Windows slow to boot up after installing new CD Rom

I replaced my slower CD rOm with a 56x drive recently. Now my PC is VERY slow
to boot up. I know it has something to do with the new drvie because when I
take the IDE cable off, it boots normally. I have it set as the secondary
slave to my CD burner which is set to secondary master--this is the setup I
used witht the old drvie too. Any ideas?

obvious Q cdrom is set on the sec slave cable, but is the jumper on the cd
drive set to slave

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
_

"bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I replaced my slower CD rOm with a 56x drive recently. Now my PC is VERY
slow
> to boot up. I know it has something to do with the new drvie because when
> take the IDE cable off, it boots normally. I have it set as the secondary
> slave to my CD burner which is set to secondary master--this is the setup
> used witht the old drvie too. Any ideas?

Yes it is.

"AlmostBob" wrote:

> obvious Q cdrom is set on the sec slave cable, but is the jumper on the cd
> drive set to slave
>
> --
> Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> spybot http://security.kolla.de
> AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> Catalog of removal tools (1)
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> Catalog of removal tools (2)
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use
>
> Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
> _
>

> "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I replaced my slower CD rOm with a 56x drive recently. Now my PC is VERY
> slow
> > to boot up. I know it has something to do with the new drvie because when
> > take the IDE cable off, it boots normally. I have it set as the secondary
> > slave to my CD burner which is set to secondary master--this is the setup
> > used witht the old drvie too. Any ideas?

What do you have as Primary Slave, anything? I'd also test it as
Secondary Master to see if that actually helps. Also, how do you have
the BIOS set? All IDE channels on Auto, or what?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Yes it is.
>
> "AlmostBob" wrote:
>
> > obvious Q cdrom is set on the sec slave cable, but is the jumper on
the cd
> > drive set to slave
> >
> > --
> > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> > spybot http://security.kolla.de
> > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> > Catalog of removal tools (1)
> > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> > Catalog of removal tools (2)

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
> > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
before use

> > Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
> > _
> >

> > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I replaced my slower CD rOm with a 56x drive recently. Now my PC
is VERY
> > slow
> > > to boot up. I know it has something to do with the new drvie
because when
> > > take the IDE cable off, it boots normally. I have it set as the
secondary
> > > slave to my CD burner which is set to secondary master--this is
the setup
> > > used witht the old drvie too. Any ideas?

Gary,

All IDEs are set to auto in the Bios. It does seem to corrected the problem
if I switch the burner to slave and the CD to master. Hopefully this doesn't
create other problems. The manual for the burner says they suggest that I
have the burner as master--but not required. Not sure why. I'll leave it and
see what happens. If no problems, then I'll consider it fixed. thanks!

Brian

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> What do you have as Primary Slave, anything? I'd also test it as
> Secondary Master to see if that actually helps. Also, how do you have
> the BIOS set? All IDE channels on Auto, or what?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes it is.
> >
> > "AlmostBob" wrote:
> >
> > > obvious Q cdrom is set on the sec slave cable, but is the jumper on
> the cd
> > > drive set to slave
> > >
> > > --
> > > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> > > spybot http://security.kolla.de
> > > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> > > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> > > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> > > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> > > Catalog of removal tools (1)
> > > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> > > Catalog of removal tools (2)
> > >
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
> > > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> > > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> > > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
> before use
> > >
> > > Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
> > > _
> > >

> > > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> is VERY
> > > slow
> because when
> secondary
> the setup

Well, I always suggest putting the burner as Master, and I have
first-hand experience with burning too many coasters when it's the
slave. Personally, I'd consider trading that new drive in if you still
can. I have 56x drives as slaves and it doesn't seem to affect their
performance. Or, if you have a spare PCI slot, get a plug-in IDE
controller. (Or, if you have firewire or USB2, get a Sony DRX 510UL,
<eg>.)

Then again, perhaps your burner will have no problems.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Gary,
>
> All IDEs are set to auto in the Bios. It does seem to corrected the
problem
> if I switch the burner to slave and the CD to master. Hopefully this
doesn't
> create other problems. The manual for the burner says they suggest
that I
> have the burner as master--but not required. Not sure why. I'll leave
it and
> see what happens. If no problems, then I'll consider it fixed. thanks!
>
> Brian
>

> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > What do you have as Primary Slave, anything? I'd also test it as
> > Secondary Master to see if that actually helps. Also, how do you
have
> > the BIOS set? All IDE channels on Auto, or what?
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User

Boot to Safe Mode and remove any/all drives/controllers in Device Manager.
Reboot and Windows will redetect/reinstall the controllers/drivers.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I replaced my slower CD rOm with a 56x drive recently. Now my PC is VERY
>slow
> to boot up. I know it has something to do with the new drvie because when
> take the IDE cable off, it boots normally. I have it set as the secondary
> slave to my CD burner which is set to secondary master--this is the setup
> used witht the old drvie too. Any ideas?

Good idea! Why didn't I think of that?

(Because my brain is mush today, perhaps? I'd go back to bed, but these
dreams I've been having leave me feeling like I've lived two years in
under two hours! What I get for going on the Einstein sleep schedule.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> Boot to Safe Mode and remove any/all drives/controllers in Device
Manager.
> Reboot and Windows will redetect/reinstall the controllers/drivers.
>
> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I replaced my slower CD rOm with a 56x drive recently. Now my PC is
VERY
> >slow
> > to boot up. I know it has something to do with the new drvie because
when
> > take the IDE cable off, it boots normally. I have it set as the
secondary
> > slave to my CD burner which is set to secondary master--this is the
setup
> > used witht the old drvie too. Any ideas?

I would leave it to Terhune to suggest a total devastation of
drivers/controllers in Safe Mode. Usually he does it better!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
| Boot to Safe Mode and remove any/all drives/controllers in Device
Manager.
| Reboot and Windows will redetect/reinstall the controllers/drivers.
|
| --
|
| Brian A.
|
| Conflicts start where information lacks.
| http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
|

| "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| >I replaced my slower CD rOm with a 56x drive recently. Now my PC is
VERY
| >slow
| > to boot up. I know it has something to do with the new drvie because
when
| > take the IDE cable off, it boots normally. I have it set as the
secondary
| > slave to my CD burner which is set to secondary master--this is the
setup
| > used witht the old drvie too. Any ideas?

That's your prerogative. There is nothing wrong with the OP trying my
suggestion.

How'd you get out anyway? Do they know your AWOL?

--

>I would leave it to Terhune to suggest a total devastation of
> drivers/controllers in Safe Mode. Usually he does it better!
>
> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> | Boot to Safe Mode and remove any/all drives/controllers in Device
> Manager.
> | Reboot and Windows will redetect/reinstall the controllers/drivers.
> |
> | --
> |
> | Brian A.
> |
> | Conflicts start where information lacks.
> | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> |

> | "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | >I replaced my slower CD rOm with a 56x drive recently. Now my PC is
> VERY
> | >slow
> | > to boot up. I know it has something to do with the new drvie because
> when
> | > take the IDE cable off, it boots normally. I have it set as the
> secondary
> | > slave to my CD burner which is set to secondary master--this is the
> setup
> | > used witht the old drvie too. Any ideas?

"bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I replaced my slower CD rOm with a 56x drive recently. Now my PC is VERY
slow
> to boot up. I know it has something to do with the new drvie because when
> take the IDE cable off, it boots normally. I have it set as the secondary
> slave to my CD burner which is set to secondary master--this is the setup
> used witht the old drvie too. Any ideas?

Boot into Safe Mode.

Press and hold a Windows key and press the Pause key

Click on Device Manager

Click the + sign on the CDROM tree

If the old CDROM drive is still listed,
highlight it and click Remove

Gary,

Unfortunatley I had to switch it back to burner as master, cdrom as slave
because my burner software and media player would not recognize the burner
when it is set as slave. I guess I'll have to buy that PCI device you
mentioned since I cannot return the new drive. I guess thats what I get for
buying a cheap drive!

Thanks,
Brian

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Well, I always suggest putting the burner as Master, and I have
> first-hand experience with burning too many coasters when it's the
> slave. Personally, I'd consider trading that new drive in if you still
> can. I have 56x drives as slaves and it doesn't seem to affect their
> performance. Or, if you have a spare PCI slot, get a plug-in IDE
> controller. (Or, if you have firewire or USB2, get a Sony DRX 510UL,
> <eg>.)
>
> Then again, perhaps your burner will have no problems.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Gary,
> >
> > All IDEs are set to auto in the Bios. It does seem to corrected the
> problem
> > if I switch the burner to slave and the CD to master. Hopefully this
> doesn't
> > create other problems. The manual for the burner says they suggest
> that I
> > have the burner as master--but not required. Not sure why. I'll leave
> it and
> > see what happens. If no problems, then I'll consider it fixed. thanks!
> >
> > Brian
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> > > What do you have as Primary Slave, anything? I'd also test it as
> > > Secondary Master to see if that actually helps. Also, how do you
> have
> > > the BIOS set? All IDE channels on Auto, or what?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS MVP Shell/User
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

Well, first be sure to try Glen and Hugh's suggestions. Glen's goes
farther than Hugh's does, and I would go even a bit further. Boot into
Safe Mode (*must* be Safe Mode), go into Device Manager, remove ALL
drives and ALL controllers (except the FIFOs, which won't let themselves
be removed.) Also remove the device in the System section called "PCI
Bus". Restart and let Windows reinstall everything. Will take one more
restart in the middle of the installations.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Gary,
>
> Unfortunatley I had to switch it back to burner as master, cdrom as
slave
> because my burner software and media player would not recognize the
burner
> when it is set as slave. I guess I'll have to buy that PCI device you
> mentioned since I cannot return the new drive. I guess thats what I
get for
> buying a cheap drive!
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
>

> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > Well, I always suggest putting the burner as Master, and I have
> > first-hand experience with burning too many coasters when it's the
> > slave. Personally, I'd consider trading that new drive in if you
still
> > can. I have 56x drives as slaves and it doesn't seem to affect their
> > performance. Or, if you have a spare PCI slot, get a plug-in IDE
> > controller. (Or, if you have firewire or USB2, get a Sony DRX 510UL,
> > <eg>.)
> >
> > Then again, perhaps your burner will have no problems.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Gary,
> > >
> > > All IDEs are set to auto in the Bios. It does seem to corrected
the
> > problem
> > > if I switch the burner to slave and the CD to master. Hopefully
this
> > doesn't
> > > create other problems. The manual for the burner says they suggest
> > that I
> > > have the burner as master--but not required. Not sure why. I'll
leave
> > it and
> > > see what happens. If no problems, then I'll consider it fixed.
thanks!

> > > Brian

> > have

That'd be Brian and Hugh....I am not in this thread. (Well, now I am).

....glen

> Well, first be sure to try Glen and Hugh's suggestions. Glen's goes
> farther than Hugh's does, and I would go even a bit further. Boot into
> Safe Mode (*must* be Safe Mode), go into Device Manager, remove ALL
> drives and ALL controllers (except the FIFOs, which won't let themselves
> be removed.) Also remove the device in the System section called "PCI
> Bus". Restart and let Windows reinstall everything. Will take one more
> restart in the middle of the installations.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Gary,
> >
> > Unfortunatley I had to switch it back to burner as master, cdrom as
> slave
> > because my burner software and media player would not recognize the
> burner
> > when it is set as slave. I guess I'll have to buy that PCI device you
> > mentioned since I cannot return the new drive. I guess thats what I
> get for
> > buying a cheap drive!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> > > Well, I always suggest putting the burner as Master, and I have
> > > first-hand experience with burning too many coasters when it's the
> > > slave. Personally, I'd consider trading that new drive in if you
> still
> > > can. I have 56x drives as slaves and it doesn't seem to affect their
> > > performance. Or, if you have a spare PCI slot, get a plug-in IDE
> > > controller. (Or, if you have firewire or USB2, get a Sony DRX 510UL,
> > > <eg>.)
> > >
> > > Then again, perhaps your burner will have no problems.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS MVP Shell/User
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> > >
> > > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> the
> > > problem
> this
> > > doesn't
> > > that I
> leave
> > > it and
> thanks!

> > > have

Shoot! Have I told you my memory is shot? Woke up from a nap this
evening, wife says, "You got a call from a client." Only, even after
talking to the man, and I *know* that he's talking about my work, I
haven't the faintest idea who he is or what his machine looks like. And
he says it's been less than a year.

I managed to hide the fact that I had no idea what he was talking about,
<g>. As my cousin, the Waterbed Wizard, used to say, (may he R.I.P):
"Never say 'Oops!' Makes the customer nervous!" Believe me, that's a
hard thing to train yourself not to do.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> That'd be Brian and Hugh....I am not in this thread. (Well, now I
am).

> ...glen

> > Well, first be sure to try Glen and Hugh's suggestions. Glen's goes
> > farther than Hugh's does, and I would go even a bit further. Boot
into
> > Safe Mode (*must* be Safe Mode), go into Device Manager, remove ALL
> > drives and ALL controllers (except the FIFOs, which won't let
themselves
> > be removed.) Also remove the device in the System section called
"PCI
> > Bus". Restart and let Windows reinstall everything. Will take one
more
> > restart in the middle of the installations.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Gary,
> > >
> > > Unfortunatley I had to switch it back to burner as master, cdrom
as
> > slave
> > > because my burner software and media player would not recognize
the
> > burner
> > > when it is set as slave. I guess I'll have to buy that PCI device
you
> > > mentioned since I cannot return the new drive. I guess thats what
> > get for
> > > buying a cheap drive!
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Brian

> > still

> > the
Hopefully
> > this
I'll
> > leave
> > thanks!

I can't say for sure I am out. Soon I must do that devastation myself in
Device Manager. After all, I've just refreshed my full system backup.
Others might...

http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version

Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
report/two.

--
| That's your prerogative. There is nothing wrong with the OP trying my
| suggestion.
|
| How'd you get out anyway? Do they know your AWOL?
|
| --
|
| Brian A.
|
| Conflicts start where information lacks.
| http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

| >I would leave it to Terhune to suggest a total devastation of
| > drivers/controllers in Safe Mode. Usually he does it better!
| >
| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
| > | Boot to Safe Mode and remove any/all drives/controllers in Device
| > Manager.
| > | Reboot and Windows will redetect/reinstall the
controllers/drivers.
| > |
| > | --
| > |
| > | Brian A.
| > |
| > | Conflicts start where information lacks.
| > | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > |
| > |
| > | "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > VERY
| > when
| > secondary
| > setup
| > |

YOU GUYS TOTALLY SCREWED ME UP! I REMOVED ALL THE DEVICES IN SAFE MODE AS YOU
SUGGESTED, NOW MANY WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY REINSTALL AND THE HARD DRIVE IS
WORKING FEVERISHLY AND NOT DOING MUCH. I SPENT MOST OF TODAY TRYING TO
RECOVER IT. THE DEVICE DRIVER BACKUP TOOL YOU SUGGESTED I USED DIDN'T WORK
EITHER!! i GOING TO LET IT SIT AND HOPE THAT IT RECOVERS ENOUGH SO I CAN TRY
TO GET EVERYTHING BACK AS IT WAS. YOU GUYS SUGGEST ALL THESE "QUICK FIXES"
AND THEY CAUSE MANY MORE PROBLEMS THAN I STARTED WITH!

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Well, first be sure to try Glen and Hugh's suggestions. Glen's goes
> farther than Hugh's does, and I would go even a bit further. Boot into
> Safe Mode (*must* be Safe Mode), go into Device Manager, remove ALL
> drives and ALL controllers (except the FIFOs, which won't let themselves
> be removed.) Also remove the device in the System section called "PCI
> Bus". Restart and let Windows reinstall everything. Will take one more
> restart in the middle of the installations.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Gary,
> >
> > Unfortunatley I had to switch it back to burner as master, cdrom as
> slave
> > because my burner software and media player would not recognize the
> burner
> > when it is set as slave. I guess I'll have to buy that PCI device you
> > mentioned since I cannot return the new drive. I guess thats what I
> get for
> > buying a cheap drive!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> > > Well, I always suggest putting the burner as Master, and I have
> > > first-hand experience with burning too many coasters when it's the
> > > slave. Personally, I'd consider trading that new drive in if you
> still
> > > can. I have 56x drives as slaves and it doesn't seem to affect their
> > > performance. Or, if you have a spare PCI slot, get a plug-in IDE
> > > controller. (Or, if you have firewire or USB2, get a Sony DRX 510UL,
> > > <eg>.)
> > >
> > > Then again, perhaps your burner will have no problems.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS MVP Shell/User
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> > >
> > > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> the
> > > problem
> this
> > > doesn't
> > > that I
> leave
> > > it and
> thanks!

> > > have

AS I MENTIONED, THE HARD DRIVE IS WORKING RAPIDLY BUT QUIETLY, BUT AS OF NOW,
THERE ARE NO DRIVERS LISTED IN THE DEVICE MANAGER AT ALL EXCEPT "COMPUTER"! i
THOUGHT THEY WERE ALL SUPPOSED TO REINSTALL? hOPEFULLY THAT'S WHAT IT'S DOING
BUT ITS AWFULLY SLOW.

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Well, first be sure to try Glen and Hugh's suggestions. Glen's goes
> farther than Hugh's does, and I would go even a bit further. Boot into
> Safe Mode (*must* be Safe Mode), go into Device Manager, remove ALL
> drives and ALL controllers (except the FIFOs, which won't let themselves
> be removed.) Also remove the device in the System section called "PCI
> Bus". Restart and let Windows reinstall everything. Will take one more
> restart in the middle of the installations.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Gary,
> >
> > Unfortunatley I had to switch it back to burner as master, cdrom as
> slave
> > because my burner software and media player would not recognize the
> burner
> > when it is set as slave. I guess I'll have to buy that PCI device you
> > mentioned since I cannot return the new drive. I guess thats what I
> get for
> > buying a cheap drive!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> > > Well, I always suggest putting the burner as Master, and I have
> > > first-hand experience with burning too many coasters when it's the
> > > slave. Personally, I'd consider trading that new drive in if you
> still
> > > can. I have 56x drives as slaves and it doesn't seem to affect their
> > > performance. Or, if you have a spare PCI slot, get a plug-in IDE
> > > controller. (Or, if you have firewire or USB2, get a Sony DRX 510UL,
> > > <eg>.)
> > >
> > > Then again, perhaps your burner will have no problems.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS MVP Shell/User
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> > >
> > > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> the
> > > problem
> this
> > > doesn't
> > > that I
> leave
> > > it and
> thanks!

> > > have

Nobody told you to delete ALL devices in Device Manager, though with the
exception of the Display Driver, that shouldn't have been a problem,
either. I also insisted that you do this procedure in Safe Mode. Did
you?

If you followed my instructions to the letter, then all I can say is
that I've *never* seen any problems from this procedure, and I've done
it hundreds of times. There's always a first time, of course, but if you
really did what I suggested, and *only* what I suggested, then the
symptoms are that your system is flaking out or that you have something
seriously wrong with the way your drives are connected and configured.
Frankly, my guess is that your system is simply flaking out at the
hardware level. Bad RAM, bad motherboard, seriously nasty virus,
something.

And what, pray tell, is this about a drivers backup tool? I don't see
anywhere where I or anyone else says anything about a "drivers backup
tool".

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> YOU GUYS TOTALLY SCREWED ME UP! I REMOVED ALL THE DEVICES IN SAFE MODE
AS YOU
> SUGGESTED, NOW MANY WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY REINSTALL AND THE HARD
DRIVE IS
> WORKING FEVERISHLY AND NOT DOING MUCH. I SPENT MOST OF TODAY TRYING TO
> RECOVER IT. THE DEVICE DRIVER BACKUP TOOL YOU SUGGESTED I USED DIDN'T
WORK
> EITHER!! i GOING TO LET IT SIT AND HOPE THAT IT RECOVERS ENOUGH SO I
CAN TRY
> TO GET EVERYTHING BACK AS IT WAS. YOU GUYS SUGGEST ALL THESE "QUICK
FIXES"
> AND THEY CAUSE MANY MORE PROBLEMS THAN I STARTED WITH!
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > Well, first be sure to try Glen and Hugh's suggestions. Glen's goes
> > farther than Hugh's does, and I would go even a bit further. Boot
into
> > Safe Mode (*must* be Safe Mode), go into Device Manager, remove ALL
> > drives and ALL controllers (except the FIFOs, which won't let
themselves
> > be removed.) Also remove the device in the System section called
"PCI
> > Bus". Restart and let Windows reinstall everything. Will take one
more
> > restart in the middle of the installations.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Gary,
> > >
> > > Unfortunatley I had to switch it back to burner as master, cdrom
as
> > slave
> > > because my burner software and media player would not recognize
the
> > burner
> > > when it is set as slave. I guess I'll have to buy that PCI device
you
> > > mentioned since I cannot return the new drive. I guess thats what
> > get for
> > > buying a cheap drive!
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Brian

> > still

> > the
Hopefully
> > this
I'll
> > leave
> > thanks!

Boot to DOS Mode by accessing the boot menu at startup and selecting Command Prompt
Only (you get to the boot menu the same way you get to it when you selected Safe
Mode).
At the DOS Prompt, type:
scanreg /restore
and press Enter.
Select one of the backups (rb###.cab files) dated JUST prior to when you removed
everything in Safe Mode. That will restore the Registry to its previous state, and
should bring back your original Enum key, which is from where the Device Manager
reads its info.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> YOU GUYS TOTALLY SCREWED ME UP! I REMOVED ALL THE DEVICES IN SAFE MODE AS YOU
> SUGGESTED, NOW MANY WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY REINSTALL AND THE HARD DRIVE IS
> WORKING FEVERISHLY AND NOT DOING MUCH. I SPENT MOST OF TODAY TRYING TO
> RECOVER IT. THE DEVICE DRIVER BACKUP TOOL YOU SUGGESTED I USED DIDN'T WORK
> EITHER!! i GOING TO LET IT SIT AND HOPE THAT IT RECOVERS ENOUGH SO I CAN TRY
> TO GET EVERYTHING BACK AS IT WAS. YOU GUYS SUGGEST ALL THESE "QUICK FIXES"
> AND THEY CAUSE MANY MORE PROBLEMS THAN I STARTED WITH!
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > Well, first be sure to try Glen and Hugh's suggestions. Glen's goes
> > farther than Hugh's does, and I would go even a bit further. Boot into
> > Safe Mode (*must* be Safe Mode), go into Device Manager, remove ALL
> > drives and ALL controllers (except the FIFOs, which won't let themselves
> > be removed.) Also remove the device in the System section called "PCI
> > Bus". Restart and let Windows reinstall everything. Will take one more
> > restart in the middle of the installations.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Gary,
> > >
> > > Unfortunatley I had to switch it back to burner as master, cdrom as
> > slave
> > > because my burner software and media player would not recognize the
> > burner
> > > when it is set as slave. I guess I'll have to buy that PCI device you
> > > mentioned since I cannot return the new drive. I guess thats what I
> > get for
> > > buying a cheap drive!
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Brian

> > still

> > the
> > this
> > leave
> > thanks!

Oh, good. You've taken care of it. After my last response, (I've got a
cold and had just woken up from a nap) as I was getting some tea, I
realized I needed to suggest a course of action. Thanks for taking care
of it, Glen.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Boot to DOS Mode by accessing the boot menu at startup and selecting
Command Prompt
> Only (you get to the boot menu the same way you get to it when you
selected Safe
> Mode).
> At the DOS Prompt, type:
> scanreg /restore
> and press Enter.
> Select one of the backups (rb###.cab files) dated JUST prior to when
you removed
> everything in Safe Mode. That will restore the Registry to its
previous state, and
> should bring back your original Enum key, which is from where the
Device Manager
> reads its info.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > YOU GUYS TOTALLY SCREWED ME UP! I REMOVED ALL THE DEVICES IN SAFE
MODE AS YOU
> > SUGGESTED, NOW MANY WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY REINSTALL AND THE HARD
DRIVE IS
> > WORKING FEVERISHLY AND NOT DOING MUCH. I SPENT MOST OF TODAY TRYING
> > RECOVER IT. THE DEVICE DRIVER BACKUP TOOL YOU SUGGESTED I USED
DIDN'T WORK
> > EITHER!! i GOING TO LET IT SIT AND HOPE THAT IT RECOVERS ENOUGH SO I
CAN TRY
> > TO GET EVERYTHING BACK AS IT WAS. YOU GUYS SUGGEST ALL THESE "QUICK
FIXES"
> > AND THEY CAUSE MANY MORE PROBLEMS THAN I STARTED WITH!
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> > > Well, first be sure to try Glen and Hugh's suggestions. Glen's
goes
> > > farther than Hugh's does, and I would go even a bit further. Boot
into
> > > Safe Mode (*must* be Safe Mode), go into Device Manager, remove
ALL
> > > drives and ALL controllers (except the FIFOs, which won't let
themselves
> > > be removed.) Also remove the device in the System section called
"PCI
> > > Bus". Restart and let Windows reinstall everything. Will take one
more
> > > restart in the middle of the installations.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS MVP Shell/User
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> > >
> > > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > slave
> > > burner
> > > get for

> > > still
IDE

> > > the
Hopefully
> > > this
I'll
> > > leave
> > > thanks!

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out what might be wrong. Still trying
to figure out what's meant by "drivers backup tool".

--
> [...]

> > TO GET EVERYTHING BACK AS IT WAS. YOU GUYS SUGGEST ALL THESE "QUICK
FIXES"
> > AND THEY CAUSE MANY MORE PROBLEMS THAN I STARTED WITH!
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> > > Well, first be sure to try Glen and Hugh's suggestions. Glen's
goes
> > > farther than Hugh's does, and I would go even a bit further. Boot
into
> > > Safe Mode (*must* be Safe Mode), go into Device Manager, remove
ALL
> > > drives and ALL controllers (except the FIFOs, which won't let
themselves
> > > be removed.) Also remove the device in the System section called
"PCI
> > > Bus". Restart and let Windows reinstall everything. Will take one
more
> > > restart in the middle of the installations.

Added in the thread by one of your plonked posters, PCR.
<quote>
I can't say for sure I am out. Soon I must do that devastation myself in
Device Manager. After all, I've just refreshed my full system backup.
Others might...

http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version

Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
report/two.
</quote>

--

> Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out what might be wrong. Still trying
> to figure out what's meant by "drivers backup tool".
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User

>> Boot to DOS Mode by accessing the boot menu at startup and selecting
> Command Prompt
>> Only (you get to the boot menu the same way you get to it when you
> selected Safe
>> Mode).
>> At the DOS Prompt, type:
>> scanreg /restore
>> and press Enter.
>> Select one of the backups (rb###.cab files) dated JUST prior to when
> you removed
>> everything in Safe Mode. That will restore the Registry to its
> previous state, and
>> should bring back your original Enum key, which is from where the
> Device Manager
>> reads its info.
>> --
>> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > YOU GUYS TOTALLY SCREWED ME UP! I REMOVED ALL THE DEVICES IN SAFE
> MODE AS YOU
>> > SUGGESTED, NOW MANY WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY REINSTALL AND THE HARD
> DRIVE IS
>> > WORKING FEVERISHLY AND NOT DOING MUCH. I SPENT MOST OF TODAY TRYING
>> > RECOVER IT. THE DEVICE DRIVER BACKUP TOOL YOU SUGGESTED I USED
> DIDN'T WORK
>> > EITHER!! i GOING TO LET IT SIT AND HOPE THAT IT RECOVERS ENOUGH SO I
> CAN TRY
>> > TO GET EVERYTHING BACK AS IT WAS. YOU GUYS SUGGEST ALL THESE "QUICK
> FIXES"
>> > AND THEY CAUSE MANY MORE PROBLEMS THAN I STARTED WITH!

> goes
> into
> ALL
> themselves
> "PCI
> more

> as
> the
> device you
> what I

> have
> the
> you
> their
> IDE
> 510UL,

> corrected
> Hopefully
> suggest
> I'll
> fixed.

> it as
> do you

Suspected that was the case. Thanks. Without knowing exactly what Brian
(OP) did, it's hard to come to any conclusions, but flaky hardware seems
high on the list.

--

> [...]
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> >> Boot to DOS Mode by accessing the boot menu at startup and
selecting
> > Command Prompt
> >> Only (you get to the boot menu the same way you get to it when you
> > selected Safe
> >> Mode).
> >> At the DOS Prompt, type:
> >> scanreg /restore
> >> and press Enter.
> >> Select one of the backups (rb###.cab files) dated JUST prior to
when
> > you removed
> >> everything in Safe Mode. That will restore the Registry to its
> > previous state, and
> >> should bring back your original Enum key, which is from where the

If only it works.......

....glen