problems reinstalling using win98 boot disk

After uninstalling Norton Internet Security, Windows 98SE would not reboot.
It gave me the error "Fatal exception 0D occured at 16A7:000014E3. Press any
key to continue." Pressing any key causes the computer to hang (black
screen). I rebooted using the Win98 boot disk that allows access to a
CD-ROM. When I type "setup" to re-install Win98, I get the error message:
"Windows setup requires 'largest excecutable program size'to be at least
442,368 bytes to run." I have rebooted and reinstalled before and never
encountered this. Microsoft support has no articles for troubleshooting
either problem. HELP!!

Norm
9 answers Last reply
More about problems reinstalling win98 boot disk

    "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After uninstalling Norton Internet Security, Windows 98SE would not
    reboot.
    > It gave me the error "Fatal exception 0D occured at 16A7:000014E3. Press
    any
    > key to continue." Pressing any key causes the computer to hang (black
    > screen). I rebooted using the Win98 boot disk that allows access to a
    > CD-ROM. When I type "setup" to re-install Win98, I get the error message:
    > "Windows setup requires 'largest excecutable program size'to be at least
    > 442,368 bytes to run." I have rebooted and reinstalled before and never
    > encountered this. Microsoft support has no articles for troubleshooting
    > either problem. HELP!!
    >
    > Norm

    if there is no data on the drive you need to keep...
    try formatting the drive first...it looks like it's corrupted.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=289727
    Error Message: Windows Setup Requires Largest Executable Program Size to Be
    at Least 4,442,368 Bytes
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > After uninstalling Norton Internet Security, Windows 98SE would not
    > reboot.
    > It gave me the error "Fatal exception 0D occured at 16A7:000014E3. Press
    > any
    > key to continue." Pressing any key causes the computer to hang (black
    > screen). I rebooted using the Win98 boot disk that allows access to a
    > CD-ROM. When I type "setup" to re-install Win98, I get the error message:
    > "Windows setup requires 'largest excecutable program size'to be at least
    > 442,368 bytes to run." I have rebooted and reinstalled before and never
    > encountered this. Microsoft support has no articles for troubleshooting
    > either problem. HELP!!
    >
    > Norm

    Jeff,
    Thanks for your reply. Nothing in that article helped, though. I can't run
    scandisk from the win98 boot disk. I get an error message that there is not
    enough conventional memory and that I should load some drivers into high
    memory. I thought the only loaded drivers were the boot disk's CD-ROM
    drivers. Anyway, I wouldn't know how to load a driver into high memory. I
    "xcopied" the whole win98 disk onto my hard drive and tried running setup
    with the "/is" suffix and that didn't work. I got the same original error
    message. Same again from the win98 CD using "/is". I don't want to format
    the drive and lose all my data. Any other suggestions?

    setup.exe is that on the root directory of the CD is meant to be run in
    Windows, the setup.exe that you need to run is in the Win98 folder?

    What is the exact (verbatim) message you get when you try to run Scandisk
    from DOS? Also, do CHKDSK C: and note the number of allocation units.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    > Jeff,
    > Thanks for your reply. Nothing in that article helped, though. I can't
    > run
    > scandisk from the win98 boot disk. I get an error message that there is
    > not
    > enough conventional memory and that I should load some drivers into high
    > memory. I thought the only loaded drivers were the boot disk's CD-ROM
    > drivers. Anyway, I wouldn't know how to load a driver into high memory.
    > "xcopied" the whole win98 disk onto my hard drive and tried running setup
    > with the "/is" suffix and that didn't work. I got the same original error
    > message. Same again from the win98 CD using "/is". I don't want to
    > format
    > the drive and lose all my data. Any other suggestions?

    Lee, I am not sure of what exactly you are asking. Can you rephrase the
    question?

    "Jeff Richards" wrote:

    > What is the exact (verbatim) message you get when you try to run Scandisk
    > from DOS? Also, do CHKDSK C: and note the number of allocation units.

    VERBATIM: "There is not enough free conventional memory to check a drive.
    You may need ro remark (REM) some device drivers from your CONFIG.SYS file.
    Or, in your CONFIG.SYS, you may need to load the EMM386.EXE driver to load
    your other device drivers int Upper Memory Blocks using DEVICEHIGH=
    statements."

    CHKDSK says: "CHKDSK has NOT checked this drive for errors. You must use
    SCANDISK to detect and fix the errors on this drive."

    32,768 bytes in each allocation unit
    1,876,133 total allocation units on disk
    338,878 available allocation units on disk
    655,360 total bytes memory
    417,216 bytes free

    I hope this helps you come up with a solution to my problem.

    Norm

    The number of allocation units is within the range that Scandisk can handle,
    and the amount of free conventional memory ought to be adequate for
    Scandisk.

    Get a boot disk from www.bootdisk.com. Boot without CD ROM support, and try
    running Scandisk from the DOS prompt. To maximise conventional memory the
    CONFIG.SYS file on the boot floppy must have the lines
    device=himem.sys
    device=emm386.exe noems
    dos=high,umb
    or the equivalent lines with the appropriate drive/folder.

    How have you confirmed the three issuues previously indicated?
    - You installed drive overlay software, but you did not follow the correct
    installation sequence. For example, you may have to press the SHIFT key or
    use a similar keystroke combination to start your computer when you use a
    disk.
    - The computer has a virus.
    - The computer has failing or faulty hardware.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

    > snip <
    >
    > VERBATIM: "There is not enough free conventional memory to check a drive.
    > You may need ro remark (REM) some device drivers from your CONFIG.SYS
    > file.
    > Or, in your CONFIG.SYS, you may need to load the EMM386.EXE driver to load
    > your other device drivers int Upper Memory Blocks using DEVICEHIGH=
    > statements."
    >
    > CHKDSK says: "CHKDSK has NOT checked this drive for errors. You must use
    > SCANDISK to detect and fix the errors on this drive."
    >
    > 32,768 bytes in each allocation unit
    > 1,876,133 total allocation units on disk
    > 338,878 available allocation units on disk
    > 655,360 total bytes memory
    > 417,216 bytes free
    >
    > I hope this helps you come up with a solution to my problem.
    >
    > Norm

    None of the below issues apply. I don't even know what drive overlay
    software is, let alone ever installed it. I ran Norton Internet Security off
    the CD-ROM at boot up and it scanned my C: drive. It was virus free.
    Nothing wrong with my hardware. It was uninstalling the Norton, which kept
    causing my computer to 'hang', that started the problem in the first place.

    I'll try bootdisk.com. Maybe my win98 bootdisk is the problem. I'll keep
    you informed. Thanks.

    > How have you confirmed the three issuues previously indicated?
    > - You installed drive overlay software, but you did not follow the correct
    > installation sequence. For example, you may have to press the SHIFT key or
    > use a similar keystroke combination to start your computer when you use a
    > disk.
    > - The computer has a virus.
    > - The computer has failing or faulty hardware.

Microsoft Windows