Stupid questions, first build useing the Asrock 939SLI32

Greflin

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
When I power on I do not recieve video siginal. The vid card is getting power all of my fans turn and such. I have tried reconnecting all of my cords from the PS. I had this same issue and got the board replaced from newegg and it's still happening.

Should I be able to get video without a hard drive hooked up? Is it possible that I need to format my HD. And can I boot a new pc from a floppy to do this?

When I hook up my HD that I am useing in my current pc, I still get no video. But I do get 2 quick system beeps, then 9 longer beeps. If I understand correctly this is a Parity Error. Which would be something I would need to access the bios to fix?

I have tried each of my 4 x 512 sticks of ram I ordered as well so I do not believe that this is the issue.

Any help would be wonderful.

Thanks.

Greflin

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
From the PS to the MB? yeah I have the normal 20 pin and the 4 pin both connected to the MB. Should I only have the 20?

pat

Expert
From the PS to the MB? yeah I have the normal 20 pin and the 4 pin both connected to the MB. Should I only have the 20?

No, you should have the 20 pins AND the 4 pins with 2 yellow and 2 black wires, no other colors..

the 4 pins that is attached to the main (if you have a 24 pins PSU) is NOT for that purpose.

pat

Expert
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=1930864

This is what I am building my system with.

EDIT: Also, I am useing my current 40gb WD hard drive. Its kinda old but works for now. Is this the problem? wouldnt i still get SOMETHING on the screen even without the HD?

well, maybe the generic PSU is not up to the task..

Anyway.. did you use any brass risers to mount the motherboard in the case or you screwed it right to the case?

pat

Expert
Brass risers. And the Ps works fine in my other system so I don't think this is the issue.

I had a cheap generic 450w PSU that could not power a nforce3 motherboard with a 3000+ and 9600xt... a good 300w did the job .. Don't expect cheap part to perform as good as more expensive ones. Cheap PSU will more likely overheat, make the CPU overheat, kill HDD and cause instability.

I never built a computer from scratch with CHEAP PSU. I always used branded one and still have to get any problem on every single computer I build.

But if you trust your PSU, then just try the motherboard out of the case, on a book with only the CPU and cooling, RAM and video card. this will rule out any grounding issues

TRENDING THREADS