'read' light of cd burner

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 19, 2005 8:41:10 PM

The 'yellow read light of my cd burner keeps on flashing even if there is no
cd in it. Is it normal if not what is the solution? thanks

More about : read light burner

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 1:12:52 AM

"noname" <noname@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9151C74F-BF06-4601-893F-4465A8BAF93D@microsoft.com...
> The 'yellow read light of my cd burner keeps on flashing even if there is no
> cd in it. Is it normal if not what is the solution? thanks

Some CD players will flash the light whenever Windows polls the device
for a CD. My old player flashes about every half a second. My CDRW doesn't.
February 21, 2005 11:13:01 AM

2nd question just for my knowledge what do u mean by ' Windows polls the device
for a CD.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 12:19:45 PM

> 2nd question just for my knowledge what do u mean by ' Windows polls the
device
> for a CD.

Every few seconds, Windows will check to see if you
just inserted a CD into the drive, and will look for
an autorun file, and fire it up if it finds one on the CD.

That's one reason why your hard drive and CDROM drive
lights will continually flash. Some people like to disable
the polling in order to do everything possible to prolong
the life of the hard drive and the CDROM drive.
!