COMPUTER WON'T LOAD UP

legoflamb

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Ok so my computer is this:

amd 64 3700
asus a8n-e
windows xp sp2

I was using it fine a few minute ago then while i was using winamp i accidently hit the shortcut key to log me off windows - when i tried to go back in by clicking my name it thought about it for a few seconds then gave me a blue screen maybe 3 or 4 lines of writing with a number at the start.

The thing is it disappears really quickly so I can't tell what it's saying.

I went to the boot menu thing and tried safe-mode and starting windows with last good config but nothing is working. It still gives me the writing and blue screen no matter what I do.

I've unplugged it as well to give it a cold boot but nothing is happening.

Does anyone know what the blue screen might be saying to me or anyway to fix this?

Is it software or something much worse?

Thanks in advance

EntityAnomly

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Well you really need to know what your error message says. I would try really hard to figure out what it says.

It looks like you probably have another PC available to you. So you could try going to http://www.nu2.nu and look for a utility called PEbuilder. It will allow you to create a bootable XP cd that will boot your computer so that you can get at the hard drive files and (with the right utility) the system registry. All you will need to make the bootable CD is a Windows XP CD, PEBuilder, and a CD burner.

If you can get at your hard drive we might be able to find a log file with the crash information on it.

You could as another option boot using your Windows XP cd and run the recovery console to get at your hard drive as well.

Just some ideas. Let me know if you have any questions or any other information.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Bad harware, usually RAM or you OS has a corrupted .dll file,
Not a goood sign, you might want to reload your bios, by simpley taking out the battery located at the bottom of your mobo, for about 20 sec, then place it back in and try to restart again.

EntityAnomly

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
Umm....even if he would have bad RAM or a corrupted .dll what does the BIOS battery have to do with any of that? Not saying you're wrong, but I don't see why.

Considering the system dumped when he accidently did a logoff when software was running would lead me to believe that Windows just confused itself.

MCGTech

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
Umm....even if he would have bad RAM or a corrupted .dll what does the BIOS battery have to do with any of that? Not saying you're wrong, but I don't see why.

Considering the system dumped when he accidently did a logoff when software was running would lead me to believe that Windows just confused itself.

A logoff is in essence is an orderly shutdown of windows. I seriously doubt this actually caused a problem and is just a coincidence. Unless he paniced or something and hit reset while it was closing down. I'd look for a hardware failure. Remove / disconnect all but necessary to see the system boot including sound card, modem, cd, secondary HD, floppy, etc. Turn off any unused integrated devices in bios, etc.

Do try booting from the XP cd, go into command console and try to find the log as EntityAnomly suggests.

Waitaminit.. logoff is a two step process. You have to choose logoff or switch user. You mentioned hitting a logoff "shortcut". Are you using some direct logoff method? Tell us how it went down if not through the start menu.

Was that logoff for Windows or Winamp?