CD-ROM problem

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
February 21, 2005 3:31:04 AM

Recently i installed a new CD-ROM drive. It was working fine but now it gets
detected in the Power On Self Test and in BIOS Setup also. But inside the "
My Computer " i am unable to see the CD ROM drive. I tried changing the
CD-ROM interface cable & power cable but it did n't work. I am able to eject
the CD-ROM drive but in windows i am unable to see the CD-ROM drive.

Could anybody help me to solve this problem ?

More about : rom problem

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 4:27:19 AM

Did you uninstall or reinstall any CD burning software? There is a known
problem that exhibits this kind of behavior, but the only KB references
are for Windows 2000 or Windows XP. I hesitate to recommend that fix. So
why don't we try this first:

1. Right-click My Computer, then choose Properties. Then click on Device
Manager. Does your CD drive (or do your CD drives) show in DM? If so, do
they show a "bang"--a yellow exclamation mark? The answer to that
question will help diagnose.

2. Restart in Safe Mode by holding down the Ctrl key as startup
progresses until the Startup Menu appears. (F8 key is sometimes easier,
and sometimes you need to repeatedly press it, instead of holding it
down, in order to avoid a stuck-key error.) Go into Device Manager in
Safe Mode and remove ALL drives--hard drives, floppies, internal ZIP
drive if you have it, CD drives, etc. Then remove ALL controllers
(except FIFOs, which can't be removed.) Last, look in System section for
"PCI Bus" and remove it. While you're here, look through the rest of
Device Manager for any duplicated items, exact duplicates. Make a list
of which they are and how many of each, to post back here. Then restart
and let Windows reinstall these devices.

If the CD drive(s) still don't appear in My Computer, look again in
Device Manager to see what shows there. Then post back here with the
results.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Venkat" <Venkat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently i installed a new CD-ROM drive. It was working fine but now
it gets
> detected in the Power On Self Test and in BIOS Setup also. But inside
the "
> My Computer " i am unable to see the CD ROM drive. I tried changing
the
> CD-ROM interface cable & power cable but it did n't work. I am able to
eject
> the CD-ROM drive but in windows i am unable to see the CD-ROM drive.
>
> Could anybody help me to solve this problem ?
February 21, 2005 6:19:01 AM

Thanks for the info gary but i dont see the cdrom in device manager ....

"Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

> Did you uninstall or reinstall any CD burning software? There is a known
> problem that exhibits this kind of behavior, but the only KB references
> are for Windows 2000 or Windows XP. I hesitate to recommend that fix. So
> why don't we try this first:
>
> 1. Right-click My Computer, then choose Properties. Then click on Device
> Manager. Does your CD drive (or do your CD drives) show in DM? If so, do
> they show a "bang"--a yellow exclamation mark? The answer to that
> question will help diagnose.
>
> 2. Restart in Safe Mode by holding down the Ctrl key as startup
> progresses until the Startup Menu appears. (F8 key is sometimes easier,
> and sometimes you need to repeatedly press it, instead of holding it
> down, in order to avoid a stuck-key error.) Go into Device Manager in
> Safe Mode and remove ALL drives--hard drives, floppies, internal ZIP
> drive if you have it, CD drives, etc. Then remove ALL controllers
> (except FIFOs, which can't be removed.) Last, look in System section for
> "PCI Bus" and remove it. While you're here, look through the rest of
> Device Manager for any duplicated items, exact duplicates. Make a list
> of which they are and how many of each, to post back here. Then restart
> and let Windows reinstall these devices.
>
> If the CD drive(s) still don't appear in My Computer, look again in
> Device Manager to see what shows there. Then post back here with the
> results.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "Venkat" <Venkat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Recently i installed a new CD-ROM drive. It was working fine but now
> it gets
> > detected in the Power On Self Test and in BIOS Setup also. But inside
> the "
> > My Computer " i am unable to see the CD ROM drive. I tried changing
> the
> > CD-ROM interface cable & power cable but it did n't work. I am able to
> eject
> > the CD-ROM drive but in windows i am unable to see the CD-ROM drive.
> >
> > Could anybody help me to solve this problem ?

February 21, 2005 6:49:00 AM

Which Device Manager are you looking at? If you're talking about Normal
Mode Device Manger, then all that means is that the issue I first spoke
to is not probably the problem. But you should still look in Safe Mode
Device Manager, and even if it isn't listed, do what I said--remove all
drives, controllers, PCI Bus and report on duplications.

--

> Thanks for the info gary but i dont see the cdrom in device manager
>
> "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:
>
> > Did you uninstall or reinstall any CD burning software? There is a
known
> > problem that exhibits this kind of behavior, but the only KB
references
> > are for Windows 2000 or Windows XP. I hesitate to recommend that
fix. So
> > why don't we try this first:
> >
> > 1. Right-click My Computer, then choose Properties. Then click on
Device
> > Manager. Does your CD drive (or do your CD drives) show in DM? If
so, do
> > they show a "bang"--a yellow exclamation mark? The answer to that
> > question will help diagnose.
> >
> > 2. Restart in Safe Mode by holding down the Ctrl key as startup
> > progresses until the Startup Menu appears. (F8 key is sometimes
easier,
> > and sometimes you need to repeatedly press it, instead of holding it
> > down, in order to avoid a stuck-key error.) Go into Device Manager
in
> > Safe Mode and remove ALL drives--hard drives, floppies, internal ZIP
> > drive if you have it, CD drives, etc. Then remove ALL controllers
> > (except FIFOs, which can't be removed.) Last, look in System section
for
> > "PCI Bus" and remove it. While you're here, look through the rest of
> > Device Manager for any duplicated items, exact duplicates. Make a
list
> > of which they are and how many of each, to post back here. Then
restart
> > and let Windows reinstall these devices.
> >
> > If the CD drive(s) still don't appear in My Computer, look again in
> > Device Manager to see what shows there. Then post back here with the
> > results.
> >
> > --
> > Gary S. Terhune
> > MS MVP Shell/User
> >
> > "Venkat" <Venkat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Recently i installed a new CD-ROM drive. It was working fine but
now
> > it gets
> > > detected in the Power On Self Test and in BIOS Setup also. But
inside
> > the "
> > > My Computer " i am unable to see the CD ROM drive. I tried
changing
> > the
> > > CD-ROM interface cable & power cable but it did n't work. I am
able to
> > eject
> > > the CD-ROM drive but in windows i am unable to see the CD-ROM
drive.

> > > Could anybody help me to solve this problem ?

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 12:05:45 PM

=?Utf-8?B?VmVua2F0?= <Venkat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

> Recently i installed a new CD-ROM drive. It was working fine but now
> it gets detected in the Power On Self Test and in BIOS Setup also. But
> inside the " My Computer " i am unable to see the CD ROM drive. I
> tried changing the CD-ROM interface cable & power cable but it did n't
> work. I am able to eject the CD-ROM drive but in windows i am unable
> to see the CD-ROM drive.
>
> Could anybody help me to solve this problem ?

Is it visible in 'Device Manager'?
!