It's built, but possibly a minor/major problem. . .

raven70

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
ETA: Forgot to mention that I did load the Nvidia IDE drivers. I have heard of people having problems with them?

I completed the build on my new PC, and it is working great. I have had no lock-ups or crashes, even after running several intensive gaming sessions with Half Life 2, Beyond Good and Evil and others. I did use the motherboard's built-in overclocking features to bump the system up about 3 or 5% without issue, and CPU temp has never climed above 39 C. RAID is disabbled in BIOS. Latest BIOS 1.b, Nvidia drivers, etc.

HOWEVER, I have one recurring error in the Event Log (I think mostly when playing Half Life 2). . .

An error was detected on device DeviceHarddisk0D during a paging operation.
Details
Product: Windows Operating System
Event ID: 51
Source: Disk
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE
Message: An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation.

Explanation
An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.

User Action
If these events are logged regularly on a primary system drive, replace the device. Otherwise, no user action is required

Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: IO_WARNING_PAGING_FAILURE
Message: An error was detected on device %1 during a paging operation.

Explanation
An input/output (I/O) request to a memory-mapped file failed and the operation was retried.

User Action
If these events are logged regularly on a primary system drive, replace the device. Otherwise, no user action is required.

Mentioned Here

My next steps are to go to stock speed, memtest and check hard drive. However, has anyone seen this before? I found some VERY old posts that mention this and some stuff on Expert Exchange, but nothing specific.

One last thought, I had to manually set the timings for the memory as my BIOS did not automatically configure iy. This is a known issue. However, my memory (per Newegg) is rated at 1.85. I have left that at 1.65 per the BIOS. It was implied in a previous post that the 1.85 is the max. I am unfamiliar with memory settings, etc., so talk slowly. . .

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
EVGA GF 7600GT 256-P2-N553-AX - Retail
AMD|ATHLON 64 X2 3800+ 939P R - Retail
2 gig total of 1Gx2|D400 OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K R - Retail
250G|WD 7K 16M SATA WD2500YD - OEM
1 NEC 3550A DVD Burner - Retail

purelithium

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
You're going to do the perfect thing.

Memtest. Then run your Harddrive's proprietary testing utility.

It sounds like a simple Ram issue.

A question. Does this affect your playing games/etc.? Does it hinder you to do any tasks? It could just be a software error that doesn't affect your performance.

raven70

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
No, nothing has been impacted. Just an intermitent error that pops up (10-15 entries per time). I have had bad block errors before on another system, and those just keep getting posted, because the timeout (if there is one) is forever. . .

raven70

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
there's always some errors in even viewer

Thanks for the advice, but I totally disagree with that last statement. A properly loaded system should not experience errors. As a worst case, there may be errors, but there should be a known cause that may be waiting for a fix, etc.

raven70

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I ran the Western Digital diagnostic programs last night without error. I ahve not run memtest yet. One interesting thing was when I installed the Western Digital software it informed me that my computer was not configured to recognize greater than 137GB. I allowed it to make a registry change for this. I have not noticed the error in the event log again.