Sound problems

I have a Creative SoundBlaster AudioPLI 128D (WDM) soundcard in my Dell
400 Win98 PC. Sometimes when I open Quiken or somesuch program with a
opening fanfare I get warbles, skips and distortions of the sound. I
*think* it gets better when I snooze the EZ AV. Does this make sense?
Besides the program opening skips, sometimes I lose the sounds in the
middle of a session of playing online Pacific poker. They aren't
necessary, I know, but are a nice touch.
There is a patch for the sound driver recommended for download at the
Dell site, but it's HUGE (16848KB) and I don't want to spend the time at
DU speed if it's not going to help. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks
Steve
41N

What does the info about the patch say it is for? Does it mention solving any
problems?

Check your sound card in Device Manager for any conflicts in IRQ or DMA channel.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Steve IA" <bringem@home.now> wrote in message news:4219E7C4.C4FA595E@home.now...
> I have a Creative SoundBlaster AudioPLI 128D (WDM) soundcard in my Dell
> 400 Win98 PC. Sometimes when I open Quiken or somesuch program with a
> opening fanfare I get warbles, skips and distortions of the sound. I
> *think* it gets better when I snooze the EZ AV. Does this make sense?
> Besides the program opening skips, sometimes I lose the sounds in the
> middle of a session of playing online Pacific poker. They aren't
> necessary, I know, but are a nice touch.
> There is a patch for the sound driver recommended for download at the
> Dell site, but it's HUGE (16848KB) and I don't want to spend the time at
> DU speed if it's not going to help. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks
> Steve
> 41N

It doesn't say what for, it just says:
'7510802.exe Creative Labs Audio PCI 64D and 128D Digital Sound Card
(1373 chipset) patch, version 5.12.01.4037b"

I googled 7510802.exe looking for a reason to download it and discovered
a thread in a forum
(http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/163040.html)
mentioning it's location when downloaded. I looked there on my PC and
already have it!
c:\cabs\7510802

Device Manager reports no conflicts.
I tested PC this morning without 2 browsers and OE6 running and sound
was ok. I'm wondering if it's a resource thing? When I run normal (for
me) Resources are 45 to 55%. This morning with Pacific poker only I ran
at 80% and no sound problems.

Thanks, Glen.

Steve
41n

glee wrote:

> What does the info about the patch say it is for? Does it mention solving any
> problems?
>
> Check your sound card in Device Manager for any conflicts in IRQ or DMA channel.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> "Steve IA" <bringem@home.now> wrote in message news:4219E7C4.C4FA595E@home.now...
> > I have a Creative SoundBlaster AudioPLI 128D (WDM) soundcard in my Dell
> > 400 Win98 PC. Sometimes when I open Quiken or somesuch program with a
> > opening fanfare I get warbles, skips and distortions of the sound. I
> > *think* it gets better when I snooze the EZ AV. Does this make sense?
> > Besides the program opening skips, sometimes I lose the sounds in the
> > middle of a session of playing online Pacific poker. They aren't
> > necessary, I know, but are a nice touch.
> > There is a patch for the sound driver recommended for download at the
> > Dell site, but it's HUGE (16848KB) and I don't want to spend the time at
> > DU speed if it's not going to help. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks
> > Steve
> > 41N

Try reinstalling the patch.
I suppose it could be a resources issue, but it shouldn't. Sound should not be
affected unless the resources are down into the teens, I would think. With a
SoundBlaster card, it could be anything......
--

"Steve IA" <bringem@home.now> wrote in message news:421A3936.3722896C@home.now...
> It doesn't say what for, it just says:
> '7510802.exe Creative Labs Audio PCI 64D and 128D Digital Sound Card
> (1373 chipset) patch, version 5.12.01.4037b"
>
> I googled 7510802.exe looking for a reason to download it and discovered
> a thread in a forum
> (http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/163040.html)
> mentioning it's location when downloaded. I looked there on my PC and
> already have it!
> c:\cabs\7510802
>
> Device Manager reports no conflicts.
> I tested PC this morning without 2 browsers and OE6 running and sound
> was ok. I'm wondering if it's a resource thing? When I run normal (for
> me) Resources are 45 to 55%. This morning with Pacific poker only I ran
> at 80% and no sound problems.
>
> Thanks, Glen.
>
> Steve
> 41n
>

> glee wrote:
> >
> > What does the info about the patch say it is for? Does it mention solving any
> > problems?
> >
> > Check your sound card in Device Manager for any conflicts in IRQ or DMA channel.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > "Steve IA" <bringem@home.now> wrote in message
> > > I have a Creative SoundBlaster AudioPLI 128D (WDM) soundcard in my Dell
> > > 400 Win98 PC. Sometimes when I open Quiken or somesuch program with a
> > > opening fanfare I get warbles, skips and distortions of the sound. I
> > > *think* it gets better when I snooze the EZ AV. Does this make sense?
> > > Besides the program opening skips, sometimes I lose the sounds in the
> > > middle of a session of playing online Pacific poker. They aren't
> > > necessary, I know, but are a nice touch.
> > > There is a patch for the sound driver recommended for download at the
> > > Dell site, but it's HUGE (16848KB) and I don't want to spend the time at
> > > DU speed if it's not going to help. Any suggestions or comments? Thanks
> > > Steve
> > > 41N

Well, I reinstalled the drivers from my files, and no change. Thanks for
the thoughts
Steve
41N

glee wrote:

> Try reinstalling the patch.
> I suppose it could be a resources issue, but it shouldn't. Sound should not be
> affected unless the resources are down into the teens, I would think. With a
> SoundBlaster card, it could be anything......
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> "Steve IA" <bringem@home.now> wrote in message news:421A3936.3722896C@home.now...
> > It doesn't say what for, it just says:
> > '7510802.exe Creative Labs Audio PCI 64D and 128D Digital Sound Card
> > (1373 chipset) patch, version 5.12.01.4037b"
> >
> > I googled 7510802.exe looking for a reason to download it and discovered
> > a thread in a forum
> > (http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/163040.html)
> > mentioning it's location when downloaded. I looked there on my PC and
> > already have it!
> > c:\cabs\7510802
> >
> > Device Manager reports no conflicts.
> > I tested PC this morning without 2 browsers and OE6 running and sound
> > was ok. I'm wondering if it's a resource thing? When I run normal (for
> > me) Resources are 45 to 55%. This morning with Pacific poker only I ran
> > at 80% and no sound problems.
> >
> > Thanks, Glen.
> >
> > Steve
> > 41n
> >

> > glee wrote:
> > >
> > > What does the info about the patch say it is for? Does it mention solving any
> > > problems?
> > >
> > > Check your sound card in Device Manager for any conflicts in IRQ or DMA channel.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >
> > > "Steve IA" <bringem@home.now> wrote in message

The sounds you mention are all wave sounds (.wav). Are you having any problems with
other sounds....MIDI, audio CD, .mp3, etc.?
--

"Steve IA" <bringem@home.now> wrote in message news:421B207B.F504332A@home.now...
> Well, I reinstalled the drivers from my files, and no change. Thanks for
> the thoughts
> Steve
> 41N
>
> glee wrote:
> >
> > Try reinstalling the patch.
> > I suppose it could be a resources issue, but it shouldn't. Sound should not be
> > affected unless the resources are down into the teens, I would think. With a
> > SoundBlaster card, it could be anything......
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > "Steve IA" <bringem@home.now> wrote in message
> > > It doesn't say what for, it just says:
> > > '7510802.exe Creative Labs Audio PCI 64D and 128D Digital Sound Card
> > > (1373 chipset) patch, version 5.12.01.4037b"
> > >
> > > I googled 7510802.exe looking for a reason to download it and discovered
> > > a thread in a forum
> > > (http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/163040.html)
> > > mentioning it's location when downloaded. I looked there on my PC and
> > > already have it!
> > > c:\cabs\7510802
> > >
> > > Device Manager reports no conflicts.
> > > I tested PC this morning without 2 browsers and OE6 running and sound
> > > was ok. I'm wondering if it's a resource thing? When I run normal (for
> > > me) Resources are 45 to 55%. This morning with Pacific poker only I ran
> > > at 80% and no sound problems.
> > >
> > > Thanks, Glen.
> > >
> > > Steve
> > > 41n

Not that I've noticed. I've used the "HelpSpot" to check the sounds and
both the midi and wav it tests for are ok. Thanks again.
Steve

glee wrote:

> The sounds you mention are all wave sounds (.wav). Are you having any problems with
> other sounds....MIDI, audio CD, .mp3, etc.?
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> "Steve IA" <bringem@home.now> wrote in message news:421B207B.F504332A@home.now...
> > Well, I reinstalled the drivers from my files, and no change. Thanks for
> > the thoughts
> > Steve
> > 41N
> >
> > glee wrote:
> > >
> > > Try reinstalling the patch.
> > > I suppose it could be a resources issue, but it shouldn't. Sound should not be
> > > affected unless the resources are down into the teens, I would think. With a
> > > SoundBlaster card, it could be anything......
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >
> > > "Steve IA" <bringem@home.now> wrote in message

> any

> channel.

Glen,
I was lying in bed last night and this popped in: About 6 months ago I
was complaining here (or on the OE grouP) about OE6 hanging up
periodically at the end of bringing in new mail, which coincided with
the 'new mail notification'.wav. I disabled that sound in OE and the
problem went away. Can this be a .wav only problem? I'll google this
angle and see if I can find anything relevant.. Thanks.
Steve
41N

Steve IA wrote:

> Not that I've noticed. I've used the "HelpSpot" to check the sounds and
> both the midi and wav it tests for are ok. Thanks again.
> Steve
>
> glee wrote:
> >
> > The sounds you mention are all wave sounds (.wav). Are you having any problems with
> > other sounds....MIDI, audio CD, .mp3, etc.?
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > "Steve IA" <bringem@home.now> wrote in message news:421B207B.F504332A@home.now...
> > > Well, I reinstalled the drivers from my files, and no change. Thanks for
> > > the thoughts
> > > Steve
> > > 41N

> > any

> > channel.

That's why I was asking about other file types....it sounds like a wave file
problem. You may also have a corrupt wave file somewhere.
--

"Steve IA" <bringem@home.now> wrote in message news:421C6BFA.4A14CD0F@home.now...
> Glen,
> I was lying in bed last night and this popped in: About 6 months ago I
> was complaining here (or on the OE grouP) about OE6 hanging up
> periodically at the end of bringing in new mail, which coincided with
> the 'new mail notification'.wav. I disabled that sound in OE and the
> problem went away. Can this be a .wav only problem? I'll google this
> angle and see if I can find anything relevant.. Thanks.
> Steve
> 41N
>
> Steve IA wrote:
> >
> > Not that I've noticed. I've used the "HelpSpot" to check the sounds and
> > both the midi and wav it tests for are ok. Thanks again.
> > Steve
> >
> > glee wrote:
> > >
> > > The sounds you mention are all wave sounds (.wav). Are you having any
problems with
> > > other sounds....MIDI, audio CD, .mp3, etc.?
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >
> > > "Steve IA" <bringem@home.now> wrote in message

With a

> > > any

DMA
> > > channel.

Dell
Thanks

I found some information on what is best described as *choppy* sound,
but no definitive help, at least that I could understand. I guess it's
not *that* important, just annoying. I'll keep looking though.. Thanks
for your help, Glen.
Steve
41N

glee wrote:

> That's why I was asking about other file types....it sounds like a wave file
> problem. You may also have a corrupt wave file somewhere.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> "Steve IA" <bringem@home.now> wrote in message news:421C6BFA.4A14CD0F@home.now...
> > Glen,
> > I was lying in bed last night and this popped in: About 6 months ago I
> > was complaining here (or on the OE grouP) about OE6 hanging up
> > periodically at the end of bringing in new mail, which coincided with
> > the 'new mail notification'.wav. I disabled that sound in OE and the
> > problem went away. Can this be a .wav only problem? I'll google this
> > angle and see if I can find anything relevant.. Thanks.
> > Steve
> > 41N
> >
> > Steve IA wrote:
> > >
> > > Not that I've noticed. I've used the "HelpSpot" to check the sounds and
> > > both the midi and wav it tests for are ok. Thanks again.
> > > Steve

> problems with

> not be
> With a

> solving

> DMA

> Dell
> sense?
> the
> the
> time at
> Thanks

I haven't had a lot of free time this week, to see what I can find regarding this.
I have run across it, quite a while ago, but in that case it was a DMA problem. I
will try to spend more time with it as soon as I can.
--

"Steve IA" <bringem@home.now> wrote in message news:421DC5E2.A760E256@home.now...
> I found some information on what is best described as *choppy* sound,
> but no definitive help, at least that I could understand. I guess it's
> not *that* important, just annoying. I'll keep looking though.. Thanks
> for your help, Glen.
> Steve
> 41N
>
> glee wrote:
> >
> > That's why I was asking about other file types....it sounds like a wave file
> > problem. You may also have a corrupt wave file somewhere.
> > --
> > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > "Steve IA" <bringem@home.now> wrote in message
> > > Glen,
> > > I was lying in bed last night and this popped in: About 6 months ago I
> > > was complaining here (or on the OE grouP) about OE6 hanging up
> > > periodically at the end of bringing in new mail, which coincided with
> > > the 'new mail notification'.wav. I disabled that sound in OE and the
> > > problem went away. Can this be a .wav only problem? I'll google this
> > > angle and see if I can find anything relevant.. Thanks.
> > > Steve
> > > 41N

> > problems with

> > not be
> > With a

> > solving

> > DMA

> > Dell
> > sense?
> > the
> > the
> > time at
> > Thanks

Glen,
Thanks. I found some references to DMA in by snuffling, but it was
offered as an explanation with no fix or work-around offered. Your help
is apprectiated.
Steve
41N

glee wrote:

> I haven't had a lot of free time this week, to see what I can find regarding this.
> I have run across it, quite a while ago, but in that case it was a DMA problem. I
> will try to spend more time with it as soon as I can.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> "Steve IA" <bringem@home.now> wrote in message news:421DC5E2.A760E256@home.now...
> > I found some information on what is best described as *choppy* sound,
> > but no definitive help, at least that I could understand. I guess it's
> > not *that* important, just annoying. I'll keep looking though.. Thanks
> > for your help, Glen.
> > Steve
> > 41N
> >
> > glee wrote:
> > >
> > > That's why I was asking about other file types....it sounds like a wave file
> > > problem. You may also have a corrupt wave file somewhere.
> > > --
> > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > >
> > > "Steve IA" <bringem@home.now> wrote in message