Win 98 CD ROM not recognized

Senator

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005

For reasons which I will not get into, the CD ROM driver became corrupted. In
an attempt to have Windows reload the correct driver, I removed the existing
driver from the Device Manager. When I re-booted the machine, there was no CD
ROM listed and the drive was still not recognized. I feel there is some way
of re-installing the driver, but have reached the limits of my capabilities.
Unfortunately, I can't even reload the OS...... because the CD ROM drive is
not recognized. Talk about a "catch 22". Any advise would be appreciated.

"Senator" <Senator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> For reasons which I will not get into, the CD ROM driver became corrupted.
In
> an attempt to have Windows reload the correct driver, I removed the
existing
> driver from the Device Manager. When I re-booted the machine, there was no
CD
> ROM listed and the drive was still not recognized. I feel there is some
way
> of re-installing the driver, but have reached the limits of my
capabilities.

1. Are you sure your OS is Win98? Win98 does not
require any driver for CD-ROM drives.
2. DOS drivers for (standard) CD-ROM drives are part
of the standard boot disks you can download from
www.bootdisk.com

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Senator

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2005

Thanks for your message Don. Yes, it is Win 98 and I have a new development.
It appears my strategy was at least helpful. Although I re-booted several
times after removing the DM CD ROM entries without success, when I put in a
music CD it recognized it, but with difficulty. When I went back in to look
at DM, bingo! there was the CD ROM drive. It now appears to work! I hope. But
thanks again for your message.

"Don Phillipson" wrote:

> "Senator" <Senator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > For reasons which I will not get into, the CD ROM driver became corrupted.
> In
> > an attempt to have Windows reload the correct driver, I removed the
> existing
> > driver from the Device Manager. When I re-booted the machine, there was no
> CD
> > ROM listed and the drive was still not recognized. I feel there is some
> way
> > of re-installing the driver, but have reached the limits of my
> capabilities.
>
> 1. Are you sure your OS is Win98? Win98 does not
> require any driver for CD-ROM drives.
> 2. DOS drivers for (standard) CD-ROM drives are part
> of the standard boot disks you can download from
> www.bootdisk.com
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

Go into Safe Mode. Open Device Manager. Remove ALL drives, ALL
controllers (except FIFOs, which can't be removed,) and the System
device called PCI Bus. Then restart and let Windows reinstall the
drivers in proper order. May require a reboot before all installs
finish.

While you're in Safe Mode Device Manager, look for entries for devices
which are no longer part of your system (old monitors, old printers,
modems, etc.) Remove them. Also look for entries that are duplicated.
Some duplications in the System and USB sections are normal, but make a
list of all duplicated items (and how many there are of each) and post
back here for advice.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User