Pocketpc wireless home connection with PC involvement

a b F Wireless
October 22, 2004 11:20:49 PM

Don't know whether this is possible:
Can I buy wireless 802.11 networking equipment, the router, and plug my home
DSL connection into it and get it to work without any PC involvement?

All I'm interested in is getting a wifi signal that can be picked up by an
wifi-enabled IPAQ. I don't want to wifi enable my PC.

So, is this simple? Can I (1) buy wifi equipment (2) plug in DSL line (3)
begin receiving signal on wifi-enabled PDA? Or is it more complicated than
that?

(Please excuse x-post; have similar query on
microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless)
October 22, 2004 11:20:50 PM

It is that simple UNLESS you need to setup your wireless encryption or other
security using specific MAC addresses for example. I'll try to see if I can
control router with PPC.

"smoke11" <pthib@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Don't know whether this is possible:
> Can I buy wireless 802.11 networking equipment, the router, and plug my
> home
> DSL connection into it and get it to work without any PC involvement?
>
> All I'm interested in is getting a wifi signal that can be picked up by an
> wifi-enabled IPAQ. I don't want to wifi enable my PC.
>
> So, is this simple? Can I (1) buy wifi equipment (2) plug in DSL line (3)
> begin receiving signal on wifi-enabled PDA? Or is it more complicated than
> that?
>
> (Please excuse x-post; have similar query on
> microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless)

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 22, 2004 11:20:50 PM

Sure you can do that. I my case I use a Buffalo Technology WBR-G54 4-Port Broadband Router/802.11b/g
Wireless Access Point to share my cable broadband ISP between two Windows XP desktops (one XP Pro
and one XP Home) and an iPAQ 5555 PocketPC. The desktops are hardwired to the router using a 100
Mbps Ethernet LAN while my iPAQ 5555 is connected using an 802.11b WiFi link... Here is my current
home LAN...You may, or may not, find it interesting...

http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/LAN/The_Illustrated_Netwo...

For reviews of hardware, how-tos, tips, etc. visit these sites...

http://www.homenethelp.com/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://www.timhiggins.com/

Good luck...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"smoke11" <pthib@verizon.net> wrote in message news:l4ded.100$dW.60@trnddc08...
> Don't know whether this is possible:
> Can I buy wireless 802.11 networking equipment, the router, and plug my home
> DSL connection into it and get it to work without any PC involvement?
>
> All I'm interested in is getting a wifi signal that can be picked up by an
> wifi-enabled IPAQ. I don't want to wifi enable my PC.
>
> So, is this simple? Can I (1) buy wifi equipment (2) plug in DSL line (3)
> begin receiving signal on wifi-enabled PDA? Or is it more complicated than
> that?
>
> (Please excuse x-post; have similar query on
> microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless)

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 22, 2004 11:20:50 PM

smoke11:

I have a Linksys wireless router. With all my PC's turned off, I can access the
internet just fine with my h4155 iPaq. I just checked, and using Internet Explorer
on the PDA, I can log into my router's setup page and change the configuration
as needed. Therefore, you don't need a PC.

Scott

smoke11 wrote:

> Don't know whether this is possible:
> Can I buy wireless 802.11 networking equipment, the router, and plug my home
> DSL connection into it and get it to work without any PC involvement?
>
> All I'm interested in is getting a wifi signal that can be picked up by an
> wifi-enabled IPAQ. I don't want to wifi enable my PC.
>
> So, is this simple? Can I (1) buy wifi equipment (2) plug in DSL line (3)
> begin receiving signal on wifi-enabled PDA? Or is it more complicated than
> that?
>
> (Please excuse x-post; have similar query on
> microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 22, 2004 11:20:50 PM

>> dsl <<

Note, assuming that your dsl connection uses pppoe, you will need a
router that supports a router pppoe logon as there are no pppoe clients
for pocketpc's

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
October 22, 2004 11:20:51 PM

By the way, you will need a desktop PC connected via a wired LAN segment in order to upgrade
firmware on any router you intend to purchase... Most, if not all manufacturers specifically
discourage firmware updates via a wireless segment. Besides, the firmware installers would not run
on a PocketPC anyway...

--

!