Slow startup on WIN98

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 20, 2005 12:07:02 PM

Recently windows has been very slow to boot. It hangs on both the posting
screen (black screen) and on the Windows 98 startup screen. I have checked
all startup programs in msconfig and no unknown or new stuff runnig, no
spyware spyware, no viruses, device manager checked, etc--no problems to be
found. This startup all of a sudden.

I have checked other postings and can't seem to find any good ideas. Please
help if you can.

More about : slow startup win98

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 3:42:30 PM

Do a logged boot, and then download and run BootLog Analyzer.
Set BootLog Analyser to show delays and failures, and post back with that report.

BootLog Analyzer
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Downright_pages/downrigh...
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Download_Area/Downrights...

To do a logged boot, start the computer and hold down the CTRL key till the Windows
98 Startup menu (boot menu) appears.
Use the arrow keys to select "Logged [/bootlog.txt]" and press Enter.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently windows has been very slow to boot. It hangs on both the posting
> screen (black screen) and on the Windows 98 startup screen. I have checked
> all startup programs in msconfig and no unknown or new stuff runnig, no
> spyware spyware, no viruses, device manager checked, etc--no problems to be
> found. This startup all of a sudden.
>
> I have checked other postings and can't seem to find any good ideas. Please
> help if you can.

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 5:37:42 PM

Follow Glen's suggestion first.

Have you recently installed/uninstalled any new hardware/software prior to
the slowdown?

Are you 100% sure there are no parasites installed/running? In today's
environment the way code is being written for parasites allows them to run
in a stealth/hidden mode, which makes them very difficult to detect let
alone remove.

Is your machines configuration set to show all files?
Are your antivirus and spyware definitions fully up-to-date?
Did you run them in Safe Mode where you have a better chance of detecting
them?

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm