Where to upgrade from a 9800 pro?

Bopper

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
I am thinking about upgrading my graphics card as it is the weakest link in my system atm. I want to keep everything else but just want to change my graphics card, however I am debating whether to buy a pci-express motherboard and a pci-e card or just a new agp 8X card.

My current specs are:
MSI NForce3 M-board (AGP)
Athlon 64 3200+
1 gig DDR-400 RAM
200 gig HD
Radeon 9800 Pro

I tried looking for a Nvidia 6800GS for about 200 euros but they were sold out. Instead I found this:

N6800/TD/512M

http://fi.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=2&l2=7&l3=3&model=992&modelmenu=1

I am unsure if this has performance on par with the GS or if it is the slower version such as the XT or LE. Then again, maybe I should just spend the 100 euros extra for the upgrade to pci-express. I am having a hard time deciding, plz help!

Bopper

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Well if I could buy a new AGP card for 250 max or a pci-express mobo and card for 350 I would be happy. How hard is it to install a new mobo myself?

ikaz

Distinguished
Yeah with your setup if the only thing is holding you back is the video card I would just go ahead and get a PCI-E mobo, I had kinda a oppsite problem with an old sock A MB but I had a decent x850pro apg card so I got me one of those ASROCK duel MB and moved over all my stuff to the new MB and processor.

However please be prepaired to have to reinstall your OS I got some nasty blue screen when I switched over (however mine was a much bigger change) you may want to uninstall all of your chip set drivers if you do replace the MB also make sure you have a PSU that has the xtra power connector of the new PCI-e MB

pauldh

Illustrious
Ugh, here's that card again. Seems every 3-4 days someone pops that card up now. Do not buy that Asus TD 512MB 6800; it's junk. It is a crippled 128-bit card with low memory clocks too. If you buy any GF6800 series card (6800, 6800GS, 6800GT, or 6800U) they should have a 256-bit memory interface and not 128-bit.

(Since you have an A64) If you can afford the little extra of a PCI-e mobo and are willing to do a fresh OS install, by all means upgrade to PCI-e. You will get a much better video card for your money going PCI-e.

ikaz

Distinguished
yeah I don't know why people look for buget/low-med range cards that have 512mb of ram in the first place. A lot of people think that more ram and support the lastest and greatest SM feature=better card that the last gen that only has 128/256megs most people don't even look at the graphic interface. oh well I digress at any rate I would just replace the mobo if you realy want to stay AGP and want to play some of the new games out I wouldn't message with anything lower than a 8XX series AGP card (if you can find them) or 7800GS agp card (if you willing to pay the dough).

mationman

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
We get the 7800 gainward here for about £250+ but there not that common Overclockers.co.uk sells them but I would go for a PCI-e upgrade for that money a 7900gts about £230 so a mobo on top of that wouldnt be too much more.
Dunno about the rest of europe though

Xbitpog

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
How much is the 7800GS AGP?
It's faster than the 6800U, IOW, it will twice as fast as your 9800pro, and all you is plug one card in.

cleeve

Illustrious
I still had a 9800pro as of this past Christmas. Performance was lacking so I jumped up to an x850xt as that was the best AGP card at the moment, and the improvement was laughable.

Your system was holding you back, probably your CPU.

The X850 XT is wayyy better than a 9800 PRO... the difference is not laughable at all on a decent system, it's quite profound.