Power surge trouble...need some help

scratchnasty

Distinguished
May 8, 2005
Last night while playing WoW there was a nasty power surge on the top floor of my apartment. It's happened before but there was never a problem, however that's not the case this time. Immediately after the surge my computer rebooted but I wasn't receiving any video. I tried rebooting one more time but still no luck so I took the side of the case off to see if there was a problem. Here's what I've found so far:

Video card does not appear to be the issue (tried another which definitely works and still no video)
Everything powers on, no POST error beeps or anything to that effect but no video.

I have a ABIT AS8 3rd Eye mobo that has the 3rd eye uGuru utility which monitors board performance. Here are the results:

One meter shows CPU frequency at 3060Mhz (I have a P4 LGA775 @3Ghz so that is accurate)
Voltage to CPU @ 1.38
CPU Temp @ 45C

Another meter shows this information however:
CPU frequency @ 204Mhz

Other readings include:
GPU @ 1.58v
DDR @ 2.65v
AGP @ 66Mhz

I don't know anything about voltage, so do these numbers seem "normal"? Is it possible to discern some type of issue from those numbers? Here is my full system config for reference:

Intel LGA775 @ 3.0Ghz (800Mhz FSB Prescott chip)
eVGA GeForce 6800GS CO Edition (DDR3 256MB AGP 8x)
Dual channel Mushkin Green Line PC3200 DDR RAM
Dual 80GB WD Caviar drives in RAID0 array (SATA drives)
On board audio but not using it (have a PCI Turtle Beach sound card)
OB LAN (using)
LITE-ON DVD/CD burner
LITE-ON CD burner DVD player

I tried different monitors and different monitor cables to eliminate that possibility as well. As you can imagine ANY help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
try plugging computer and monitor directly into the wall or use another surge suppressor if you have one. also i had a similar problem while testing a video card and i had to use a pci video card card to boot and remove the video driver then reinstall the agp card. still not sure what happened or why that fixed the problem