Which new processor?

It looks like intel is coming out with some new processors. We all know
about the Hyper Threading, but now they got this dual core jazz. Intel
site says that dual core technology is great for "multi-threading"
applications. Is MSFS a "multi-threading" game? Does dual core really
offer any significant performance increase for MSFS? How about other games?
Some processors have HT, some Dual Core, and one has both. Which is better?

These are the choices for XPS machines on Dell's site.
Pentium® 4 Processor 640 with HT Technology (3.20GHz, 800 FSB)

Pentium® 4 Processor 650 with HT Technology (3.40GHz, 800 FSB)
[add $128 or $4/month3]

Pentium® 4 Processor 660 with HT Technology (3.60GHz, 800 FSB)
[add $315 or $9/month3]

Pentium® 4 Processor 670 with HT Technology (3.80GHz, 800 FSB)
[add $623 or $18/month3]

Pentium® D Processor 830 with Dual Core Technology (3GHz,
800FSB) [add $38 or $1/month3]

Pentium® D Processor 840 with Dual Core Technology (3.20GHz,
800FSB) [add $353 or $10/month3]

Pentium® Extreme Edition Dual Core w/ HT Tech (3.20GHz, 800FSB)
[add $848 or $25/month3

begin 666 spacer.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end

MSFS is not multithreaded. But if you want to run other apps while simming
then you could see better performance with dual core or hyperthreading or
both. Hopefully future versions will be hyperthreaded and take advantage of
64 bit processors.
My best advice - don't get a Dell. Do some research on parts, look at
hardware reviews on websites, check out what people are using on the
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking newsgroups, look at what new stuff will be
coming down the road and take the near future into consideration and choose
your parts, buy the parts from Newegg, put them together yourself and save
yourself anywhere from $1000 to $2000 versus what you could get from a place
like Dell, Alienware, Hypersonic or other boutique builders. If you don't
have the confidence to build it yourself then order the parts and get a
friend to put them together for you. I've built systems for friends and
have saved them hundreds of dollars and given them a better system than they
could get elsewhere.

>MSFS is not multithreaded. But if you want to run other apps while simming
>then you could see better performance with dual core or hyperthreading or
>both. Hopefully future versions will be hyperthreaded and take advantage of
>64 bit processors.
>My best advice - don't get a Dell. Do some research on parts, look at
>hardware reviews on websites, check out what people are using on the
>alt.comp.hardware.overclocking newsgroups, look at what new stuff will be
>coming down the road and take the near future into consideration and choose
>your parts, buy the parts from Newegg, put them together yourself and save
>yourself anywhere from $1000 to $2000 versus what you could get from a place
>like Dell, Alienware, Hypersonic or other boutique builders. If you don't
>have the confidence to build it yourself then order the parts and get a
>friend to put them together for you. I've built systems for friends and
>have saved them hundreds of dollars and given them a better system than they
>could get elsewhere.

FS 9 is multi-threaded, it just does not have specific support for
multiple processors...

===
Best Regards
Katy

Really? I've heard from several reliable sources that it wasn't. That's
good news for people with hyperthreading. I wonder how much of a
performance boost you get (and if it is noticable or just a little better)

> Really? I've heard from several reliable sources that it wasn't. That's
> good news for people with hyperthreading. I wonder how much of a
> performance boost you get (and if it is noticable or just a little better)

no, the game is multi threaded however the threads has to run on the same
logical/physical cores

most games are many different threads, but are designed with single
proccessors in mind, and will need tweaking before they can run on SMP rigs

--
From Adam Webb, Overlag
www.tacticalgamer.com
"Dakota650r" <nospam@gmail.com> wrote in message

So even though it is multithreaded, having multiple cores or a single
core with hyperthreading enabled wouldn't help? Dang. I sure hope the
next version will take advantage of dual cores / hyperthreading to the
max extent possible. Right now I have a Athlon 64 3200+ Venice that i
just got and I'm still burning it in and gradually increasing the
speed. I'm up to 2.4 (10 x 240), with no voltage increase, idle temps
30c, load at 39c (my TCCD memory is 1:1, 1T command rate, timings
2.5-3-3-10) and prime95 and memtest stable for hours. Most people are
getting 2.8 to 2.9 out of the venice core on air depending on stepping
and I got a good week. Anyway, by the time FS 2006 comes out and if it
does take full advantage of dual cores, I'd think about getting an
Athlon 64 X2, which will probably have come down in price by then.
Since they are Socket 939, I'm ready with just a bios update. And if
it is native 64 bit then I'll go ahead and update to Windows 64bit.
Until then, I'll stick with XP 32 bit.
You have mentioned in other posts that you have an X2? How does it do
with MSFS?

Hi,

For now you have more power for your money with and AMD CPU,
witch is must better and more powerfull for gamer.

I start my fourth computer (all intel) was a dual CPU ready with only one
P3 1 gig CPU and 1 gig of ram,
then upgrade to 2 CPU when the price of the CPU haved drop.

When installing they second CPU a add a boost of 60% in frame rate,
because the windows XP Pro use one CPU just for the MSFS that run at 99% and
use the second CPU
that run a 60% for all my others program running in the back ground like
window XP Pro, Mcafee, Zone-alarm Pro,
Spyware-doctor, Roger-wilco, Alert-Pro for MSFS, FS Realibility Factor for
MSFS, VATSIM program that i know.

Usually adding a CPU or a core rise the performance around 40% to 60% for a
Single threat-program like
the MSFS, and around 90 to 95% for a multithread program.

MSFS will rock when and if it become multi-thread.

I am personnely waiting to buy my fifth computer with and AMD Crossfire
motherboard version similar the
Tyan S2895 motheboard witch is SLI, i will start with one a two single core
CPU and end-up with 2 dual cpu
dual-core (thats 4 cores cpu).

PC

I2FAe.11818$xB6.3937@trnddc03...