changing folder icons to W98 appearance

If you don't like the "see-through" folder icons in Windows XP, is it
possible to make the folder icons look the way they do in Windows 98?

I don't have Windows XP, I was just wondering.

Larry
4 answers Last reply
More about changing folder icons appearance

    They're "see through" because they have the "Hidden" attribute and the
    user has chosen to "Show Hidden Files and Folders" in Folder Options,
    View tab. As far as I know, there is no way to change this behavior. I
    think it's hard-coded into Explorer.exe. It's not just folders, either.
    It's also Hidden files that do this. They have the same icon as
    determined by FileType, but it's made semi-transparent in response to
    the Hidden attribute.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
    > If you don't like the "see-through" folder icons in Windows XP, is it
    > possible to make the folder icons look the way they do in Windows 98?
    >
    > I don't have Windows XP, I was just wondering.
    >
    > Larry

    See thru folders, wha, huh? Mine aren't see-thru.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
    > If you don't like the "see-through" folder icons in Windows XP, is it
    > possible to make the folder icons look the way they do in Windows 98?
    >
    > I don't have Windows XP, I was just wondering.
    >
    > Larry

    In Explorer, with "Show Hidden Files and Folders" enabled, you don't see
    semi-transparent folders? In Windows folder, for instance, all the
    update uninstall folders named, e.g., "$NtUninstallKB810217$"?

    Oh, and they *aren't* "see-through in the Folders column, only in the
    right-hand pane.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > See thru folders, wha, huh? Mine aren't see-thru.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Brian A.

    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >

    > "Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
    > > If you don't like the "see-through" folder icons in Windows XP, is
    it
    > > possible to make the folder icons look the way they do in Windows
    98?

    > > I don't have Windows XP, I was just wondering.
    > >
    > > Larry

    I thought about that after sending and already headed for slumber. Of course
    they're there, I just don't notice em anymore.

    --

    > In Explorer, with "Show Hidden Files and Folders" enabled, you don't see
    > semi-transparent folders? In Windows folder, for instance, all the
    > update uninstall folders named, e.g., "$NtUninstallKB810217$"?
    >
    > Oh, and they *aren't* "see-through in the Folders column, only in the
    > right-hand pane.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    >> See thru folders, wha, huh? Mine aren't see-thru.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Brian A.
    >>
    >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
    >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>

    >> "Larry" <larry328NOSPAM@att.net> wrote in message
    >> > If you don't like the "see-through" folder icons in Windows XP, is
    > it
    >> > possible to make the folder icons look the way they do in Windows
    > 98?
    >> >
    >> > I don't have Windows XP, I was just wondering.
    >> >
    >> > Larry

Icons Microsoft Windows XP Windows