changing folder icons to W98 appearance

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 21, 2005 5:44:17 AM

If you don't like the "see-through" folder icons in Windows XP, is it
possible to make the folder icons look the way they do in Windows 98?

I don't have Windows XP, I was just wondering.

Larry
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 5:44:18 AM

They're "see through" because they have the "Hidden" attribute and the
user has chosen to "Show Hidden Files and Folders" in Folder Options,
View tab. As far as I know, there is no way to change this behavior. I
think it's hard-coded into Explorer.exe. It's not just folders, either.
It's also Hidden files that do this. They have the same icon as
determined by FileType, but it's made semi-transparent in response to
the Hidden attribute.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
> If you don't like the "see-through" folder icons in Windows XP, is it
> possible to make the folder icons look the way they do in Windows 98?
>
> I don't have Windows XP, I was just wondering.
>
> Larry

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 6:38:27 AM

See thru folders, wha, huh? Mine aren't see-thru.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
> If you don't like the "see-through" folder icons in Windows XP, is it
> possible to make the folder icons look the way they do in Windows 98?
>
> I don't have Windows XP, I was just wondering.
>
> Larry

February 21, 2005 6:52:07 AM

In Explorer, with "Show Hidden Files and Folders" enabled, you don't see
semi-transparent folders? In Windows folder, for instance, all the
update uninstall folders named, e.g., "$NtUninstallKB810217$"?

Oh, and they *aren't* "see-through in the Folders column, only in the
right-hand pane.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> See thru folders, wha, huh? Mine aren't see-thru.
>
> --
>
> Brian A.

> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
> > If you don't like the "see-through" folder icons in Windows XP, is
it
> > possible to make the folder icons look the way they do in Windows
98?

> > I don't have Windows XP, I was just wondering.
> >
> > Larry

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 1:19:20 PM

I thought about that after sending and already headed for slumber. Of course
they're there, I just don't notice em anymore.

--

!