How do I add manufacturer CDROM support to startup disk?

Trying to install Windows 98 on an older PC. CDROM is not working w/ generic
drivers in startup files. General instructions are to use manufacturer
drivers if CDROM runs from sound card and won't work with generic drivers.
That's the situation for me, but I can't find info on doing so. I've been
unable to locate specific drivers for ACER 4x CDROM since it's so old. It
was installed with a Sound Blaster card, so I've downloaded those drivers.
Now, how do I add SB16 CDROM support to startup disk?

Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about manufacturer cdrom support startup disk

    The idea is to load the sound card driver, then the CD driver. You don't need to
    activate the entire sound card, just the part that connects the computer to the CD
    interface. For example, if the interface driver is "a:\cdsetup.sys" and the cd driver is
    "a:\acercd.sys", the "a:\config.sys" file might be

    device=cdsetup.sys
    device=acercd.sys /d:mscd0001

    Then the "a:\autoexec.bat",

    mscdex.exe /d:mscd0001

    Ben

    Old Acer drivers
    http://www.drivermuseum.com/files/drivers/cdrom_d.html

    "ssb" <ssb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C5FE4B0-B796-4821-8414-0C10D213FC0F@microsoft.com...
    > Trying to install Windows 98 on an older PC. CDROM is not working w/ generic
    > drivers in startup files. General instructions are to use manufacturer
    > drivers if CDROM runs from sound card and won't work with generic drivers.
    > That's the situation for me, but I can't find info on doing so. I've been
    > unable to locate specific drivers for ACER 4x CDROM since it's so old. It
    > was installed with a Sound Blaster card, so I've downloaded those drivers.
    > Now, how do I add SB16 CDROM support to startup disk?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Just curious-do you have to use the sound card as the controller? Can you
    disconnect it and cable it as an IDE. Then you could use generic drivers.
    Reason I ask I had 2 like that - a Reveal and SB - I took an old 4x from
    one and hooked it up . Planned to do this as a temp but just kept it to
    install programs. Had gone through 2 CDROMs , and the replacements were no
    good either.
    --
    mae

    "ssb" <ssb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Trying to install Windows 98 on an older PC. CDROM is not working w/
    generic
    | drivers in startup files. General instructions are to use manufacturer
    | drivers if CDROM runs from sound card and won't work with generic drivers.
    | That's the situation for me, but I can't find info on doing so. I've been
    | unable to locate specific drivers for ACER 4x CDROM since it's so old. It
    | was installed with a Sound Blaster card, so I've downloaded those drivers.
    | Now, how do I add SB16 CDROM support to startup disk?
    |
    | Thanks!

    If you have the correct drivers, then you will have the driver file and the
    command for CONFIG.SYS. This is usually one file (with a SYS extension)
    and one command line such as
    DEVICE=CDROM.SYS /D:MSCD0000

    The sys file name and the device name (MSCD0000) might both be different in
    your example and there might be other command line options.

    You need to modify the line to suit the boot disk. This might include
    putting a drive specifier before the driver file name, and it might include
    a different device name. Take your cue from the existing lines - they will
    all follow a pattern. Be sure to replace the device name (MSCD0000 in the
    above example) with the exact name as per the existing lines in CONIG.SYS.

    If your startup disk actually runs from another location, such as a RAM
    drive, then you need to ensure that your device driver file is copied to
    that location along with the others when the system boots.

    There should be no need to change the MSCDEX part of the installation - if
    you use the corrrect device name then that command is already installed for
    you.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)
    "ssb" <ssb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Trying to install Windows 98 on an older PC. CDROM is not working w/
    > generic
    > drivers in startup files. General instructions are to use manufacturer
    > drivers if CDROM runs from sound card and won't work with generic drivers.
    > That's the situation for me, but I can't find info on doing so. I've been
    > unable to locate specific drivers for ACER 4x CDROM since it's so old. It
    > was installed with a Sound Blaster card, so I've downloaded those drivers.
    > Now, how do I add SB16 CDROM support to startup disk?
    >
    > Thanks!

Windows 98 Drivers Support Windows