Bios won't recognize HD, looking for flash

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
a b } Memory
February 20, 2005 1:51:02 PM

I am installing a new HD to my computer, it's 120 gb yet my bios limits me to
30 gb. I need to flash my bios, heres my info for my computer:

Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.41
BIOS Date: 03/26/99
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 03/26/1999-SiS-530-2A5IMS29C
OEM Sign-On: SSM-2BB2
Chipset: SiS 530 rev 2
Superio: ITE 8661/SiS 6801 rev 2 found at port 279h
OS: Win98
CPU: AMD-K6 450 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size: 256K
Memory Installed: 192 MB
Memory Maximum: Unknown
Memory Slot 01: 64 MB
Memory Slot 02: 128 MB
Memory Slot 03: 0 MB
Memory Slot 04: 0 MB

Can Anyone Help me? Thankssss!!!

More about : bios recognize flash

Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 20, 2005 3:30:17 PM

According to http://www.wimsbios.com/HTML1/soyo.html, that's a Soyo 5SSM
board.
Most recent upgrade for that board, according to this Soyo page
http://tinyurl.com/6w88d, is dated 09/18/2000.

But you should use that second link (the TinyURL link--the real one is
very long) to verify that you truly have that board. Here's the link to
that motherboard's tech manual download page: http://tinyurl.com/6jfwr

While I can't find a list of what issues the various BIOS updates for
that board address, I kinda doubt it's going to solve your problem. You
may need to get a controller card.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"dostie1" <dostie1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am installing a new HD to my computer, it's 120 gb yet my bios
limits me to
> 30 gb. I need to flash my bios, heres my info for my computer:
>

> Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.41
> BIOS Date: 03/26/99
> BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
> BIOS ID: 03/26/1999-SiS-530-2A5IMS29C
> OEM Sign-On: SSM-2BB2
> Chipset: SiS 530 rev 2
> Superio: ITE 8661/SiS 6801 rev 2 found at port 279h
> OS: Win98
> CPU: AMD-K6 450 Mhz
> BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
> BIOS ROM Size: 256K
> Memory Installed: 192 MB
> Memory Maximum: Unknown
> Memory Slot 01: 64 MB
> Memory Slot 02: 128 MB
> Memory Slot 03: 0 MB
> Memory Slot 04: 0 MB
>
> Can Anyone Help me? Thankssss!!!
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 20, 2005 5:19:00 PM

Are you sure it's the BIOS that's limiting the drive size? If so, you need
to check the motherboard manufacturers site for a BIOS update. Follow their
instructions explicitly and don't do anything while the flash is running or
you may wind up in a bad situation.

Have you tried installing the FDISK patch that allows for HD's over 64GB?
Fdisk Does Not Recognize Full Size of Hard Disks Larger than 64 GB
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263044

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"dostie1" <dostie1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am installing a new HD to my computer, it's 120 gb yet my bios limits me
> 30 gb. I need to flash my bios, heres my info for my computer:
>

> Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.41
> BIOS Date: 03/26/99
> BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
> BIOS ID: 03/26/1999-SiS-530-2A5IMS29C
> OEM Sign-On: SSM-2BB2
> Chipset: SiS 530 rev 2
> Superio: ITE 8661/SiS 6801 rev 2 found at port 279h
> OS: Win98
> CPU: AMD-K6 450 Mhz
> BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
> BIOS ROM Size: 256K
> Memory Installed: 192 MB
> Memory Maximum: Unknown
> Memory Slot 01: 64 MB
> Memory Slot 02: 128 MB
> Memory Slot 03: 0 MB
> Memory Slot 04: 0 MB
>
> Can Anyone Help me? Thankssss!!!
Anonymous
a b } Memory
February 20, 2005 7:35:15 PM

Might be easier to goto Maxtor or Western Digital's websites and find out
about MaxBlast3Win and DataLifeGuard tools, large drive support fast
partitioning and formatting and bypass bios limitations

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
_

!