Are lost clusters the same as bad clusters.......

I think out of habit and because it's on my desktop I always use Norton.
I gather that sfc would pick up on damaged system files(question mark).
When I installed win98se back over itself sfc told me something or
other needed to be sorted out but I forget the name of the file and I
read on the microsoft site that it after installation sfc often finds
fault with that particlar file when there is nothing wrong.

--
PSYCHOPIXIE
3 answers Last reply

    If you have lost clusters, it may do your computer some good to defrag the
    HDD. this should move the clusters back to where they should be.

    Hope this helps,
    Aaron Liske

    "PSYCHOPIXIE" wrote:

> [...]
    > > | belong to a file. You typically get Lost Clusters when forced to
    > > reset
    > > | or when Cross-linked files occur--parts of two files get
    > > incorrectly
    > > | linked together as one file, with the other parts that are left
    > > over
    > > | becoming Lost Clusters.
    > > |
    > > | Bad clusters are areas that are physically corrupted--can't be--
    > > read--
    > > in
    > > | part or in whole.
    > > |
    > > | WOE.
    > > | I am going to be a Dan for a second on your above reply gary.
    > > | That was the most Terse and comprehensive explanation I
    > > | have ever read.
    > > | Each line was an edification.
    > > |
    > > | **accolades**
    > > |
    > > | regards Jane
    > >
    > > I'd rather be "a head but no tail" than the other choices he has

    ROFL!! You're kidding, right?

    Defragmenting will do nothing to repair Lost Clusters. They *can't_be*
    repaired except manually, by someone who's familiar with such
    techniques.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Aaron Liske" <programertobe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > > incase---
    > > > it-
    > > > alters and does something naughty but I can't be bothered with
    doing
    > > > that so I skip.
    > > >

    > > > PCR Wrote:-
    > > > "jane" jane@internet.com wrote in message

    Clusters
    > > > are
    > > > middle--
    > > > with
    > > > the
    > > > are no
    > > > those--
    > > > recognizably
    > > > reset
    > > > incorrectly
    > > > over

    > > > read--
    > > > in

    > > > I'd rather be "a head but no tail" than the other choices he has

    Could it have been... setupx.dll...?...

    http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN&LN=EN-US MSKB
    Search "setupx.dll"; Windows 98; Full Text; Exact Phrase; does produce
    many. Better go look, just to see the kind of errors that would pop up
    if you really had a bad one. If you experience no other "setupx.dll"
    problem, then do the easier solution in...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;231793&Product=w98
    Corrupted Setupx.dll After Installing Windows 98 Second Edition
    (231793) - After you install Windows 98 Second Edition, you may be
    notified by the System File Checker tool (SFC) that the Setupx.dll file
    is corrupted.

    Here is how to replace it, if necessary...

    SETUPX.DLL
    Desc: Windows Setup Functions
    Loc: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    Size: 745,168 bytes
    Mod: Friday, April 23, 1999 10:22:00 PM
    Ver: 4.10.2222

    That is old enough (in Win98SE) never to have been modified by an
    update. So, extract it with SFC.

    (1) "START, Run, SFC"
    (2) Bolt "Extract one file from installation disk"
    (3) Enter "SETUPX.DLL" in the "Specify..." box.
    (4) Click "Start".
    (5) It should offer to "Save file in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM".
    If not, make it so.
    (6) In "Restore from", if not already pre-filled, browse to
    (a) Installation CD (likely the Win98 folder) or
    (b) The folder that has your cabs on the hard drive, likely
    "C:\WINDOWS\options\cabs\".
    (7) Click "OK"

    If it discovers the file already exists, it will offer to back it up.
    May as well do so. If it discovers the file is "in use", it will request
    that you reboot to complete the install.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q185836
    System File Checker
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q188186
    SFC baseline
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q192832
    SFC extracts wrong file
    http://www.westelcom.com/users/rogersr/sfc.htm SFC use & problems
    http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/using_sfc.html SFC use & problems

    --
    "PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1kt70d@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    | > MS MVP Shell/User
    | > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | > http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    | >
    | > "PSYCHOPIXIE" PSYCHOPIXIE.1kn6bz@news.win98banter.com wrote in--
    | > message--
    | >
    | > That's good news then. Although does that mean when norton fixes
    | > them-
    | > I-
    | > should be saving the lost clusters rather than deleting(question-
    | > mark).-
    | > Norton does it's whole fixing thing and then asks afterwards what I-
    | > want-
    | > to do with them. I sometimes save and sometimes allow them to be
    | > deleted. Norton also offers to make some sort of back up file--
    | > incase---
    | > it-
    | > alters and does something naughty but I can't be bothered with doing

    | > |
    | > | No, Lost Clusters aren't the same as bad clusters. Lost Clusters
    | > are
    | > | files with a head but no tail, or a tail with no head, or a--
    | > middle--
    | > with
    | > | no head and no tail....to put it simply, somewhere along the line
    | > the
    | > | integrity of the file got broken and the clusters that make it up
    | > are no
    | > | longer associated with each other properly. Lost Clusters are--
    | > those--
    | > | which aren't marked as deleted or empty, but which don't
    | > recognizably
    | > | belong to a file. You typically get Lost Clusters when forced to
    | > reset
    | > | or when Cross-linked files occur--parts of two files get
    | > incorrectly
    | > | linked together as one file, with the other parts that are left
    | > over
    | > | becoming Lost Clusters.
    | > |
    | > | Bad clusters are areas that are physically corrupted--can't be--
    | > read--
    | > in
    | > | part or in whole.
    | > |
    | > | WOE.
    | > | I am going to be a Dan for a second on your above reply gary.
    | > | That was the most Terse and comprehensive explanation I
    | > | have ever read.
    | > | Each line was an edification.
    | > |
    | > | **accolades**
    | > |
    | > | regards Jane
    | >
    | > I'd rather be "a head but no tail" than the other choices he has
    | > offered!
    | >
    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,