CD-ROM problem

Recently i installed a new CD-ROM drive. It was working fine but now it gets
detected in the Power On Self Test and in BIOS Setup also. But inside the "
My Computer " i am unable to see the CD ROM drive. I tried changing the
CD-ROM interface cable & power cable but it did n't work. I am able to eject
the CD-ROM drive but in windows i am unable to see the CD-ROM drive.

Could anybody help me to solve this problem ?
4 answers Last reply
More about problem

    Did you uninstall or reinstall any CD burning software? There is a known
    problem that exhibits this kind of behavior, but the only KB references
    are for Windows 2000 or Windows XP. I hesitate to recommend that fix. So
    why don't we try this first:

    1. Right-click My Computer, then choose Properties. Then click on Device
    Manager. Does your CD drive (or do your CD drives) show in DM? If so, do
    they show a "bang"--a yellow exclamation mark? The answer to that
    question will help diagnose.

    2. Restart in Safe Mode by holding down the Ctrl key as startup
    progresses until the Startup Menu appears. (F8 key is sometimes easier,
    and sometimes you need to repeatedly press it, instead of holding it
    down, in order to avoid a stuck-key error.) Go into Device Manager in
    Safe Mode and remove ALL drives--hard drives, floppies, internal ZIP
    drive if you have it, CD drives, etc. Then remove ALL controllers
    (except FIFOs, which can't be removed.) Last, look in System section for
    "PCI Bus" and remove it. While you're here, look through the rest of
    Device Manager for any duplicated items, exact duplicates. Make a list
    of which they are and how many of each, to post back here. Then restart
    and let Windows reinstall these devices.

    If the CD drive(s) still don't appear in My Computer, look again in
    Device Manager to see what shows there. Then post back here with the
    results.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Venkat" <Venkat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Recently i installed a new CD-ROM drive. It was working fine but now
    it gets
    > detected in the Power On Self Test and in BIOS Setup also. But inside
    the "
    > My Computer " i am unable to see the CD ROM drive. I tried changing
    the
    > CD-ROM interface cable & power cable but it did n't work. I am able to
    eject
    > the CD-ROM drive but in windows i am unable to see the CD-ROM drive.
    >
    > Could anybody help me to solve this problem ?

    Thanks for the info gary but i dont see the cdrom in device manager ....

    "Gary S. Terhune" wrote:

    > Did you uninstall or reinstall any CD burning software? There is a known
    > problem that exhibits this kind of behavior, but the only KB references
    > are for Windows 2000 or Windows XP. I hesitate to recommend that fix. So
    > why don't we try this first:
    >
    > 1. Right-click My Computer, then choose Properties. Then click on Device
    > Manager. Does your CD drive (or do your CD drives) show in DM? If so, do
    > they show a "bang"--a yellow exclamation mark? The answer to that
    > question will help diagnose.
    >
    > 2. Restart in Safe Mode by holding down the Ctrl key as startup
    > progresses until the Startup Menu appears. (F8 key is sometimes easier,
    > and sometimes you need to repeatedly press it, instead of holding it
    > down, in order to avoid a stuck-key error.) Go into Device Manager in
    > Safe Mode and remove ALL drives--hard drives, floppies, internal ZIP
    > drive if you have it, CD drives, etc. Then remove ALL controllers
    > (except FIFOs, which can't be removed.) Last, look in System section for
    > "PCI Bus" and remove it. While you're here, look through the rest of
    > Device Manager for any duplicated items, exact duplicates. Make a list
    > of which they are and how many of each, to post back here. Then restart
    > and let Windows reinstall these devices.
    >
    > If the CD drive(s) still don't appear in My Computer, look again in
    > Device Manager to see what shows there. Then post back here with the
    > results.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "Venkat" <Venkat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Recently i installed a new CD-ROM drive. It was working fine but now
    > it gets
    > > detected in the Power On Self Test and in BIOS Setup also. But inside
    > the "
    > > My Computer " i am unable to see the CD ROM drive. I tried changing
    > the
    > > CD-ROM interface cable & power cable but it did n't work. I am able to
    > eject
    > > the CD-ROM drive but in windows i am unable to see the CD-ROM drive.
    > >
    > > Could anybody help me to solve this problem ?

    Which Device Manager are you looking at? If you're talking about Normal
    Mode Device Manger, then all that means is that the issue I first spoke
    to is not probably the problem. But you should still look in Safe Mode
    Device Manager, and even if it isn't listed, do what I said--remove all
    drives, controllers, PCI Bus and report on duplications.

    --

    =?Utf-8?B?VmVua2F0?= <Venkat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > Recently i installed a new CD-ROM drive. It was working fine but now
    > it gets detected in the Power On Self Test and in BIOS Setup also. But
    > inside the " My Computer " i am unable to see the CD ROM drive. I
    > tried changing the CD-ROM interface cable & power cable but it did n't
    > work. I am able to eject the CD-ROM drive but in windows i am unable
    > to see the CD-ROM drive.
    >
    > Could anybody help me to solve this problem ?

    Is it visible in 'Device Manager'?

CD-Rom Power Windows