Windows slow to boot up after installing new CD Rom

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 20, 2005 12:47:03 PM

I replaced my slower CD rOm with a 56x drive recently. Now my PC is VERY slow
to boot up. I know it has something to do with the new drvie because when I
take the IDE cable off, it boots normally. I have it set as the secondary
slave to my CD burner which is set to secondary master--this is the setup I
used witht the old drvie too. Any ideas?
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 4:58:49 PM

obvious Q cdrom is set on the sec slave cable, but is the jumper on the cd
drive set to slave

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
_

"bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I replaced my slower CD rOm with a 56x drive recently. Now my PC is VERY
slow
> to boot up. I know it has something to do with the new drvie because when
> take the IDE cable off, it boots normally. I have it set as the secondary
> slave to my CD burner which is set to secondary master--this is the setup
> used witht the old drvie too. Any ideas?
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 4:58:50 PM

Yes it is.

"AlmostBob" wrote:

> obvious Q cdrom is set on the sec slave cable, but is the jumper on the cd
> drive set to slave
>
> --
> Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> spybot http://security.kolla.de
> AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> Catalog of removal tools (1)
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> Catalog of removal tools (2)
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral....
> Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use
>
> Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
> _
>

> "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I replaced my slower CD rOm with a 56x drive recently. Now my PC is VERY
> slow
> > to boot up. I know it has something to do with the new drvie because when
> > take the IDE cable off, it boots normally. I have it set as the secondary
> > slave to my CD burner which is set to secondary master--this is the setup
> > used witht the old drvie too. Any ideas?

February 20, 2005 4:58:51 PM

What do you have as Primary Slave, anything? I'd also test it as
Secondary Master to see if that actually helps. Also, how do you have
the BIOS set? All IDE channels on Auto, or what?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Yes it is.
>
> "AlmostBob" wrote:
>
> > obvious Q cdrom is set on the sec slave cable, but is the jumper on
the cd
> > drive set to slave
> >
> > --
> > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> > spybot http://security.kolla.de
> > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> > Catalog of removal tools (1)
> > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> > Catalog of removal tools (2)

http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral....
> > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
before use

> > Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
> > _
> >

> > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I replaced my slower CD rOm with a 56x drive recently. Now my PC
is VERY
> > slow
> > > to boot up. I know it has something to do with the new drvie
because when
> > > take the IDE cable off, it boots normally. I have it set as the
secondary
> > > slave to my CD burner which is set to secondary master--this is
the setup
> > > used witht the old drvie too. Any ideas?

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 4:58:52 PM

Gary,

All IDEs are set to auto in the Bios. It does seem to corrected the problem
if I switch the burner to slave and the CD to master. Hopefully this doesn't
create other problems. The manual for the burner says they suggest that I
have the burner as master--but not required. Not sure why. I'll leave it and
see what happens. If no problems, then I'll consider it fixed. thanks!

Brian

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> What do you have as Primary Slave, anything? I'd also test it as
> Secondary Master to see if that actually helps. Also, how do you have
> the BIOS set? All IDE channels on Auto, or what?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes it is.
> >
> > "AlmostBob" wrote:
> >
> > > obvious Q cdrom is set on the sec slave cable, but is the jumper on
> the cd
> > > drive set to slave
> > >
> > > --
> > > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
> > > spybot http://security.kolla.de
> > > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
> > > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
> > > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
> > > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
> > > Catalog of removal tools (1)
> > > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
> > > Catalog of removal tools (2)
> > >
> http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral....
> > > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
> > > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
> > > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages
> before use
> > >
> > > Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
> > > _
> > >

> > > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> is VERY
> > > slow
> because when
> secondary
> the setup

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 5:25:53 PM

Well, I always suggest putting the burner as Master, and I have
first-hand experience with burning too many coasters when it's the
slave. Personally, I'd consider trading that new drive in if you still
can. I have 56x drives as slaves and it doesn't seem to affect their
performance. Or, if you have a spare PCI slot, get a plug-in IDE
controller. (Or, if you have firewire or USB2, get a Sony DRX 510UL,
<eg>.)

Then again, perhaps your burner will have no problems.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Gary,
>
> All IDEs are set to auto in the Bios. It does seem to corrected the
problem
> if I switch the burner to slave and the CD to master. Hopefully this
doesn't
> create other problems. The manual for the burner says they suggest
that I
> have the burner as master--but not required. Not sure why. I'll leave
it and
> see what happens. If no problems, then I'll consider it fixed. thanks!
>
> Brian
>

> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > What do you have as Primary Slave, anything? I'd also test it as
> > Secondary Master to see if that actually helps. Also, how do you
have
> > the BIOS set? All IDE channels on Auto, or what?
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User

February 20, 2005 5:28:45 PM

Boot to Safe Mode and remove any/all drives/controllers in Device Manager.
Reboot and Windows will redetect/reinstall the controllers/drivers.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I replaced my slower CD rOm with a 56x drive recently. Now my PC is VERY
>slow
> to boot up. I know it has something to do with the new drvie because when
> take the IDE cable off, it boots normally. I have it set as the secondary
> slave to my CD burner which is set to secondary master--this is the setup
> used witht the old drvie too. Any ideas?
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 5:37:02 PM

Good idea! Why didn't I think of that?

(Because my brain is mush today, perhaps? I'd go back to bed, but these
dreams I've been having leave me feeling like I've lived two years in
under two hours! What I get for going on the Einstein sleep schedule.)

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> Boot to Safe Mode and remove any/all drives/controllers in Device
Manager.
> Reboot and Windows will redetect/reinstall the controllers/drivers.
>
> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I replaced my slower CD rOm with a 56x drive recently. Now my PC is
VERY
> >slow
> > to boot up. I know it has something to do with the new drvie because
when
> > take the IDE cable off, it boots normally. I have it set as the
secondary
> > slave to my CD burner which is set to secondary master--this is the
setup
> > used witht the old drvie too. Any ideas?

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 9:32:08 PM

I would leave it to Terhune to suggest a total devastation of
drivers/controllers in Safe Mode. Usually he does it better!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
| Boot to Safe Mode and remove any/all drives/controllers in Device
Manager.
| Reboot and Windows will redetect/reinstall the controllers/drivers.
|
| --
|
| Brian A.
|
| Conflicts start where information lacks.
| http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
|

| "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| >I replaced my slower CD rOm with a 56x drive recently. Now my PC is
VERY
| >slow
| > to boot up. I know it has something to do with the new drvie because
when
| > take the IDE cable off, it boots normally. I have it set as the
secondary
| > slave to my CD burner which is set to secondary master--this is the
setup
| > used witht the old drvie too. Any ideas?

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 9:32:09 PM

That's your prerogative. There is nothing wrong with the OP trying my
suggestion.

How'd you get out anyway? Do they know your AWOL?

--

>I would leave it to Terhune to suggest a total devastation of
> drivers/controllers in Safe Mode. Usually he does it better!
>
> --
> Thanks or Good Luck,
> There may be humor in this post, and,
> Naturally, you will not sue,
> should things get worse after this,
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> | Boot to Safe Mode and remove any/all drives/controllers in Device
> Manager.
> | Reboot and Windows will redetect/reinstall the controllers/drivers.
> |
> | --
> |
> | Brian A.
> |
> | Conflicts start where information lacks.
> | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> |

> | "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | >I replaced my slower CD rOm with a 56x drive recently. Now my PC is
> VERY
> | >slow
> | > to boot up. I know it has something to do with the new drvie because
> when
> | > take the IDE cable off, it boots normally. I have it set as the
> secondary
> | > slave to my CD burner which is set to secondary master--this is the
> setup
> | > used witht the old drvie too. Any ideas?

Anonymous
February 20, 2005 10:40:50 PM

"bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I replaced my slower CD rOm with a 56x drive recently. Now my PC is VERY
slow
> to boot up. I know it has something to do with the new drvie because when
> take the IDE cable off, it boots normally. I have it set as the secondary
> slave to my CD burner which is set to secondary master--this is the setup
> used witht the old drvie too. Any ideas?

Boot into Safe Mode.

Press and hold a Windows key and press the Pause key

Click on Device Manager

Click the + sign on the CDROM tree

If the old CDROM drive is still listed,
highlight it and click Remove
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 11:59:01 PM

Gary,

Unfortunatley I had to switch it back to burner as master, cdrom as slave
because my burner software and media player would not recognize the burner
when it is set as slave. I guess I'll have to buy that PCI device you
mentioned since I cannot return the new drive. I guess thats what I get for
buying a cheap drive!

Thanks,
Brian

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Well, I always suggest putting the burner as Master, and I have
> first-hand experience with burning too many coasters when it's the
> slave. Personally, I'd consider trading that new drive in if you still
> can. I have 56x drives as slaves and it doesn't seem to affect their
> performance. Or, if you have a spare PCI slot, get a plug-in IDE
> controller. (Or, if you have firewire or USB2, get a Sony DRX 510UL,
> <eg>.)
>
> Then again, perhaps your burner will have no problems.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Gary,
> >
> > All IDEs are set to auto in the Bios. It does seem to corrected the
> problem
> > if I switch the burner to slave and the CD to master. Hopefully this
> doesn't
> > create other problems. The manual for the burner says they suggest
> that I
> > have the burner as master--but not required. Not sure why. I'll leave
> it and
> > see what happens. If no problems, then I'll consider it fixed. thanks!
> >
> > Brian
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> > > What do you have as Primary Slave, anything? I'd also test it as
> > > Secondary Master to see if that actually helps. Also, how do you
> have
> > > the BIOS set? All IDE channels on Auto, or what?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS MVP Shell/User
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 12:26:27 AM

Well, first be sure to try Glen and Hugh's suggestions. Glen's goes
farther than Hugh's does, and I would go even a bit further. Boot into
Safe Mode (*must* be Safe Mode), go into Device Manager, remove ALL
drives and ALL controllers (except the FIFOs, which won't let themselves
be removed.) Also remove the device in the System section called "PCI
Bus". Restart and let Windows reinstall everything. Will take one more
restart in the middle of the installations.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> Gary,
>
> Unfortunatley I had to switch it back to burner as master, cdrom as
slave
> because my burner software and media player would not recognize the
burner
> when it is set as slave. I guess I'll have to buy that PCI device you
> mentioned since I cannot return the new drive. I guess thats what I
get for
> buying a cheap drive!
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
>

> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > Well, I always suggest putting the burner as Master, and I have
> > first-hand experience with burning too many coasters when it's the
> > slave. Personally, I'd consider trading that new drive in if you
still
> > can. I have 56x drives as slaves and it doesn't seem to affect their
> > performance. Or, if you have a spare PCI slot, get a plug-in IDE
> > controller. (Or, if you have firewire or USB2, get a Sony DRX 510UL,
> > <eg>.)
> >
> > Then again, perhaps your burner will have no problems.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Gary,
> > >
> > > All IDEs are set to auto in the Bios. It does seem to corrected
the
> > problem
> > > if I switch the burner to slave and the CD to master. Hopefully
this
> > doesn't
> > > create other problems. The manual for the burner says they suggest
> > that I
> > > have the burner as master--but not required. Not sure why. I'll
leave
> > it and
> > > see what happens. If no problems, then I'll consider it fixed.
thanks!

> > > Brian

> > have

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 4:00:03 AM

That'd be Brian and Hugh....I am not in this thread. (Well, now I am).

....glen

> Well, first be sure to try Glen and Hugh's suggestions. Glen's goes
> farther than Hugh's does, and I would go even a bit further. Boot into
> Safe Mode (*must* be Safe Mode), go into Device Manager, remove ALL
> drives and ALL controllers (except the FIFOs, which won't let themselves
> be removed.) Also remove the device in the System section called "PCI
> Bus". Restart and let Windows reinstall everything. Will take one more
> restart in the middle of the installations.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Gary,
> >
> > Unfortunatley I had to switch it back to burner as master, cdrom as
> slave
> > because my burner software and media player would not recognize the
> burner
> > when it is set as slave. I guess I'll have to buy that PCI device you
> > mentioned since I cannot return the new drive. I guess thats what I
> get for
> > buying a cheap drive!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> > > Well, I always suggest putting the burner as Master, and I have
> > > first-hand experience with burning too many coasters when it's the
> > > slave. Personally, I'd consider trading that new drive in if you
> still
> > > can. I have 56x drives as slaves and it doesn't seem to affect their
> > > performance. Or, if you have a spare PCI slot, get a plug-in IDE
> > > controller. (Or, if you have firewire or USB2, get a Sony DRX 510UL,
> > > <eg>.)
> > >
> > > Then again, perhaps your burner will have no problems.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS MVP Shell/User
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> > >
> > > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> the
> > > problem
> this
> > > doesn't
> > > that I
> leave
> > > it and
> thanks!

> > > have

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 4:00:04 AM

Shoot! Have I told you my memory is shot? Woke up from a nap this
evening, wife says, "You got a call from a client." Only, even after
talking to the man, and I *know* that he's talking about my work, I
haven't the faintest idea who he is or what his machine looks like. And
he says it's been less than a year.

I managed to hide the fact that I had no idea what he was talking about,
<g>. As my cousin, the Waterbed Wizard, used to say, (may he R.I.P):
"Never say 'Oops!' Makes the customer nervous!" Believe me, that's a
hard thing to train yourself not to do.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> That'd be Brian and Hugh....I am not in this thread. (Well, now I
am).

> ...glen

> > Well, first be sure to try Glen and Hugh's suggestions. Glen's goes
> > farther than Hugh's does, and I would go even a bit further. Boot
into
> > Safe Mode (*must* be Safe Mode), go into Device Manager, remove ALL
> > drives and ALL controllers (except the FIFOs, which won't let
themselves
> > be removed.) Also remove the device in the System section called
"PCI
> > Bus". Restart and let Windows reinstall everything. Will take one
more
> > restart in the middle of the installations.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Gary,
> > >
> > > Unfortunatley I had to switch it back to burner as master, cdrom
as
> > slave
> > > because my burner software and media player would not recognize
the
> > burner
> > > when it is set as slave. I guess I'll have to buy that PCI device
you
> > > mentioned since I cannot return the new drive. I guess thats what
> > get for
> > > buying a cheap drive!
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Brian

> > still

> > the
Hopefully
> > this
I'll
> > leave
> > thanks!

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 4:07:06 AM

I can't say for sure I am out. Soon I must do that devastation myself in
Device Manager. After all, I've just refreshed my full system backup.
Others might...

http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version

Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
report/two.

--
| That's your prerogative. There is nothing wrong with the OP trying my
| suggestion.
|
| How'd you get out anyway? Do they know your AWOL?
|
| --
|
| Brian A.
|
| Conflicts start where information lacks.
| http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

| >I would leave it to Terhune to suggest a total devastation of
| > drivers/controllers in Safe Mode. Usually he does it better!
| >
| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
| > | Boot to Safe Mode and remove any/all drives/controllers in Device
| > Manager.
| > | Reboot and Windows will redetect/reinstall the
controllers/drivers.
| > |
| > | --
| > |
| > | Brian A.
| > |
| > | Conflicts start where information lacks.
| > | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > |
| > |
| > | "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > VERY
| > when
| > secondary
| > setup
| > |

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 7:59:01 PM

YOU GUYS TOTALLY SCREWED ME UP! I REMOVED ALL THE DEVICES IN SAFE MODE AS YOU
SUGGESTED, NOW MANY WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY REINSTALL AND THE HARD DRIVE IS
WORKING FEVERISHLY AND NOT DOING MUCH. I SPENT MOST OF TODAY TRYING TO
RECOVER IT. THE DEVICE DRIVER BACKUP TOOL YOU SUGGESTED I USED DIDN'T WORK
EITHER!! i GOING TO LET IT SIT AND HOPE THAT IT RECOVERS ENOUGH SO I CAN TRY
TO GET EVERYTHING BACK AS IT WAS. YOU GUYS SUGGEST ALL THESE "QUICK FIXES"
AND THEY CAUSE MANY MORE PROBLEMS THAN I STARTED WITH!

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Well, first be sure to try Glen and Hugh's suggestions. Glen's goes
> farther than Hugh's does, and I would go even a bit further. Boot into
> Safe Mode (*must* be Safe Mode), go into Device Manager, remove ALL
> drives and ALL controllers (except the FIFOs, which won't let themselves
> be removed.) Also remove the device in the System section called "PCI
> Bus". Restart and let Windows reinstall everything. Will take one more
> restart in the middle of the installations.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Gary,
> >
> > Unfortunatley I had to switch it back to burner as master, cdrom as
> slave
> > because my burner software and media player would not recognize the
> burner
> > when it is set as slave. I guess I'll have to buy that PCI device you
> > mentioned since I cannot return the new drive. I guess thats what I
> get for
> > buying a cheap drive!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> > > Well, I always suggest putting the burner as Master, and I have
> > > first-hand experience with burning too many coasters when it's the
> > > slave. Personally, I'd consider trading that new drive in if you
> still
> > > can. I have 56x drives as slaves and it doesn't seem to affect their
> > > performance. Or, if you have a spare PCI slot, get a plug-in IDE
> > > controller. (Or, if you have firewire or USB2, get a Sony DRX 510UL,
> > > <eg>.)
> > >
> > > Then again, perhaps your burner will have no problems.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS MVP Shell/User
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> > >
> > > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> the
> > > problem
> this
> > > doesn't
> > > that I
> leave
> > > it and
> thanks!

> > > have

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 8:17:02 PM

AS I MENTIONED, THE HARD DRIVE IS WORKING RAPIDLY BUT QUIETLY, BUT AS OF NOW,
THERE ARE NO DRIVERS LISTED IN THE DEVICE MANAGER AT ALL EXCEPT "COMPUTER"! i
THOUGHT THEY WERE ALL SUPPOSED TO REINSTALL? hOPEFULLY THAT'S WHAT IT'S DOING
BUT ITS AWFULLY SLOW.

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Well, first be sure to try Glen and Hugh's suggestions. Glen's goes
> farther than Hugh's does, and I would go even a bit further. Boot into
> Safe Mode (*must* be Safe Mode), go into Device Manager, remove ALL
> drives and ALL controllers (except the FIFOs, which won't let themselves
> be removed.) Also remove the device in the System section called "PCI
> Bus". Restart and let Windows reinstall everything. Will take one more
> restart in the middle of the installations.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Gary,
> >
> > Unfortunatley I had to switch it back to burner as master, cdrom as
> slave
> > because my burner software and media player would not recognize the
> burner
> > when it is set as slave. I guess I'll have to buy that PCI device you
> > mentioned since I cannot return the new drive. I guess thats what I
> get for
> > buying a cheap drive!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Brian
> >

> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> > > Well, I always suggest putting the burner as Master, and I have
> > > first-hand experience with burning too many coasters when it's the
> > > slave. Personally, I'd consider trading that new drive in if you
> still
> > > can. I have 56x drives as slaves and it doesn't seem to affect their
> > > performance. Or, if you have a spare PCI slot, get a plug-in IDE
> > > controller. (Or, if you have firewire or USB2, get a Sony DRX 510UL,
> > > <eg>.)
> > >
> > > Then again, perhaps your burner will have no problems.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Gary S. Terhune
> > > MS MVP Shell/User
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
> > > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
> > >
> > > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> the
> > > problem
> this
> > > doesn't
> > > that I
> leave
> > > it and
> thanks!

> > > have

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 10:43:20 PM

Nobody told you to delete ALL devices in Device Manager, though with the
exception of the Display Driver, that shouldn't have been a problem,
either. I also insisted that you do this procedure in Safe Mode. Did
you?

If you followed my instructions to the letter, then all I can say is
that I've *never* seen any problems from this procedure, and I've done
it hundreds of times. There's always a first time, of course, but if you
really did what I suggested, and *only* what I suggested, then the
symptoms are that your system is flaking out or that you have something
seriously wrong with the way your drives are connected and configured.
Frankly, my guess is that your system is simply flaking out at the
hardware level. Bad RAM, bad motherboard, seriously nasty virus,
something.

And what, pray tell, is this about a drivers backup tool? I don't see
anywhere where I or anyone else says anything about a "drivers backup
tool".

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> YOU GUYS TOTALLY SCREWED ME UP! I REMOVED ALL THE DEVICES IN SAFE MODE
AS YOU
> SUGGESTED, NOW MANY WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY REINSTALL AND THE HARD
DRIVE IS
> WORKING FEVERISHLY AND NOT DOING MUCH. I SPENT MOST OF TODAY TRYING TO
> RECOVER IT. THE DEVICE DRIVER BACKUP TOOL YOU SUGGESTED I USED DIDN'T
WORK
> EITHER!! i GOING TO LET IT SIT AND HOPE THAT IT RECOVERS ENOUGH SO I
CAN TRY
> TO GET EVERYTHING BACK AS IT WAS. YOU GUYS SUGGEST ALL THESE "QUICK
FIXES"
> AND THEY CAUSE MANY MORE PROBLEMS THAN I STARTED WITH!
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > Well, first be sure to try Glen and Hugh's suggestions. Glen's goes
> > farther than Hugh's does, and I would go even a bit further. Boot
into
> > Safe Mode (*must* be Safe Mode), go into Device Manager, remove ALL
> > drives and ALL controllers (except the FIFOs, which won't let
themselves
> > be removed.) Also remove the device in the System section called
"PCI
> > Bus". Restart and let Windows reinstall everything. Will take one
more
> > restart in the middle of the installations.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Gary,
> > >
> > > Unfortunatley I had to switch it back to burner as master, cdrom
as
> > slave
> > > because my burner software and media player would not recognize
the
> > burner
> > > when it is set as slave. I guess I'll have to buy that PCI device
you
> > > mentioned since I cannot return the new drive. I guess thats what
> > get for
> > > buying a cheap drive!
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Brian

> > still

> > the
Hopefully
> > this
I'll
> > leave
> > thanks!

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 2:12:35 AM

Boot to DOS Mode by accessing the boot menu at startup and selecting Command Prompt
Only (you get to the boot menu the same way you get to it when you selected Safe
Mode).
At the DOS Prompt, type:
scanreg /restore
and press Enter.
Select one of the backups (rb###.cab files) dated JUST prior to when you removed
everything in Safe Mode. That will restore the Registry to its previous state, and
should bring back your original Enum key, which is from where the Device Manager
reads its info.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> YOU GUYS TOTALLY SCREWED ME UP! I REMOVED ALL THE DEVICES IN SAFE MODE AS YOU
> SUGGESTED, NOW MANY WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY REINSTALL AND THE HARD DRIVE IS
> WORKING FEVERISHLY AND NOT DOING MUCH. I SPENT MOST OF TODAY TRYING TO
> RECOVER IT. THE DEVICE DRIVER BACKUP TOOL YOU SUGGESTED I USED DIDN'T WORK
> EITHER!! i GOING TO LET IT SIT AND HOPE THAT IT RECOVERS ENOUGH SO I CAN TRY
> TO GET EVERYTHING BACK AS IT WAS. YOU GUYS SUGGEST ALL THESE "QUICK FIXES"
> AND THEY CAUSE MANY MORE PROBLEMS THAN I STARTED WITH!
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > Well, first be sure to try Glen and Hugh's suggestions. Glen's goes
> > farther than Hugh's does, and I would go even a bit further. Boot into
> > Safe Mode (*must* be Safe Mode), go into Device Manager, remove ALL
> > drives and ALL controllers (except the FIFOs, which won't let themselves
> > be removed.) Also remove the device in the System section called "PCI
> > Bus". Restart and let Windows reinstall everything. Will take one more
> > restart in the middle of the installations.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Gary,
> > >
> > > Unfortunatley I had to switch it back to burner as master, cdrom as
> > slave
> > > because my burner software and media player would not recognize the
> > burner
> > > when it is set as slave. I guess I'll have to buy that PCI device you
> > > mentioned since I cannot return the new drive. I guess thats what I
> > get for
> > > buying a cheap drive!
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Brian

> > still

> > the
> > this
> > leave
> > thanks!

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 2:12:36 AM

Oh, good. You've taken care of it. After my last response, (I've got a
cold and had just woken up from a nap) as I was getting some tea, I
realized I needed to suggest a course of action. Thanks for taking care
of it, Glen.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> [...]
> > TO GET EVERYTHING BACK AS IT WAS. YOU GUYS SUGGEST ALL THESE "QUICK
FIXES"
> > AND THEY CAUSE MANY MORE PROBLEMS THAN I STARTED WITH!
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> > > Well, first be sure to try Glen and Hugh's suggestions. Glen's
goes
> > > farther than Hugh's does, and I would go even a bit further. Boot
into
> > > Safe Mode (*must* be Safe Mode), go into Device Manager, remove
ALL
> > > drives and ALL controllers (except the FIFOs, which won't let
themselves
> > > be removed.) Also remove the device in the System section called
"PCI
> > > Bus". Restart and let Windows reinstall everything. Will take one
more
> > > restart in the middle of the installations.

Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out what might be wrong. Still trying
to figure out what's meant by "drivers backup tool".

--
> [...]

> > TO GET EVERYTHING BACK AS IT WAS. YOU GUYS SUGGEST ALL THESE "QUICK
FIXES"
> > AND THEY CAUSE MANY MORE PROBLEMS THAN I STARTED WITH!
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
> >
> > > Well, first be sure to try Glen and Hugh's suggestions. Glen's
goes
> > > farther than Hugh's does, and I would go even a bit further. Boot
into
> > > Safe Mode (*must* be Safe Mode), go into Device Manager, remove
ALL
> > > drives and ALL controllers (except the FIFOs, which won't let
themselves
> > > be removed.) Also remove the device in the System section called
"PCI
> > > Bus". Restart and let Windows reinstall everything. Will take one
more
> > > restart in the middle of the installations.

February 22, 2005 2:47:34 AM

Added in the thread by one of your plonked posters, PCR.
<quote>
I can't say for sure I am out. Soon I must do that devastation myself in
Device Manager. After all, I've just refreshed my full system backup.
Others might...

http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version

Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
report/two.
</quote>

--

news:o ytEw3JGFHA.3732@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out what might be wrong. Still trying
> to figure out what's meant by "drivers backup tool".
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User

>> Boot to DOS Mode by accessing the boot menu at startup and selecting
> Command Prompt
>> Only (you get to the boot menu the same way you get to it when you
> selected Safe
>> Mode).
>> At the DOS Prompt, type:
>> scanreg /restore
>> and press Enter.
>> Select one of the backups (rb###.cab files) dated JUST prior to when
> you removed
>> everything in Safe Mode. That will restore the Registry to its
> previous state, and
>> should bring back your original Enum key, which is from where the
> Device Manager
>> reads its info.
>> --
>> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > YOU GUYS TOTALLY SCREWED ME UP! I REMOVED ALL THE DEVICES IN SAFE
> MODE AS YOU
>> > SUGGESTED, NOW MANY WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY REINSTALL AND THE HARD
> DRIVE IS
>> > WORKING FEVERISHLY AND NOT DOING MUCH. I SPENT MOST OF TODAY TRYING
>> > RECOVER IT. THE DEVICE DRIVER BACKUP TOOL YOU SUGGESTED I USED
> DIDN'T WORK
>> > EITHER!! i GOING TO LET IT SIT AND HOPE THAT IT RECOVERS ENOUGH SO I
> CAN TRY
>> > TO GET EVERYTHING BACK AS IT WAS. YOU GUYS SUGGEST ALL THESE "QUICK
> FIXES"
>> > AND THEY CAUSE MANY MORE PROBLEMS THAN I STARTED WITH!

> goes
> into
> ALL
> themselves
> "PCI
> more

> as
> the
> device you
> what I

> have
> the
> you
> their
> IDE
> 510UL,

> corrected
> Hopefully
> suggest
> I'll
> fixed.

> it as
> do you

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 2:47:35 AM

Suspected that was the case. Thanks. Without knowing exactly what Brian
(OP) did, it's hard to come to any conclusions, but flaky hardware seems
high on the list.

--

> [...]
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> >> Boot to DOS Mode by accessing the boot menu at startup and
selecting
> > Command Prompt
> >> Only (you get to the boot menu the same way you get to it when you
> > selected Safe
> >> Mode).
> >> At the DOS Prompt, type:
> >> scanreg /restore
> >> and press Enter.
> >> Select one of the backups (rb###.cab files) dated JUST prior to
when
> > you removed
> >> everything in Safe Mode. That will restore the Registry to its
> > previous state, and
> >> should bring back your original Enum key, which is from where the

February 22, 2005 2:52:52 AM

If only it works.......

....glen

> Oh, good. You've taken care of it. After my last response, (I've got a
> cold and had just woken up from a nap) as I was getting some tea, I
> realized I needed to suggest a course of action. Thanks for taking care
> of it, Glen.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User

> > Boot to DOS Mode by accessing the boot menu at startup and selecting
> Command Prompt
> > Only (you get to the boot menu the same way you get to it when you
> selected Safe
> > Mode).
> > At the DOS Prompt, type:
> > scanreg /restore
> > and press Enter.
> > Select one of the backups (rb###.cab files) dated JUST prior to when
> you removed
> > everything in Safe Mode. That will restore the Registry to its
> previous state, and
> > should bring back your original Enum key, which is from where the
> Device Manager
> > reads its info.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >

> > "bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > YOU GUYS TOTALLY SCREWED ME UP! I REMOVED ALL THE DEVICES IN SAFE
> MODE AS YOU
> > > SUGGESTED, NOW MANY WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY REINSTALL AND THE HARD
> DRIVE IS
> > > WORKING FEVERISHLY AND NOT DOING MUCH. I SPENT MOST OF TODAY TRYING
> > > RECOVER IT. THE DEVICE DRIVER BACKUP TOOL YOU SUGGESTED I USED
> DIDN'T WORK
> > > EITHER!! i GOING TO LET IT SIT AND HOPE THAT IT RECOVERS ENOUGH SO I
> CAN TRY
> > > TO GET EVERYTHING BACK AS IT WAS. YOU GUYS SUGGEST ALL THESE "QUICK
> FIXES"
> > > AND THEY CAUSE MANY MORE PROBLEMS THAN I STARTED WITH!

> goes
> into
> ALL
> themselves
> "PCI
> more

> as
> the
> device you
> what I

> have
> the
> you
> their
> IDE
> 510UL,

> corrected
> Hopefully
> suggest
> I'll
> fixed.

> it as
> do you

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 10:00:29 AM

I downloaded one of those utilities PCR mentioned, a while back, and ran it to see
*how* it backed up drivers.....it seemed to only copy driver files, and not deal
with Registry entries at all, making it pretty useless for serious use, IMO. I
dumped it and restored the Registry immediately, as it made so many Registry changes
during its install. I don't recommend them.
--
> [...]

> > to figure out what's meant by "drivers backup tool".
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
> >> Boot to DOS Mode by accessing the boot menu at startup and selecting
> > Command Prompt
> >> Only (you get to the boot menu the same way you get to it when you
> > selected Safe
> >> Mode).
> >> At the DOS Prompt, type:
> >> scanreg /restore
> >> and press Enter.
> >> Select one of the backups (rb###.cab files) dated JUST prior to when
> > you removed
> >> everything in Safe Mode. That will restore the Registry to its
> > previous state, and
> >> should bring back your original Enum key, which is from where the

February 22, 2005 1:46:41 PM

"bgosper" <bgosper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

You just made a complete fool of yourself.

> YOU GUYS TOTALLY SCREWED ME UP!

For the record, "we" did not.

> I REMOVED ALL THE DEVICES IN SAFE MODE AS YOU
> SUGGESTED,

For the record, "we" did not.

> NOW MANY WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY REINSTALL

Then you have a temporary problem which needs to be corrected.
You are no worse off than you were before.
Other than displaying a hostile and insulting attitude
to knowledgable people offering their time to help you.
Did I mention "for free".

> AND THE HARD DRIVE IS
> WORKING FEVERISHLY AND NOT DOING MUCH.

Then you have misconfigured your system in some way.
Nothing less, nothing more, unless your hard drive
is in the midst of a catastrophic failure,
which is no reason for your abusive attitude.

> I SPENT MOST OF TODAY TRYING TO RECOVER IT.

I spent most of today helping people.

> THE DEVICE DRIVER BACKUP TOOL YOU SUGGESTED I USED DIDN'T WORK
> EITHER!!

For the record, "we" did not.

> i GOING TO LET IT SIT AND HOPE THAT IT RECOVERS ENOUGH SO I CAN TRY
> TO GET EVERYTHING BACK AS IT WAS.

If you had a heart attack, would you sit down until it went away?

> YOU GUYS SUGGEST ALL THESE "QUICK FIXES"
> AND THEY CAUSE MANY MORE PROBLEMS THAN I STARTED WITH!

Prove it. Prove to me that your problem was caused by "me"
and I will buy you a new computer.

Otherwise, stop your shouting and childish and unfounded whining
and get back to concentrating on the problem at hand.

The above was posted cooly, calmly and with NO malice aforethought.

I am perfectly willing to continue to help you to resolve your problem,
but I am not willing to do so while you unfairly and improperly
blast away in TOTAL ignorance as to the real cause of your problem.
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 10:21:52 PM

Hmm. That's serious. I've seen a few say good things about...

http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version

BUT, I've never tried it, because my full system backup is always just
15 minutes away. Unless someone drops in-- jane?-- to challenge you, I
must either experiment myself or consider qualifying/dropping the
recommendation. How far back was "a while back"?

Chauvin!? Remember when you tested it!?

--
> [...]
backup.
| > Others might...
| >
| > http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
| > http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
| >
| > Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
| > that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a
favorable
| > report/two.
| > </quote>
| >

| > --
| >
| > Brian A.
| >
| > Conflicts start where information lacks.
| > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| >

| > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > news:o ytEw3JGFHA.3732@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
| > > Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out what might be wrong. Still
trying
| > > to figure out what's meant by "drivers backup tool".

February 23, 2005 12:45:28 AM

Hi, friends,
what the heck is going on here?
who plonked PCR and why?
I've only managed to come in for a few mins here and
there over last week, college and troops have been taxing.
I actually went and downloaded the 'driver-backUp-tool',
worked just fine.
(then again, I am a Utility-Collecting-Nut.......... but it worked)

regards Jane

> Added in the thread by one of your plonked posters, PCR.
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 12:45:29 AM

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
> Hi, friends,
> what the heck is going on here?

The OP is having trouble connecting a CD drive. Also seems to have
difficulties following instructions, but that's not proven, yet.

> who plonked PCR and why?

I did. If you want to know why, ask PCR. I'm sure he's quite familiar
with my reasoning, since I've repeated it on enough occasions.

> I've only managed to come in for a few mins here and
> there over last week, college and troops have been taxing.
> I actually went and downloaded the 'driver-backUp-tool',
> worked just fine.
> (then again, I am a Utility-Collecting-Nut.......... but it worked)

You're sure it worked? You've tested it thoroughly? You know enough
about what drivers do and how they install that you can make a
thoroughly informed judgment on the value of this utility? Myself, while
I've never tried this particular utility, it sounds like many other such
utilities that I *have* tried that back up programs from an installed
machine, claiming that they can then be reinstalled on another machine,
a reinstalled system, etc. None of those utilities does a thorough job
of doing what they claim to do. All of those utilities do, on occasion,
royally screw systems up.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User
February 23, 2005 12:45:29 AM

"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
| Hi, friends,
| what the heck is going on here?
| who plonked PCR and why?

Terhune did, BUT he says I am amiable!

| I've only managed to come in for a few mins here and
| there over last week, college and troops have been taxing.
| I actually went and downloaded the 'driver-backUp-tool',
| worked just fine.
| (then again, I am a Utility-Collecting-Nut.......... but it worked)

Did it seem to make a ton of Registry entries upon install? What does it
promise to be able to do with those drivers? Don't answer here. Go
engage Glee who also tested it.

| regards Jane
|
| > Added in the thread by one of your plonked posters, PCR.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 1:45:10 AM

Why would you ever recommend anything you have never used? That's no
different than sending someone to a turkey shoot only for them to find out
they're the turkey.

--

> [...]
> |
> | "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> | > Added in the thread by one of your plonked posters, PCR.
> | > <quote>
> | > I can't say for sure I am out. Soon I must do that devastation
> myself in
> | > Device Manager. After all, I've just refreshed my full system
> backup.
> | > Others might...
> | >
> | > http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
> | > http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
> | >
> | > Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
> | > that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a
> favorable
> | > report/two.
> | > </quote>
> | >

> | > --
> | >
> | > Brian A.
> | >
> | > Conflicts start where information lacks.

February 23, 2005 1:45:11 AM

ROFLMAO!!

Brian A. wrote:
> Why would you ever recommend anything you have never used? That's no
> different than sending someone to a turkey shoot only for them to find out
> they're the turkey.
>
> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
>> Hmm. That's serious. I've seen a few say good things about...
>>
>> http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
>> http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
>>
>> BUT, I've never tried it, because my full system backup is always just
>> 15 minutes away. Unless someone drops in-- jane?-- to challenge you, I
>> must either experiment myself or consider qualifying/dropping the
>> recommendation. How far back was "a while back"?
>>
>> Chauvin!? Remember when you tested it!?
>>

>> --
>> Thanks or Good Luck,
>> There may be humor in this post, and,
>> Naturally, you will not sue,
>> should things get worse after this,
>> PCR
>> pcrrcp@netzero.net
>> "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
>>> I downloaded one of those utilities PCR mentioned, a while back, and ran
it
>>> to see *how* it backed up drivers.....it seemed to only copy driver
files,
>>> and not deal with Registry entries at all, making it pretty useless for
>>> serious use, IMO. I dumped it and restored the Registry immediately, as
it
>>> made so many Registry changes during its install. I don't recommend
them.
>>> --
>>> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
>>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>>
>>> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message

MODE
SUGGESTED
GUYS
THAN

Will

>> cdrom
>> recognize
>> thats

>> if

>> they
>> why.

>> how

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 1:45:11 AM

Typical behavior for PCR. Armchair tech support.

--

news:o N3huJWGFHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Why would you ever recommend anything you have never used? That's no
> different than sending someone to a turkey shoot only for them to find
out
> they're the turkey.
>
> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
> > Hmm. That's serious. I've seen a few say good things about...
> >
> > http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
> > http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
> >
> > BUT, I've never tried it, because my full system backup is always
just
> > 15 minutes away. Unless someone drops in-- jane?-- to challenge you,
> > must either experiment myself or consider qualifying/dropping the
> > recommendation. How far back was "a while back"?
> >
> > Chauvin!? Remember when you tested it!?
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 7:08:46 PM

The concept is a good one, to get the drivers into a folder in such a
way as to be able to reinstall them. THAT would be great, after an
over-install of Windows, for instance, which may muss .vxd's & such.

I DID say I've never done it, but two/three others did like that
program. I only post sites/programs that I've first gathered from this
NG. There was no objection to that one in the thread I pulled it from.
I've been re-posting it quite a while now, & this is the first I have
seen a discouraging word about it. WELL, actually, although he liked the
app, Chauvin did say it was unable to restore a driver(s) saved (I
think) from one installation & restored to another. Perhaps it was
Registry entries amiss.

So? I guess I'll drop it, if no one comes to it's defense soon.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
news:o N3huJWGFHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| Why would you ever recommend anything you have never used? That's no
| different than sending someone to a turkey shoot only for them to find
out
| they're the turkey.
|
| --
|
| Brian A.
|
| Conflicts start where information lacks.
| http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

| > Hmm. That's serious. I've seen a few say good things about...
| >
| > http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
| > http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
| >
| > BUT, I've never tried it, because my full system backup is always
just
| > 15 minutes away. Unless someone drops in-- jane?-- to challenge you,
| > must either experiment myself or consider qualifying/dropping the
| > recommendation. How far back was "a while back"?
| >
| > Chauvin!? Remember when you tested it!?
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
| > | I downloaded one of those utilities PCR mentioned, a while back,
and
| > ran it to see
| > | *how* it backed up drivers.....it seemed to only copy driver
files,
| > and not deal
| > | with Registry entries at all, making it pretty useless for serious
| > use, IMO. I
| > | dumped it and restored the Registry immediately, as it made so
many
| > Registry changes
| > | during its install. I don't recommend them.
| > | --
| > | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| > | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > |
| > | "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
| > myself in
| > backup.

WinDrvExpert

| > favorable

Still
| > trying

| > selecting
| > you
| > when

IN
| > SAFE
THE
| > HARD
TODAY
| > TRYING
USED
ENOUGH
| > SO I
THESE
| > "QUICK

| > Glen's
| > Boot
| > remove
| > called
| > one

| > message

| > cdrom
| > recognize
PCI
| > thats

| > it's
| > if
| > affect
| > plug-in
Sony
| > DRX

| > message

| > they
| > why.

| > test
Also,
| > how

| > |

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 7:11:10 PM

I'm IN a swivel chair!

--
| Typical behavior for PCR. Armchair tech support.
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS MVP Shell/User
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
|
| "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
| news:o N3huJWGFHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
| > Why would you ever recommend anything you have never used? That's
no
| > different than sending someone to a turkey shoot only for them to
find
| out
| > they're the turkey.
| >
| > --
| >
| > Brian A.
| >
| > Conflicts start where information lacks.
| > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| >

| > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| > > Hmm. That's serious. I've seen a few say good things about...
| > >
| > > http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
| > > http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
| > >
| > > BUT, I've never tried it, because my full system backup is always
| just
| > > 15 minutes away. Unless someone drops in-- jane?-- to challenge
you,
| > > must either experiment myself or consider qualifying/dropping the
| > > recommendation. How far back was "a while back"?
| > >
| > > Chauvin!? Remember when you tested it!?

Anonymous
February 23, 2005 7:13:35 PM

Suddenly, I've seen an unfavorable report & begin to recall one of the
favorable ones was really mixed.

--
news:o TkZdt9FFHA.1456@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
| I can't say for sure I am out. Soon I must do that devastation myself
in
| Device Manager. After all, I've just refreshed my full system backup.
| Others might...
|
| http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
| http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
|
| Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
| that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a
favorable
| report/two.
|

| --
| Thanks or Good Luck,
| There may be humor in this post, and,
| Naturally, you will not sue,
| should things get worse after this,
| PCR
| pcrrcp@netzero.net
| "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
....snip
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 8:05:04 PM

Watch out for mouse traps, Colorado!

--
"Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| ROFLMAO!!
|
| Brian A. wrote:
| > Why would you ever recommend anything you have never used? That's
no
| > different than sending someone to a turkey shoot only for them to
find out
| > they're the turkey.
| >
| > --
| >
| > Brian A.
| >
| > Conflicts start where information lacks.
| > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| >

| > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
| >> Hmm. That's serious. I've seen a few say good things about...
....snip
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:51:01 AM

From the DriverGuide Toolkit FAQ:

"DriverGuide Toolkit identifies what driver files to backup through the INF file
each driver uses to tell the operating system how to install itself. Based on this
information, DriverGuide Toolkit collects the necessary files and then saves them to
a user configurable location. In some cases, the INF file may list a number of
driver files that DriverGuide Toolkit does not backup. This is often the result of
driver files that are in support of a different version of Windows. Those driver
files are not backed up because they are not needed for your version of Windows.
Please note: IF FOR WHATEVER REASON YOUR DRIVER DOES NOT HAVE AN INF FILE, THEN
DRIVERGUIDE TOOLKIT CANNOT BACK UP THE DRIVER!"
--
> [...]

> | "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> | > Added in the thread by one of your plonked posters, PCR.
> | > <quote>
> | > I can't say for sure I am out. Soon I must do that devastation
> myself in
> | > Device Manager. After all, I've just refreshed my full system
> backup.
> | > Others might...
> | >
> | > http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
> | > http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
> | >
> | > Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
> | > that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a
> favorable
> | > report/two.
> | > </quote>
> | >

> | > --
> | >
> | > Brian A.
> | >
> | > Conflicts start where information lacks.

February 24, 2005 3:07:18 AM

I see. There is no mention of Registry entries needed to operate the
drivers. I suppose they possibly will generate by running the .inf. BUT,
will the .inf know that drivers are in a new folder, the one
WinDrvExpert has saved them to? You'd think the programmer would account
for it, but your experience & Chauvin's (as I dimly recall it) dictate
against it. Too bad.

So? Fine, as I'm not about to test it, I'll drop WinDrvExpert from my
posts, especially as no one has dropped by to vigorously defend it.

--
| From the DriverGuide Toolkit FAQ:
|
| "DriverGuide Toolkit identifies what driver files to backup through
the INF file
| each driver uses to tell the operating system how to install itself.
Based on this
| information, DriverGuide Toolkit collects the necessary files and then
saves them to
| a user configurable location. In some cases, the INF file may list a
number of
| driver files that DriverGuide Toolkit does not backup. This is often
the result of
| driver files that are in support of a different version of Windows.
Those driver
| files are not backed up because they are not needed for your version
of Windows.
| Please note: IF FOR WHATEVER REASON YOUR DRIVER DOES NOT HAVE AN INF
FILE, THEN
| DRIVERGUIDE TOOLKIT CANNOT BACK UP THE DRIVER!"
| --
| Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

| > Hmm. That's serious. I've seen a few say good things about...
| >
| > http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
| > http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version
| >
| > BUT, I've never tried it, because my full system backup is always
just
| > 15 minutes away. Unless someone drops in-- jane?-- to challenge you,
| > must either experiment myself or consider qualifying/dropping the
| > recommendation. How far back was "a while back"?
| >
| > Chauvin!? Remember when you tested it!?
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
| > | I downloaded one of those utilities PCR mentioned, a while back,
and
| > ran it to see
| > | *how* it backed up drivers.....it seemed to only copy driver
files,
| > and not deal
| > | with Registry entries at all, making it pretty useless for serious
| > use, IMO. I
| > | dumped it and restored the Registry immediately, as it made so
many
| > Registry changes
| > | during its install. I don't recommend them.
| > | --
| > | Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
| > | http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > |
| > | "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
| > myself in
| > backup.

WinDrvExpert

| > favorable

Still
| > trying

| > selecting
| > you
| > when

IN
| > SAFE
THE
| > HARD
TODAY
| > TRYING
USED
ENOUGH
| > SO I
THESE
| > "QUICK

| > Glen's
| > Boot
| > remove
| > called
| > one

| > message

| > cdrom
| > recognize
PCI
| > thats

| > it's
| > if
| > affect
| > plug-in
Sony
| > DRX

| > message

| > they
| > why.

| > test
Also,
| > how

| > |

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 12:20:34 AM

> You're sure it worked? You've tested it thoroughly? You know enough
> about what drivers do and how they install that you can make a
> thoroughly informed judgment on the value of this utility?

Hi gary,,,,,
All the utility does is goes and fetches drivers either from 3rd party apps
or microsoft ones.
It then just does a back-up of them in a nice tidy folder tree where
ever the user nominates.
its not like its a heavy program or similar, just something that aids
in convenience........ especially if a user needs to grab a lost
or corrupt driver.
is no big deal but seems to me to be a useful thing.

regards Jane
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 12:20:35 AM

Installing drivers is a much more complicated affair than simply
plopping drivers files into their places. It's an installation, and just
like any other installation, it's complicated. Some more than others.

Again, have you used this utility to back up an entire set of drivers,
and then installed a fresh Win98 system and then restored the drivers
using this saved stash? Until you go at *least* that far, you really
have no idea at all whether the utility works worth a hoot. And even
then, you only know that it works in your particular case. Personally,
I'd rather listen to Glen when he says he tried one of PCR's
recommendations (don't know if it was the same one as yours), and from a
pro's point of view, found it seriously lacking.

And that's one of *many* reasons I plonked PCR long ago. He may be
entertaining to some, though he's tiresome to me, and either way, his
"advice" is cadged from other people's, with very little critical review
on his part, after paying very little real attention to the specific
details of the cases he presumes to advise upon. In short, when I found
myself spending large parts of my day correcting PCR's "advice", I
finally realized that my only option was to stop reading his junk. When
I see a poor soul being led astray, and nobody else seems to be jumping
in, *then* I may butt in, but seldom with any reference to PCR, just
giving my own advice on the case as if PCR was nowhere near.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

> > You're sure it worked? You've tested it thoroughly? You know enough
> > about what drivers do and how they install that you can make a
> > thoroughly informed judgment on the value of this utility?
>
> Hi gary,,,,,
> All the utility does is goes and fetches drivers either from 3rd party
apps
> or microsoft ones.
> It then just does a back-up of them in a nice tidy folder tree where
> ever the user nominates.
> its not like its a heavy program or similar, just something that aids
> in convenience........ especially if a user needs to grab a lost
> or corrupt driver.
> is no big deal but seems to me to be a useful thing.
>
> regards Jane

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 12:29:23 AM

> So? Fine, as I'm not about to test it, I'll drop WinDrvExpert from my
> posts, especially as no one has dropped by to vigorously defend it.

Hi PCR,
I'll defend it from the point of view that I downloaded and used it
to back-up all my 3rd party drivers.
I can honestly say that they are all sitting in folders that were neatly
created by the program in a tree form.
They are on my 'play' drive and not interfering with my comp at all.
I thought it was nice to know that if any get lost or corrupted I could
simply point to the necessary one and replace it where it was needed.

regards Jane
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 12:29:24 AM

> > So? Fine, as I'm not about to test it, I'll drop WinDrvExpert from
my
> > posts, especially as no one has dropped by to vigorously defend it.
>
> Hi PCR,
> I'll defend it from the point of view that I downloaded and used it
> to back-up all my 3rd party drivers.
> I can honestly say that they are all sitting in folders that were
neatly
> created by the program in a tree form.
> They are on my 'play' drive and not interfering with my comp at all.
> I thought it was nice to know that if any get lost or corrupted I
could
> simply point to the necessary one and replace it where it was needed.
>
> regards Jane

Sure, it's pretty... But have you actually *tried* to replace drivers
from this nice, neat stash?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

Hmm. Perhaps I'll retain it in my posts, then, but with a qualification,
until someone reports it has restored a set of drivers such that they do
work. It is certainly an advantage to have the drivers all in one place.
But there must be Registry entries to consider for them to actually
function after recovery.

(1) Can you quote a paragraph in it's docs stating how to restore them?
(2) Is there an ".inf" in each folder?
(3) Does it appear to have a folder of really low-level drivers, such as
the motherboard drivers?

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"jane" <jane@internet.com> wrote in message
| > So? Fine, as I'm not about to test it, I'll drop WinDrvExpert from
my
| > posts, especially as no one has dropped by to vigorously defend it.
|
| Hi PCR,
| I'll defend it from the point of view that I downloaded and used it
| to back-up all my 3rd party drivers.
| I can honestly say that they are all sitting in folders that were
neatly
| created by the program in a tree form.
| They are on my 'play' drive and not interfering with my comp at all.
| I thought it was nice to know that if any get lost or corrupted I
could
| simply point to the necessary one and replace it where it was needed.
|
| regards Jane

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 1:09:56 AM

> Sure, it's pretty... But have you actually *tried* to replace drivers
> from this nice, neat stash?
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune

Not until I need them.
Isnt most of the computer advice given here based on BackingUp
in the event of something going wrong.
I just thought the program was a good idea as opposed to bad.
The only drawback I have found so far is the fact that the trial period
is only two days.
Will keep you posted if I ever need to grab a file/driver due to a loss;;
this could be in two days or two years.

regards Jane
!