Java Runtime d/l hiding

I tried to d/l the Java Runtime Environment program to W98/ IE6.
According to the Java d/l site, the Verify signal (animated steaming cup of
coffee) indicated a successful d/l. During the installation, *no* cues nor
clues appeared to indicate where the program would be installed.
When I tried to "Find" the program, I tried: "C: \Program
Files\Java\xxxx.1.[45].digit\\bin" and "java.exe" and every combo I could
think up, but no luck. I looked at my temp-internet files and couldn't see
anything there, either.

It is a given that I have spazzed someplace here. Can any of you CSI
types, (Computer Spazz Investigations) clue me in?

rooster

look in control panel for "Java Plug In"
--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
_

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
> I tried to d/l the Java Runtime Environment program to W98/ IE6.
> According to the Java d/l site, the Verify signal (animated steaming cup
of
> coffee) indicated a successful d/l. During the installation, *no* cues nor
> clues appeared to indicate where the program would be installed.
> When I tried to "Find" the program, I tried: "C: \Program
> Files\Java\xxxx.1.[45].digit\\bin" and "java.exe" and every combo I could
> think up, but no luck. I looked at my temp-internet files and couldn't see
> anything there, either.
>
> It is a given that I have spazzed someplace here. Can any of you CSI
> types, (Computer Spazz Investigations) clue me in?
>
> rooster

Hi Almost Bob;

... nothing manifest in Control Panel Window; likewise, Add/Delete
Programs and Internet Options.

rooster

Windows Manual Download and Installation Instructions for the Java Rutime
Environment (JRE):
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000010300.xml

Is advertisement blocking software preventing the download?:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/ad_block.xml

Please provide the link you are using to install the java Runtime Environment.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
> I tried to d/l the Java Runtime Environment program to W98/ IE6.
> According to the Java d/l site, the Verify signal (animated steaming cup of
> coffee) indicated a successful d/l. During the installation, *no* cues nor
> clues appeared to indicate where the program would be installed.
> When I tried to "Find" the program, I tried: "C: \Program
> Files\Java\xxxx.1.[45].digit\\bin" and "java.exe" and every combo I could
> think up, but no luck. I looked at my temp-internet files and couldn't see
> anything there, either.
>
> It is a given that I have spazzed someplace here. Can any of you CSI
> types, (Computer Spazz Investigations) clue me in?
>
> rooster

....also:
Java Technology Help - Installation:
http://java.com/en/download/help/index_installing.xml
--

> Windows Manual Download and Installation Instructions for the Java Rutime
> Environment (JRE):
> http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000010300.xml
>
> Is advertisement blocking software preventing the download?:
> http://www.java.com/en/download/help/ad_block.xml
>
> Please provide the link you are using to install the java Runtime Environment.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
> > I tried to d/l the Java Runtime Environment program to W98/ IE6.
> > According to the Java d/l site, the Verify signal (animated steaming cup of
> > coffee) indicated a successful d/l. During the installation, *no* cues nor
> > clues appeared to indicate where the program would be installed.
> > When I tried to "Find" the program, I tried: "C: \Program
> > Files\Java\xxxx.1.[45].digit\\bin" and "java.exe" and every combo I could
> > think up, but no luck. I looked at my temp-internet files and couldn't see
> > anything there, either.
> >
> > It is a given that I have spazzed someplace here. Can any of you CSI
> > types, (Computer Spazz Investigations) clue me in?
> >
> > rooster

If the control panel applet isnt there, the install didnt complete, was AV
and antispyware disabled during the install

--

"AlmostBob" <anonymous1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If the control panel applet isnt there, the install didnt complete, was AV
> and antispyware disabled during the install
>
> --
> Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> spybot http://security.kolla.de
> AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> Catalog of removal tools (1)
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> Catalog of removal tools (2)
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use
>
> Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
> _
>

> "rooster" <rodstill@dcc(fish)net.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Almost Bob;
> >
> > ... nothing manifest in Control Panel Window; likewise, Add/Delete
> > Programs and Internet Options.
> >
> > rooster

AlmostBob & Glee;

The long story..... awww, forget it.

The short story: "Ol' Paint" here is limping along with 82% free, 16MB
RAM @ 133 MHz. The Sys Req's for Java Runtime 5.0 are: 32MB @ 166MHz.

Unless there is a viable workaround for the prohibit: "This machine does
not have the recommended amount of memory to install this product", then I'm
snookered. Even if I could install it, could I run it?

As ever, I appreciate your insight and help.

rooster

"Get more RAM" seems to be the only workaround.
--

> AlmostBob & Glee;
>
> The long story..... awww, forget it.
>
> The short story: "Ol' Paint" here is limping along with 82% free, 16MB
> RAM @ 133 MHz. The Sys Req's for Java Runtime 5.0 are: 32MB @ 166MHz.
>
> Unless there is a viable workaround for the prohibit: "This machine does
> not have the recommended amount of memory to install this product", then I'm
> snookered. Even if I could install it, could I run it?
>
> As ever, I appreciate your insight and help.
>
> rooster

Glen;

I know, I know; I'm procrastinating. I am probably going to have to go
over to the enemy (Mac G5) to optimise the programs I want to run and I'm
still trying to find a compelling reason to stay with Uncle Bill & the Boys
(& Girls). The i-Life Platform and Garage Band Suite are exactly what I am
looking for and in it's simplest configuration.

À bientôt,

rooster

> Is advertisement blocking software preventing the download?:
> http://www.java.com/en/download/help/ad_block.xml

What's up with these instructions?
From the link:

9. Close all applications including the browser.
10. Double-click on the saved file icon to start the installation process.

Note: Your computer must remain connected to the Internet during the
installation.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

What part don't you understand?

....glen

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> > Is advertisement blocking software preventing the download?:
> > http://www.java.com/en/download/help/ad_block.xml
>
> What's up with these instructions?
> From the link:
>
> 9. Close all applications including the browser.
> 10. Double-click on the saved file icon to start the installation process.
>
> Note: Your computer must remain connected to the Internet during the
> installation.
>
> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Closing the browser yet staying connected to the internet to install. Kind
of tough for those not always connected.

--

> Closing the browser yet staying connected to the internet to install. Kind
> of tough for those not always connected.

Why?

Running a browser has absolutely nothing
to do with being connected to the Internet.

A browser is not and never has been
an Internet necessity.

A browser is a tool used for browsing,
be it the World Wide Web tool or a local hard drive.

The Internet was around decades before the browser.

I thought that too at first, but that is because I have my settings to
disconnect when I close the browser. I would just have to say stay connected
when I get the autodisconnect But I won't install their Java. And they had
no good support - last time I looked.
--
mae

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
| Closing the browser yet staying connected to the internet to install. Kind
| of tough for those not always connected.
|
| --
|
| Brian A.
|
| Conflicts start where information lacks.
| http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
|

| "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
| > What part don't you understand?
| >
| > ...glen
| >
| > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
| >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
| >>
| >> What's up with these instructions?
| >> From the link:
| >>
| >> 9. Close all applications including the browser.
| >> 10. Double-click on the saved file icon to start the installation
| >> process.
| >>
| >> Note: Your computer must remain connected to the Internet during the
| >> installation.
| >>
| >> --
| >>
| >> Brian A.
| >>
| >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
| >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Not at all. I am connected right now with dial-up. I can close my browser and
newsreader and still be connected through DUN. So, where's the problem? The only
time this would be a problem is if you use <shudder> AOL....but that's not really an
ISP, is it?

....glen

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> Closing the browser yet staying connected to the internet to install. Kind
> of tough for those not always connected.
>
> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> > What part don't you understand?
> >
> > ...glen
> >
> > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> >> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> What's up with these instructions?
> >> From the link:
> >>
> >> 9. Close all applications including the browser.
> >> 10. Double-click on the saved file icon to start the installation
> >> process.
> >>
> >> Note: Your computer must remain connected to the Internet during the
> >> installation.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Brian A.
> >>
> >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
> >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Ok, that's obviously something I'm not familiar with. Don't know if it
makes a difference but I've never had dial-up so DUN was never needed. My
beginning experiences with the net on my own machine was with cable.

As they say, you live and learn.

--

> Not at all. I am connected right now with dial-up. I can close my
> browser and
> newsreader and still be connected through DUN. So, where's the problem?
> The only
> time this would be a problem is if you use <shudder> AOL....but that's not
> really an
> ISP, is it?
>
> ...glen
>
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
>> Closing the browser yet staying connected to the internet to install.
>> Kind
>> of tough for those not always connected.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Brian A.
>>
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
>> > What part don't you understand?
>> >
>> > ...glen
>> >
>> > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message

Well, we'll miss your questions here..... ;-)
--

> Glen;
>
> I know, I know; I'm procrastinating. I am probably going to have to go
> over to the enemy (Mac G5) to optimise the programs I want to run and I'm
> still trying to find a compelling reason to stay with Uncle Bill & the Boys
> (& Girls). The i-Life Platform and Garage Band Suite are exactly what I am
> looking for and in it's simplest configuration.
>
> À bientôt,
>
> rooster

....and Sun's updating methods are horrendous. I have gotten so fed up with them
that I have reverted for now back to the MS JVM.
--

"mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
> I thought that too at first, but that is because I have my settings to
> disconnect when I close the browser. I would just have to say stay connected
> when I get the autodisconnect But I won't install their Java. And they had
> no good support - last time I looked.
> --
> mae
>
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> | Closing the browser yet staying connected to the internet to install. Kind
> | of tough for those not always connected.
> |
> | --
> |
> | Brian A.
> |
> | Conflicts start where information lacks.
> | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> |

> | "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> | > What part don't you understand?
> | >
> | > ...glen
> | >
> | > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message

Glen;
Not so fast. The G5 ships with O/E & I/E. If I reconfigure my headers,
interpose a couple of mordent relays and secund a China.net server in, say,
Mongolia, y'all might hardly know its me. That is, if it weren't for the
cosmic improbability that there could be a Sino-pest as inept as me existing
in the same dimension.

BTW ... in China this is the "Year of the Rooster"; kind'a gives ya the
creeps, don't it?

gung hai fat choi,

rooster

Once you get to China, stand on your head, or you'll be up-side-down!
DON'T turn into a little-ender, rooster, JUST like Blanton did!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,