Slow startup on WIN98

Recently windows has been very slow to boot. It hangs on both the posting
screen (black screen) and on the Windows 98 startup screen. I have checked
all startup programs in msconfig and no unknown or new stuff runnig, no
spyware spyware, no viruses, device manager checked, etc--no problems to be
found. This startup all of a sudden.

I have checked other postings and can't seem to find any good ideas. Please
help if you can.
2 answers Last reply
More about slow startup win98

    Do a logged boot, and then download and run BootLog Analyzer.
    Set BootLog Analyser to show delays and failures, and post back with that report.

    BootLog Analyzer
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Downright_pages/downrights_a-z.htm
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Download_Area/Downrights/bootlog_analyzer.exe

    To do a logged boot, start the computer and hold down the CTRL key till the Windows
    98 Startup menu (boot menu) appears.
    Use the arrow keys to select "Logged [/bootlog.txt]" and press Enter.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Recently windows has been very slow to boot. It hangs on both the posting
    > screen (black screen) and on the Windows 98 startup screen. I have checked
    > all startup programs in msconfig and no unknown or new stuff runnig, no
    > spyware spyware, no viruses, device manager checked, etc--no problems to be
    > found. This startup all of a sudden.
    >
    > I have checked other postings and can't seem to find any good ideas. Please
    > help if you can.

    Follow Glen's suggestion first.

    Have you recently installed/uninstalled any new hardware/software prior to
    the slowdown?

    Are you 100% sure there are no parasites installed/running? In today's
    environment the way code is being written for parasites allows them to run
    in a stealth/hidden mode, which makes them very difficult to detect let
    alone remove.

    Is your machines configuration set to show all files?
    Are your antivirus and spyware definitions fully up-to-date?
    Did you run them in Safe Mode where you have a better chance of detecting
    them?

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Recently windows has been very slow to boot. It hangs on both the posting
    > screen (black screen) and on the Windows 98 startup screen. I have checked
    > all startup programs in msconfig and no unknown or new stuff runnig, no
    > spyware spyware, no viruses, device manager checked, etc--no problems to
    > be
    > found. This startup all of a sudden.
    >
    > I have checked other postings and can't seem to find any good ideas.
    > Please
    > help if you can.

Slow Startup Windows