reply to Symantec post earlier

Hi all,
havent seen much input regarding the symantec drama of late.
Not sure if it is my server or if the topic just peter'ed out.
Anyway, if anyone is interested, my Norton Virus Update
pop-up has been happening on a nearly " 3 times per 24 hours "
in the last week....... I am actually doing another as I type.
Is this something to do with their security "lack" , and they are
frantically trying to overcome it?

Yes, I know it is sad that I utilize Norton, but as I said before in
another post,,,,,,, I have already paid for it so I may as well
see it through. Then again, I dont have a single virus on my
comp, so either there are no virii out there or something is doing
its job.

Anyway, the gist here is my noticing that I have had Updates coming
out of the waaazooo, are these some sort of counter-measure against
whatever infiltration Norton has suffered in the last fortnight?

regards Jane

There has been a spate of new viruses over the last week or two, Jane.
More than that, I can't tell you--except that I consider your logic re
Symantec illogical. Regardless of how much money you spent on it, why
run an app that buggers your system? Especially when another $20 will
get you EZ Armor for the first year ($30 to renew.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

jane wrote:
> Hi all,
> havent seen much input regarding the symantec drama of late.
> Not sure if it is my server or if the topic just peter'ed out.
> Anyway, if anyone is interested, my Norton Virus Update
> pop-up has been happening on a nearly " 3 times per 24 hours "
> in the last week....... I am actually doing another as I type.
> Is this something to do with their security "lack" , and they are
> frantically trying to overcome it?

My Avast! updated its defs twice in four hours one evening last week. I
just think there are a few new bogeymen out at the moment.

--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.judgemental.plus.com

<reply-to will bounce>

hi jane
I had Norton AV 2003. Kept on using it since I "paid for it". But something went wrong in the updates about 3 months
ago. The Symantec Redirector upgrade would not finish installing. I had to reboot to get out of the lockup.Since then I
could no longer connect to receive further updates. I removed Norton & then reinstalled it. Still unable to connect to
get any upgrades or virus definitions. Neverless Norton popped up dialogs about getting updates which I was unable to
connect to get.

Finally I removed Norton again and installed AVG Anti-virus. Removing all of Norton was tricky. The regualr uninstall
from add-remove programs was successful. However it left the malfunctioning Symantec redirector and some other symantec
programs on my system. I deleted these files and rebooted. Got an error that a VxD program expected a DLL. I went in the
registry, founf the VxD reference, and deleted it and deleted the VxD file. Rebooted and got a message that the VxD
could not be found. Went in the registry and deleted the reference to it. Reboot finally was rid of all Norton-Symantec.

Perhaps you need to reinstall Norton afresh after completely removing it as I described.

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message news:uMHDgpqFFHA.1260@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Hi all,
> havent seen much input regarding the symantec drama of late.
> Not sure if it is my server or if the topic just peter'ed out.
> Anyway, if anyone is interested, my Norton Virus Update
> pop-up has been happening on a nearly " 3 times per 24 hours "
> in the last week....... I am actually doing another as I type.
> Is this something to do with their security "lack" , and they are
> frantically trying to overcome it?
>
> Yes, I know it is sad that I utilize Norton, but as I said before in
> another post,,,,,,, I have already paid for it so I may as well
> see it through. Then again, I dont have a single virus on my
> comp, so either there are no virii out there or something is doing
> its job.
>
> Anyway, the gist here is my noticing that I have had Updates coming
> out of the waaazooo, are these some sort of counter-measure against
> whatever infiltration Norton has suffered in the last fortnight?
>
> regards Jane

why
run an app that buggers your system? Especially when another $20 will
get you EZ Armor for the first year ($30 to renew.)

Hi gary,
Thats simple to answer, it hasnt buggered my system at all, its
running just fine regarding virus's & etc.
So in this case, why should I ask ian to reach into his back-pocket
to fix something that isnt broke.

regards Jane

"its running just fine regarding virus's & etc."

Yes, but is it running "just fine" otherwise? Norton's problem isn't
that it doesn't do it's job (most of the time, at least, it does do
that.) And even if it is, I'll say it now, just to get it over with:
"Told ya so!"

You've got a half-ton boxing kangaroo riding around on top of that cute
car of yours, when a well-trained wallaby with a fly swatter and a
sniper rifle can do just as efficient a job dealing with the mosquitoes
and snakes that plague you, not to mention the occasional croc, <s>.