for Speedy, just want to get to know the Interface.
What sort of Hardware are you refering to Jeff?
Shouldnt all and any Drivers be on the XP cd? Does the average
mum n' dad have to go searching for Drivers when they probably
dont even know what one is?

> 7. Each OS will know the other is there, because they will each have
access
> to the same hard drives (assuming you keep drive D as FAT32). There is no
> such thing as a 'primary' OS - there is only the OS that is currently
> running.

Isnt it better to have XP with NTFS? Is this really an issue?
I only want XP for familiarisation purposes, I much prefer Win98.
Perhaps 6 months down the track I may put XP on in a fully funtional
manner, but for now I just dont want to be left behind at college
because I have to fumble my way around the OS.

Thanks heaps Jeff, its exactly this sort of interaction that I am looking
for, whether it be positive or negative regarding pro's and cons.

regards Jane

------------------------------
> > 3)What sort of "preparation" should I do just prior to instal.

> > 7)Do the two OS's know that each other are there, or will they both
> > just act as if they themselves are Primary.

> > Oh, my Ddrive is 10gigabytes.
> > Some comp details are::
> > AMD processor 1.33gig
> > 256SDRAM,
> > 40gig HD (partitioned to C D & E.)

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 12:29:38 AM

Jeff,
I just realised I quoted something silly, it was in regard to
NTSF and FAT32.

So, in general, you are saying that it is perfectly fine for me to
put XP on my Win98 machine on a clean separate drive.
(hope so, because that is all I really want to hear.)
Is there any particular way you would do it. IE, after formatting
would you simply plonk the XP disk in and tell it to instal to the
drive you prepared?
Would you do it from Dos, or just go to your Rom and locate the
Setup files then point to where you want it to Setup.?
Is the Installation different to Win98;; like, are there any tips or hints
you would offer that you wished someone had of told you about in
the first instance?

thanks Jeff,

regards Jane

(if you sense Fear, it is only because I cant afford to mess this up if
I go ahead and do it; I'm really in a 'damned if you do, damned if
you dont' situation. Personally I'd rather not do it until I am more
proficient in all areas, but I wont get more proficient until I learn more
at college............ and THEY use xp.)
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 12:59:09 AM

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...

Hi again Hugh,,,
The information contained on the above links would have to be the most
un-informative pages I have ever read, I could learn more from a
donald duck comic.
Not saying this is anything to do with you hugh, I am just stating how
the title(s) of the said pages relay Nothing of use to a person who is
about to do what the pages state in their heading.

This is Exactly the Reason I brought my question(s) to people I trust
in this group, especially people who have been through what I am
contemplating.
Did you read those pages hugh,? especially the second link, of which
is the only one that relates to putting xp on a system that has 98 on it.
It is as if the writer of those pages deliberately held back all relevant
info,
it was pitiful to peruse.
Do you know of any links that can talk a person through the exact
"Procedure"
when doing an instal of xp on a machine running 98?

regards Jane
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 12:59:10 AM

Perhaps you didn't notice that the first link is to an article with four
pages--navigation button is at bottom-right of the article. Hugh's
second link is to Page 4 of the first link. Hugh's suggestions, from
what I can tell, were mostly intended to answer your first question,
"What do I need to know about Dual-Booting?"

But really, it's simple to install a multi-boot system with Windows XP.
Just make sure there's sufficient empty space on your hard drive--say 8
GB. It doesn't even have to have a partition installed to the free
space, but if there is, make sure the partition is disposable--has
nothing you want to keep.

Then put in the XP CD and restart. Then follow directions. The only
thing you have to know besides that (and whether your system can handle
XP in the first place) is that the Win98 OS won't be able to see the
NTFS partition if that's what you use. XP will be able to see
*everything*, but so long as you don't mess with files on the WIN98
system partition while in XP, you're safe.

Yes, there are more complicated ways to multi-boot XP with WIN98,
including ways that hide both sides from each other, and that aren't
interdependent (if you get rid of the Windows 98 side using the standard
methods, since that's the boot partition, you'll need to repair XP
afterwards.) But they are more complicated and require 3rd-party apps
like BootIt NG.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
news:o 2b3VVnFFHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...

> Hi again Hugh,,,
> The information contained on the above links would have to be the most
> un-informative pages I have ever read, I could learn more from a
> donald duck comic.
> Not saying this is anything to do with you hugh, I am just stating how
> the title(s) of the said pages relay Nothing of use to a person who is
> about to do what the pages state in their heading.
>
> This is Exactly the Reason I brought my question(s) to people I trust
> in this group, especially people who have been through what I am
> contemplating.
> Did you read those pages hugh,? especially the second link, of which
> is the only one that relates to putting xp on a system that has 98 on
it.
> It is as if the writer of those pages deliberately held back all
relevant
> info,
> it was pitiful to peruse.
> Do you know of any links that can talk a person through the exact
> "Procedure"
> when doing an instal of xp on a machine running 98?
>
> regards Jane

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 2:06:05 AM

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
news:o 2b3VVnFFHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmor...
> >

> Hi again Hugh,,,
> The information contained on the above links would have to be the most
> un-informative pages I have ever read, I could learn more from a
> donald duck comic.

I couldn't disagree more.

> Not saying this is anything to do with you hugh, I am just stating how
> the title(s) of the said pages relay Nothing of use to a person who is
> about to do what the pages state in their heading.

Why in the name of the Lord Harry Muck
are you focussed on the titles?

> This is Exactly the Reason I brought my question(s) to people I trust
> in this group, especially people who have been through what I am
> contemplating.
> Did you read those pages hugh,?

Yes.

> especially the second link, of which
> is the only one that relates to putting xp on a system that has 98 on it.

No, it isn't. You need to undeestand something.
This is hypertextual information. I gave you too links.
That doesn't mean that everything is on those 2 pages.
They are startibg points.

> It is as if the writer of those pages deliberately held back all relevant
> info,

Then you didn't take the time to look carefully enough.

> it was pitiful to peruse.

I thought they were excellent INTRODUCTORY pages
pointing to excellent DETAILED INSTRUCTION pages,
otherwise I would not have bothered to point you to them.

> Do you know of any links that can talk a person through the exact
> "Procedure"
> when doing an instal of xp on a machine running 98?
>
> regards Jane

Yes. The very first link on the "Related Links" sidebar

It is called "Knowledge Base: How to Multiboot with Windows XP"
and points to

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q306/5...

which covers

Disk Volumes and Disk Format
Reformatting and Repairing Hard Disk
Supported File Systems
Precautions

To Create a Multiple-Boot System with Windows XP and MS-DOS,
Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me
To Create a Multiple-Boot System with Windows NT 4.0 and Windows XP
Installing Programs on More Than One Operating System
Specifying the Default Operating System for Startup
Troubleshooting
Glossary

Quack, quack.......
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:52:32 AM

>> 3. Make sure the hardware is capable of running XP, and that you have XP
>> drivers for all your devices. 256Mb is just sufficient to run XP, but it
>> won't be speedy.
>
> Not looking for Speedy, just want to get to know the Interface.
> What sort of Hardware are you refering to Jeff?
> Shouldnt all and any Drivers be on the XP cd? Does the average
> mum n' dad have to go searching for Drivers when they probably
> dont even know what one is?
You can't assume that drivers for all devices will be on the XP installation
CD. MS includes what they can, but it's not everything, and it might not be
the latest version. One useful option is to uninstall and remove
non-critical hardware addons, and add them back after the instal. One way to
confirm your hardware is compatible is to find the XP drivers for it - even
if you don't need them.

>> 7. Each OS will know the other is there, because they will each have
> access
>> to the same hard drives (assuming you keep drive D as FAT32). There is no
>> such thing as a 'primary' OS - there is only the OS that is currently
>> running.
>
> Isnt it better to have XP with NTFS? Is this really an issue?
> I only want XP for familiarisation purposes, I much prefer Win98.
> Perhaps 6 months down the track I may put XP on in a fully funtional
> manner, but for now I just dont want to be left behind at college
> because I have to fumble my way around the OS.
NTFS will be best for XP, and some features you might cover at College (such
as quotas) will require it. But W98 will not be able to access a NTFS
partition, so your two systems will be 'different' in that respect. It
depends on the relative value of having a full-featured XP system vs one
that is more compatible with W98. As this is a learning exercise, I would go
with NTFS, despite the fact that turning it back into FAT32 when you
uninstall is slightly more complex.

> Thanks heaps Jeff, its exactly this sort of interaction that I am looking
> for, whether it be positive or negative regarding pro's and cons.
>
> regards Jane
>
> ------------------------------
>> > 3)What sort of "preparation" should I do just prior to instal.
>
>> > 7)Do the two OS's know that each other are there, or will they both
>> > just act as if they themselves are Primary.
>
>> > Oh, my Ddrive is 10gigabytes.
>> > Some comp details are::
>> > AMD processor 1.33gig
>> > 256SDRAM,
>> > 40gig HD (partitioned to C D & E.)

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 12:01:53 PM

The arrangement you are planning is a standard procedure for XP installation
and is fully supported in the XP installation options. For details of the
exact procedure you are best to ask in an X group (lurk in several, as gen
discussion is very crowded and there might be a better one) and is covered
in the on-line documentation, such as
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306559
How To Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/xpupgrad.htm
Upgrading to WINDOWS XP

Note the reference to the README.HTM file on your Windows XP CD-ROM and how
to access it - it will answer a lot of questions.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
> Jeff,
> I just realised I quoted something silly, it was in regard to
> NTSF and FAT32.
>
> So, in general, you are saying that it is perfectly fine for me to
> put XP on my Win98 machine on a clean separate drive.
> (hope so, because that is all I really want to hear.)
> Is there any particular way you would do it. IE, after formatting
> would you simply plonk the XP disk in and tell it to instal to the
> drive you prepared?
> Would you do it from Dos, or just go to your Rom and locate the
> Setup files then point to where you want it to Setup.?
> Is the Installation different to Win98;; like, are there any tips or hints
> you would offer that you wished someone had of told you about in
> the first instance?
>
> thanks Jeff,
>
> regards Jane
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 11:00:28 AM

> >> 3. Make sure the hardware is capable of running XP, and that you have
XP
> >> drivers for all your devices. 256Mb is just sufficient to run XP, but
it
> >> won't be speedy.

Hi Jeff,
From what I have mentioned regarding my hardware, I get the
feeling that it will be okay to put xp on.
Now, just what drivers do I need?
Are we talking about Windows Drivers?
I used a Driver Extract Tool the other day and copied all non-windows
drivers to a folder on my Edrive. There werent many of
them and they consist of :::
1)NVIDIA GeForce2 MX-MX-400
2)TapeDetection (not even sure what that is)
3)V.90 External Fax Voice Modem
4)VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM)

Not sure if I will bother putting the internet via XP at this stage.
No drivers came up for my Anti-Virus, but again, if I'm not on the
net then it wont matter.

off to college........

regards Jane
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 6:47:28 PM

The drivers we are talking about are drivers for your hardware devices.
There might be separate issues about applications (such as your AV software)
that are not compatible with XP, but you'll find that out when you come to
install them. Drivers are important because if they aren't available the
hardware won't work and that might stop the system running.

There's no point in extracting any existing drivers as XP can't use W98
drivers.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Windows' drivers, but obviously proper
drivers for your nVidia video card are critical - XP will have a suitable
default, but you'll want to upgrade. I expect you have a CD with the XP
drivers for that card. The modem and the audio controller obviously aren't
significant, although XP will try to find drivers for the audio. They are
probably on your system CD. You could unplug the modem for the
installation, and plug it in after you've finished.
--
Jeff Richards
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

!