Lack of privacy because searches are all shown alphbetical..

All my searches on Yahoo or Google are saved and come up on the screen
alphbetically like a drop down menu when I one individual key on the keyboard.

I want it to stop remembering everything and I want to erase what it has
remembered since I started using my computer over 5 years ago. It seems to
overwrite some of it over time, but it remembers all searches for months or
years.

Thanks. Warren
7 answers Last reply
More about lack privacy searches shown alphbetical

    Internet Settings => Content tab => Autocomplete button.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Ref rate: Adapter Default...OK?"
    <RefrateAdapterDefaultOK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > All my searches on Yahoo or Google are saved and come up on the screen
    > alphbetically like a drop down menu when I one individual key on the
    keyboard.

    > I want it to stop remembering everything and I want to erase what it
    has
    > remembered since I started using my computer over 5 years ago. It
    seems to
    > overwrite some of it over time, but it remembers all searches for
    months or
    > years.
    >
    > Thanks. Warren

    Regarding "AutoComplete", if I clear the AutoComplete "forms" and
    "passwords" history and uncheck everything on the AutoComplete tab, will I
    lose any functions other than AutoComplete. For example, will I lose any of
    my customizations on IE, my stored passwords on Windows, IE, Yahoo, etc? At
    this point, I would like to completely eliminate the AutoComplete function,
    but don't want to lose a lot of customized URL pages that are important to
    me.

    "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
    > Regarding "AutoComplete", if I clear the AutoComplete "forms" and
    > "passwords" history and uncheck everything on the AutoComplete tab,
    will I
    > lose any functions other than AutoComplete. For example, will I lose
    any of
    > my customizations on IE, my stored passwords on Windows, IE, Yahoo,
    etc? At
    > this point, I would like to completely eliminate the AutoComplete
    function,
    > but don't want to lose a lot of customized URL pages that are
    important to
    > me.

    I'm not sure what you're speaking of when you say "stored passwords in
    Windows, IE, Yahoo!, etc.?" because that covers a lot of territory. Some
    of those are PWL or similar functions within Windows, some are
    Autocomplete functions, and some are Cookie functions.

    If you go to a site and there's a logon function, and your username
    appears when you type the first letter and if, when your username is
    complete, the password is automatically entered for that username,
    that's Autocomplete at work. When you go to a website and you are
    *automatically* logged in, and/or your saved preferences for that pages
    are automatically implemented, that's a cookie at work.

    Much of what's what depends on how the form is written (the code), since
    form input boxes have "Name" parameters and that's the category
    Autocomplete uses to match stored data. It's behavior changes depending
    on a few different variables. You can also, in case you didn't know,
    delete individual items from the lists that are associated with a
    particular field, by just highlighting the item (don't click) and then
    pressing the Delete key. (Doesn't work for web addresses in the Address
    bar.)

    There is also a "stored passwords" function in Windows, in the PWL file
    (in Win9x) which are your Dial-up, Outlook Express and Windows Logon
    passwords (and a few others.) They are not part of the Autocomplete
    function.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    Thanks Gary and glee.

    I now understand the extent of the AutoComplete function. A bit more
    digging on my part could have probably saved you the trouble of answering.
    I appreciate your patience.

    > "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
    > > Regarding "AutoComplete", if I clear the AutoComplete "forms" and
    > > "passwords" history and uncheck everything on the AutoComplete tab,
    > will I
    > > lose any functions other than AutoComplete. For example, will I lose
    > any of
    > > my customizations on IE, my stored passwords on Windows, IE, Yahoo,
    > etc? At
    > > this point, I would like to completely eliminate the AutoComplete
    > function,
    > > but don't want to lose a lot of customized URL pages that are
    > important to
    > > me.
    >
    > I'm not sure what you're speaking of when you say "stored passwords in
    > Windows, IE, Yahoo!, etc.?" because that covers a lot of territory. Some
    > of those are PWL or similar functions within Windows, some are
    > Autocomplete functions, and some are Cookie functions.
    >
    > If you go to a site and there's a logon function, and your username
    > appears when you type the first letter and if, when your username is
    > complete, the password is automatically entered for that username,
    > that's Autocomplete at work. When you go to a website and you are
    > *automatically* logged in, and/or your saved preferences for that pages
    > are automatically implemented, that's a cookie at work.
    >
    > Much of what's what depends on how the form is written (the code), since
    > form input boxes have "Name" parameters and that's the category
    > Autocomplete uses to match stored data. It's behavior changes depending
    > on a few different variables. You can also, in case you didn't know,
    > delete individual items from the lists that are associated with a
    > particular field, by just highlighting the item (don't click) and then
    > pressing the Delete key. (Doesn't work for web addresses in the Address
    > bar.)
    >
    > There is also a "stored passwords" function in Windows, in the PWL file
    > (in Win9x) which are your Dial-up, Outlook Express and Windows Logon
    > passwords (and a few others.) They are not part of the Autocomplete
    > function.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User

    On the AutoComplete property page at IE Tools menu> Internet Options> Content tab>
    AutoComplete button, click the little question mark in the upper right corner, then
    click it on each check box or button, to read details of what each is used for.

    If you click the Clear Passwords button, you will have to enter any user names and
    passwords at web sites that currently remember them. The check boxes enable or
    disable the described behaviour from that point on, but if the Clear Passwords or
    Clear Forms button is pressed, then all previously remembered info will be purged.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "bobster" <fauxie@bogus.net> wrote in message
    > Regarding "AutoComplete", if I clear the AutoComplete "forms" and
    > "passwords" history and uncheck everything on the AutoComplete tab, will I
    > lose any functions other than AutoComplete. For example, will I lose any of
    > my customizations on IE, my stored passwords on Windows, IE, Yahoo, etc? At
    > this point, I would like to completely eliminate the AutoComplete function,
    > but don't want to lose a lot of customized URL pages that are important to
    > me.

    > > Internet Settings => Content tab => Autocomplete button.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Gary S. Terhune
    > > MS MVP Shell/User
    > >
    > > "Ref rate: Adapter Default...OK?"
    > > <RefrateAdapterDefaultOK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > All my searches on Yahoo or Google are saved and come up on the screen
    > > > alphbetically like a drop down menu when I one individual key on the
    > > keyboard.
    > > >
    > > > I want it to stop remembering everything and I want to erase what it
    > > has
    > > > remembered since I started using my computer over 5 years ago. It
    > > seems to
    > > > overwrite some of it over time, but it remembers all searches for
    > > months or
    > > > years.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks. Warren

    My original question is unanswered...how do I prevent my computer from saving
    and posting every search I do on the internet?
    Thanks,
    Warren

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > Internet Settings => Content tab => Autocomplete button.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Ref rate: Adapter Default...OK?"
    > <RefrateAdapterDefaultOK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > All my searches on Yahoo or Google are saved and come up on the screen
    > > alphbetically like a drop down menu when I one individual key on the
    > keyboard.
    > >
    > > I want it to stop remembering everything and I want to erase what it
    > has
    > > remembered since I started using my computer over 5 years ago. It
    > seems to
    > > overwrite some of it over time, but it remembers all searches for
    > months or
    > > years.
    > >
    > > Thanks. Warren

    Wait...wait! I think it worked...I followed (1)internet settings,
    (2)content, and (3) autocomplete. It erased all previous searches. Thanks
    much.
    Warren

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > Internet Settings => Content tab => Autocomplete button.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Ref rate: Adapter Default...OK?"
    > <RefrateAdapterDefaultOK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > All my searches on Yahoo or Google are saved and come up on the screen
    > > alphbetically like a drop down menu when I one individual key on the
    > keyboard.
    > >
    > > I want it to stop remembering everything and I want to erase what it
    > has
    > > remembered since I started using my computer over 5 years ago. It
    > seems to
    > > overwrite some of it over time, but it remembers all searches for
    > months or
    > > years.
    > >
    > > Thanks. Warren

Privacy Windows