Weird Problem: Hard disk all of a sudden hums or hisses, a..

Hello,

I've been having this problem for quite a while already.

The pc will all of a sudden freeze, and then I can hear the hard disk, or
the pc, issue two hums or hisses, which is accompanied by the hard disk
light being on, indicating disk activities. After this two hisses, I can
move the mouse a bit. But then within like 10 or 15 seconds of the hums or
hisses, the hard disk hisses twice again, and the hard disk light is on.
Then the pc freezes right there.

Ctrl-alt-del can't reset the pc, and I need to press the reset button.

After the reboot, the pc is like normal again. But then, the problem may
come back from time to time, like after a few weeks' time.

I at first suspected of some viruses, but scanning with Norton Antivirus or
with Ad-aware and spybot search and destroy did not turn up any viruses or
spywares.

Anyone can point me to what I should try to check?

Thanks.

Herbert
2 answers Last reply
More about weird problem hard disk sudden hums hisses

    My first step would be to run the diagnostics for the brand of hard drive.
    If you don't know what brand the drive is, you can download the limited-use free
    edition of OnTrack Data Advisor from this location:
    http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor

    When you click the download link on that page for Data Advisor 5.0 Free edition, you
    will be taken to a page to register with the OnTrack site, then you will be able to
    download the diskette creator file.

    The downloads are diskette creators. They are to be run once from a working Windows
    system and will guide you through the process of extracting the Data Advisor onto a
    3.5" floppy disk.

    Download and Use Instructions:
    http://www.ontrack.com/dataadvisor/downloadinfo.asp

    As far as I know, Maxtor's diagnostics will also work with any brand of drive.

    Hard Drive Diagnostic Programs by Vendor:

    OnTrack Data Advisor:
    http://www.ontrack.com/freesoftware/#dataadvisor
    IBM/Hitachi Drive Fitness Test:
    http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
    Western Digital Data Lifeguard Tools:
    http://support.wdc.com/download/
    Quantum/Maxtor PowerMax:
    http://www.maxtor.com/en/support/downloads/powermax.htm
    Seagate SeaTools:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html
    Download:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/B7a.html
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/seatoold_reg.html
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Herbert Chan" <Herbert@Chan.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been having this problem for quite a while already.
    >
    > The pc will all of a sudden freeze, and then I can hear the hard disk, or
    > the pc, issue two hums or hisses, which is accompanied by the hard disk
    > light being on, indicating disk activities. After this two hisses, I can
    > move the mouse a bit. But then within like 10 or 15 seconds of the hums or
    > hisses, the hard disk hisses twice again, and the hard disk light is on.
    > Then the pc freezes right there.
    >
    > Ctrl-alt-del can't reset the pc, and I need to press the reset button.
    >
    > After the reboot, the pc is like normal again. But then, the problem may
    > come back from time to time, like after a few weeks' time.
    >
    > I at first suspected of some viruses, but scanning with Norton Antivirus or
    > with Ad-aware and spybot search and destroy did not turn up any viruses or
    > spywares.
    >
    > Anyone can point me to what I should try to check?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Herbert

    Glee's advice always sounded good to me. Before/after that, perhaps...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q287914
    Articles about Scandisk
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q286263
    Articles about Defrag

    I must warn that Scandisk may not do a great job when there is a
    great one to do...
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/scandisk.htm
    Therefore, perhaps UNcheck "Automatically fix errors" on it's front
    screen. It will then ask whether you want each error fixed. If it sounds
    truly horrible, say "No!", and post the log. The log will be
    "C:\Scandisk.log". Do not let it constantly restart, either.
    (When running Scandisk in DOS, there won't be such a box to uncheck. You
    must do it in "C:\Windows\Command\Scandisk.ini", per cquirke's advice.)
    REALLY, in light of all THAT, the BEST thing to do is to have a full
    system backup to run to! Would you like my list of backup apps?

    1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
    None)
    2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
    On,Never,Never,Never)
    3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
    4. Suspend Task Scheduler
    5. Turn off interfering programs. Use "StartupCop" or "EndItAll2" from
    PCMag (below). Or "START, Run, MSConfig, Startup tab". Note what is
    unchecked. Then, go to the General tab & disable the entire Startup
    Group, by clicking "Selective.." & unchecking "Load Startup...". Reboot.
    Don't forget to re-enable before the next boot.
    6. Use "HDValet" from PCMag, or
    (a) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
    all offline content, OK, OK"
    (b) "START, Run, %TEMP%", & delete all files that will let you. This
    will likely be "C:\Windows\Temp". This is best done after a fresh boot,
    unless you have not seen the message "Reboot to complete this install".
    7. Run Scandisk (Thorough, usually w/o write testing. Check all three
    items under "Scandisk, Advanced button, 'Check files for' box". If you
    want to be informed as it does a fix, UNcheck "Automatically fix errors"
    on the front screen, or look inside "C:\Scandisk.log" afterwards.)
    8. "START, Run, Defrag /p /details". Apparently, "/p" Defrags the
    unmovables.

    The purpose of steps 1-5 is only to prevent constant restarts of
    Scandisk & Defrag, if you get them; but DEFINITELY turn off the Virus
    Scanner. Scandisk should be done perhaps once a month, and certainly
    after every serious crash. Do a Defrag after a sluggish boot or when
    this says so:
    http://www.pcmag.com/ 's CrackUp, by Gregory A. Wolking & Bob Flanders.
    Also, take DiskAction, to determine what is constantly writing to the
    HDD, which causes the restarts. Take BHOCop & StartupCop too.

    "DiskAction" reports the last 12 processes that access any partition. It
    discovered the MS Critical Update Notification Tool was accessing my
    HDD every five minutes. It can be uninstalled in "Control Panel,
    Add/Remove Programs". Then, occasionally, "START, Windows Update" on
    your own.

    "BHOCop" found a Browser Helper Object called Wavehelper Class, created
    by "Wavetop", that was building a monstrosity of an error log called
    "Logit.txt" in here. "START, Find, F/F, Logit.txt"-- see one?

    Now, my hard drive is quieter than my mouse. (Of course, I now also have
    384 MB RAM, up from an initial 64, eliminating Swap File activity.)

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Herbert Chan" <Herbert@Chan.com> wrote in message
    | Hello,
    |
    | I've been having this problem for quite a while already.
    |
    | The pc will all of a sudden freeze, and then I can hear the hard disk,
    or
    | the pc, issue two hums or hisses, which is accompanied by the hard
    disk
    | light being on, indicating disk activities. After this two hisses, I
    can
    | move the mouse a bit. But then within like 10 or 15 seconds of the
    hums or
    | hisses, the hard disk hisses twice again, and the hard disk light is
    on.
    | Then the pc freezes right there.
    |
    | Ctrl-alt-del can't reset the pc, and I need to press the reset button.
    |
    | After the reboot, the pc is like normal again. But then, the problem
    may
    | come back from time to time, like after a few weeks' time.
    |
    | I at first suspected of some viruses, but scanning with Norton
    Antivirus or
    | with Ad-aware and spybot search and destroy did not turn up any
    viruses or
    | spywares.
    |
    | Anyone can point me to what I should try to check?
    |
    | Thanks.
    |
    | Herbert

Light Hard Drives Microsoft Windows