msgsrv32 problem made worse by using scanreg/restore

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi to all and thanks in advance to any help you can provide.

In the process of trying to fix a spyware problem (Win98), I was deleting
Temp files under IE5. Afterward windows explorer would hang up and
Ctl/Alt/Del showed that msgsrv32 was not responding. I used the
scanreg/restore command selecting the first line choice offered.

When I rebooted, Windows searched for drivers for several things, the USB
connections were not recognized,the active desktop recovery can not fix
itself, some of the programs do not work, etc.

Is there any easy way to address these problems, or do I have to reload
software and address each problem individually?

Thanks
Jerry

When you say you used scanreg /restore, "selecting the first line choice offered",
what was the date shown on that selection? The backups listed are not in date
order....you must choose by date, selecting the most recent backup you have from
just prior to the problem you are trying to fix. Try scanreg /restore again from a
DOS boot, buit look at the *dates* of the backups, and select a very recent one.
restoring an old backup will leave you with a Registry that does not include
anything installed or modified since that time.

BTW, deleting Temporary Internet Files should not have had any negative effects.
What else did you delete? Msgsrv32 is a "message server"....it is just shuttling
messages between modules.

What are you using to idenify and remove the spyware? I do not suggest doing it all
manually.
Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.

Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.

Install Ad-Aware SE free edition, start it, click its 'Check for Updates' link in
the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system, and remove what it
finds.
Ad-Aware:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Install SpywareBlaster:
Click the link in the app to check for and install updates, then click to 'Enable
all protection'.
Update at least weekly.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi to all and thanks in advance to any help you can provide.
>
> In the process of trying to fix a spyware problem (Win98), I was deleting
> Temp files under IE5. Afterward windows explorer would hang up and
> Ctl/Alt/Del showed that msgsrv32 was not responding. I used the
> scanreg/restore command selecting the first line choice offered.
>
> When I rebooted, Windows searched for drivers for several things, the USB
> connections were not recognized,the active desktop recovery can not fix
> itself, some of the programs do not work, etc.
>
> Is there any easy way to address these problems, or do I have to reload
> software and address each problem individually?
>
> Thanks
> Jerry

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks glee

There are three dates subsequent to when the problem occured and 6/11/04,
which I think is similar to the date of the file that I selected when I
initially did the scanreg/restore. So I'm thinking that selecting the
6/11/04 would leave me right where I am??

At this point the computer boots with four messages about "cannot find a
device file needed to run window or a windows application..."

I am unable to access the printer and modem on USB ports....I deleted the
USB references under device manager and when windows reboots I see it
identifying the appropriate hardware, but after finishing booting, neither
are accessible.

Is this an IRQ or registry problem?

Besides deleting temp files, I was struggling (unsuccessfully) to run
scandisk and defrag even in safe mode because a process was writing to the
hard drive. That led me to use enditall to try and get rid of these
processes. That didn't seem to work, so I used spybot S&D to try and get rid
of spyware, but it hung up and I began deleting temp files. This is why
friends shouldn't let friends troubleshoot puter problems.

I also noticed that when I try to access System Information, I get the
message " Cannot Display Information.. the component which displays the
information is not functioning properly or is not present on the machine"

When I get back to where I was, I will resume my battle witht the spyware.

Thanks again, Jerry

"glee" wrote:

> When you say you used scanreg /restore, "selecting the first line choice offered",
> what was the date shown on that selection? The backups listed are not in date
> order....you must choose by date, selecting the most recent backup you have from
> just prior to the problem you are trying to fix. Try scanreg /restore again from a
> DOS boot, buit look at the *dates* of the backups, and select a very recent one.
> restoring an old backup will leave you with a Registry that does not include
> anything installed or modified since that time.
>
> BTW, deleting Temporary Internet Files should not have had any negative effects.
> What else did you delete? Msgsrv32 is a "message server"....it is just shuttling
> messages between modules.
>
> What are you using to idenify and remove the spyware? I do not suggest doing it all
> manually.
> Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.
>
> Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
> http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
> Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix button.
>
> Install Ad-Aware SE free edition, start it, click its 'Check for Updates' link in
> the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system, and remove what it
> finds.
> Ad-Aware:
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
>
> Install SpywareBlaster:
> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2859.html
> Click the link in the app to check for and install updates, then click to 'Enable
> all protection'.
> Update at least weekly.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi to all and thanks in advance to any help you can provide.
> >
> > In the process of trying to fix a spyware problem (Win98), I was deleting
> > Temp files under IE5. Afterward windows explorer would hang up and
> > Ctl/Alt/Del showed that msgsrv32 was not responding. I used the
> > scanreg/restore command selecting the first line choice offered.
> >
> > When I rebooted, Windows searched for drivers for several things, the USB
> > connections were not recognized,the active desktop recovery can not fix
> > itself, some of the programs do not work, etc.
> >
> > Is there any easy way to address these problems, or do I have to reload
> > software and address each problem individually?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Jerry

You need to restore to the most recent dated file in scanreg/restore. Why are you
restoring a backup from June 2004? There should be one named rbbad.cab, and it
should be dated on the day you did the other scanreg/restore. Check that it has
that date....if so, restore it, and that will put you back where you started. Then
you can troubleshoot the spyware problem, if any. The last thing you need to do
right now is try to run defrag. Never run defrag on a system that may have
problems.
--

> [...]
> > Update at least weekly.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi to all and thanks in advance to any help you can provide.
> > >
> > > In the process of trying to fix a spyware problem (Win98), I was deleting
> > > Temp files under IE5. Afterward windows explorer would hang up and
> > > Ctl/Alt/Del showed that msgsrv32 was not responding. I used the
> > > scanreg/restore command selecting the first line choice offered.
> > >
> > > When I rebooted, Windows searched for drivers for several things, the USB
> > > connections were not recognized,the active desktop recovery can not fix
> > > itself, some of the programs do not work, etc.
> > >
> > > Is there any easy way to address these problems, or do I have to reload
> > > software and address each problem individually?

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

rbbad.cab was updated today.

"glee" wrote:

> [...]
> all
> > > manually.
> > > Update your anti-virus app and then run a full-system virus scan.
> > >
> > > Use CWShredder, the CoolWeb removal tool, available here:
> > > http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
> > > http://aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
> > > Close all browser windows and open apps, start CWShredder and click the Fix
> button.
> > >
> > > Install Ad-Aware SE free edition, start it, click its 'Check for Updates' link
> in
> > > the app to install updates, then use it to scan your system, and remove what it
> > > finds.
> > > Ad-Aware:
> > > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
> > >
> > > Install SpywareBlaster:
> > > http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2859.html
> > > Click the link in the app to check for and install updates, then click to

.....and? Did you restore a most recent backup?
--

> rbbad.cab was updated today.
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
> > You need to restore to the most recent dated file in scanreg/restore. Why are
you
> > restoring a backup from June 2004? There should be one named rbbad.cab, and it
> > should be dated on the day you did the other scanreg/restore. Check that it has
> > that date....if so, restore it, and that will put you back where you started.
Then
> > you can troubleshoot the spyware problem, if any. The last thing you need to do
> > right now is try to run defrag. Never run defrag on a system that may have
> > problems.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks glee
> > >
> > > There are three dates subsequent to when the problem occured and 6/11/04,
> > > which I think is similar to the date of the file that I selected when I
> > > initially did the scanreg/restore. So I'm thinking that selecting the
> > > 6/11/04 would leave me right where I am??
> > >
> > > At this point the computer boots with four messages about "cannot find a
> > > device file needed to run window or a windows application..."
> > >
> > > I am unable to access the printer and modem on USB ports....I deleted the
> > > USB references under device manager and when windows reboots I see it
> > > identifying the appropriate hardware, but after finishing booting, neither
> > > are accessible.
> > >
> > > Is this an IRQ or registry problem?
> > >
> > > Besides deleting temp files, I was struggling (unsuccessfully) to run
> > > scandisk and defrag even in safe mode because a process was writing to the
> > > hard drive. That led me to use enditall to try and get rid of these
> > > processes. That didn't seem to work, so I used spybot S&D to try and get rid
> > > of spyware, but it hung up and I began deleting temp files. This is why
> > > friends shouldn't let friends troubleshoot puter problems.
> > >
> > > I also noticed that when I try to access System Information, I get the
> > > message " Cannot Display Information.. the component which displays the
> > > information is not functioning properly or is not present on the machine"
> > >
> > > When I get back to where I was, I will resume my battle witht the spyware.
> > >
> > > Thanks again, Jerry

> > offered",
> > from a

> > shuttling

> > all

> > button.

> > in

> > 'Enable

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

None of the choices looked like it would return me to where I was, so I
didn't restore. I did get the puter to recognize my printer...but still not
the modem. Any tips on this?

Thanks
Jerry

"glee" wrote:

> .....and? Did you restore a most recent backup?
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > rbbad.cab was updated today.
> >
> > "glee" wrote:
> >
> > > You need to restore to the most recent dated file in scanreg/restore. Why are
> you
> > > restoring a backup from June 2004? There should be one named rbbad.cab, and it
> > > should be dated on the day you did the other scanreg/restore. Check that it has
> > > that date....if so, restore it, and that will put you back where you started.
> Then
> > > you can troubleshoot the spyware problem, if any. The last thing you need to do
> > > right now is try to run defrag. Never run defrag on a system that may have
> > > problems.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >
> > > "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > offered",
> date
> from
> > > from a
> one.

> effects.
> > > shuttling

> doing it
> > > all

> > > button.

> link
> > > in
> it

> > > 'Enable

If you do not have a recent registry backup, you will have to reinstall everything
that does not work. What are the dates on the backups when you run scanreg
/restore? You can look in the Windows\Sysbckup folder in Windows Explorer and see
the rb###.cab files and their dates (set Explorer to Details view).
--

> None of the choices looked like it would return me to where I was, so I
> didn't restore. I did get the puter to recognize my printer...but still not
> the modem. Any tips on this?
>
> Thanks
> Jerry
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
> > .....and? Did you restore a most recent backup?
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > rbbad.cab was updated today.

> > you
> > Then

> > date
> > from
> > one.

> > effects.

> > doing it

Fix

Updates'
> > link
> > it

USB

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

BINGO

I can actually say that I am happy to have my old problems back...I restored
the registry from that day that this all began...the file was much larger
than the registry's for the days that followed. It is slow and I get
about:blank for my home page no matter how many times that I change it....but
at least I can access the internet..

Thank you so much....now back to my original project of cleaning the spyware
off. I will reference your previous instructions.

Jerry

"glee" wrote:

> If you do not have a recent registry backup, you will have to reinstall everything
> that does not work. What are the dates on the backups when you run scanreg
> /restore? You can look in the Windows\Sysbckup folder in Windows Explorer and see
> the rb###.cab files and their dates (set Explorer to Details view).
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > None of the choices looked like it would return me to where I was, so I
> > didn't restore. I did get the puter to recognize my printer...but still not
> > the modem. Any tips on this?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Jerry
> >
> > "glee" wrote:
> >
> > > .....and? Did you restore a most recent backup?
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >
> > > "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> are
> > > you
> it
> has
> started.
> > > Then
> to do

> rid

> in
> > > date
> have
> > > from
> again
> recent
> > > one.
> include

> > > effects.

> > > doing it

> Fix

> Updates'
> > > link
> what
> > > it

> deleting

> USB
> fix

> reload

:)

Have a look here -
PC Hell: How to Remove About:Blank Homepage Hijacker:
http://www.pchell.com/support/aboutblank.shtml

Also, add this to my original suggestions re: spyware removal:

Download, unzip, and run Hijack This from one of these locations:
http://computercops.biz/downloads-cat-14.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/HijackThis.exe
Unzip to a folder *other than* your Desktop or the Temp folder, double-click
HijackThis.exe, and hit "Scan".

When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
button.
Press that, save the log somewhere you can find it (Desktop, My Documents, or
similar).
Most of what it lists will be harmless or even required, so do NOT fix anything yet.

Copy the log files and paste them into a new post at ONE of these forums:
http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
In your post, please state your problem clearly and what you've done so far to fix
it.

The folks there will tell you what to remove.

See the "housekeeping" they ask you to complete before you post your log:
http://aumha.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4075

A tutorial for using Hijack This is located here:
http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
--

> BINGO
>
> I can actually say that I am happy to have my old problems back...I restored
> the registry from that day that this all began...the file was much larger
> than the registry's for the days that followed. It is slow and I get
> about:blank for my home page no matter how many times that I change it....but
> at least I can access the internet..
>
> Thank you so much....now back to my original project of cleaning the spyware
> off. I will reference your previous instructions.
>
> Jerry
>
> "glee" wrote:
>
> > If you do not have a recent registry backup, you will have to reinstall
everything
> > that does not work. What are the dates on the backups when you run scanreg
> > /restore? You can look in the Windows\Sysbckup folder in Windows Explorer and
see
> > the rb###.cab files and their dates (set Explorer to Details view).
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > "Jerry" <Jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > None of the choices looked like it would return me to where I was, so I
> > > didn't restore. I did get the puter to recognize my printer...but still not
> > > the modem. Any tips on this?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Jerry

Why
> > are
> > it
> > has
> > started.
> > to do

> > rid

> > in
> > have
> > again
> > recent
> > include

> > Fix

> > Updates'
> > what

> > deleting

> > USB
> > fix

> > reload

The registry is *normally* automatically backed up each and every day
(assuming you reboot or turn off your computer), not multiple times in one
day. Of course, there are only normally 5 backup files to choose from.

Jerry wrote:
> The only one available that I did have the modem working last night
results
> in the Explorer performing an illegal activity...so I didn't think that I
had
> a choice but to accept one that at least allowed me to boot the computer.
It