laptop has a DVD player - but no DVD software...

One of our employees has obtained a used Win98 SE laptop. It has a built in
DVD player but does not have any software installed to play DVD's. It does
have WIndows media player but I'm not sure what version and if you pop a DVD
in the drive, nothing authomatically opens up to start playing it.

If you go to Media player there is nothing about it playing DVD's...

Is there a version of Windows Media Player I can download for free which
does play DVD's or is there some other free DVD playing software I could
download for him??

THanks,

Brad

If it is a IBM or Dell you can get software on their respective web sites. Note that it
will work on the vendor's platforms but will not work on another vendor's platform.

DVD Playing in Media Player is WinXP.

--
Dave

"Brad Pears" <donotreply@notreal.com> wrote in message
| One of our employees has obtained a used Win98 SE laptop. It has a built in
| DVD player but does not have any software installed to play DVD's. It does
| have WIndows media player but I'm not sure what version and if you pop a DVD
| in the drive, nothing authomatically opens up to start playing it.
|
| If you go to Media player there is nothing about it playing DVD's...
|
| Is there a version of Windows Media Player I can download for free which
| does play DVD's or is there some other free DVD playing software I could
| download for him??
|
| THanks,
|
| Brad

I am surprised there is no software installed to play DVD's, as I have yet to see a
computer that came with a DVD drive that did not also have the software for playing
them.

WinDVD and PowerDVD are the most popular and full-featured programs, but they are
not free unless you get it with a software bundle for the computer
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

In article <OX7fabEGFHA.1456@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>,
Brad Pears <donotreply@notreal.com> wrote:
>One of our employees has obtained a used Win98 SE laptop. It has a built in
>DVD player but does not have any software installed to play DVD's. It does
>have WIndows media player but I'm not sure what version and if you pop a DVD
>in the drive, nothing authomatically opens up to start playing it.
>
>If you go to Media player there is nothing about it playing DVD's...
>
>Is there a version of Windows Media Player I can download for free which
>does play DVD's or is there some other free DVD playing software I could
>download for him??

Media Player Classic.

No install, codecs built in.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=82303&package_id=84358

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip16.htm#FDP
Free DVD player from MICROSOFT.

You people answering these question are a bunch of idiots with no
comprehension of the past.

"Brad Pears" <donotreply@notreal.com> wrote in message
> One of our employees has obtained a used Win98 SE laptop. It has a built
in
> DVD player but does not have any software installed to play DVD's. It does
> have WIndows media player but I'm not sure what version and if you pop a
DVD
> in the drive, nothing authomatically opens up to start playing it.
>
> If you go to Media player there is nothing about it playing DVD's...
>
> Is there a version of Windows Media Player I can download for free which
> does play DVD's or is there some other free DVD playing software I could
> download for him??
>
> THanks,
>
> Brad

Try using it before you recommend it.
--

Brad Pears wrote:

> One of our employees has obtained a used Win98 SE laptop. It has a built in
> DVD player but does not have any software installed to play DVD's. It does
> have WIndows media player but I'm not sure what version and if you pop a DVD
> in the drive, nothing authomatically opens up to start playing it.
>
> If you go to Media player there is nothing about it playing DVD's...
>
> Is there a version of Windows Media Player I can download for free which
> does play DVD's or is there some other free DVD playing software I could
> download for him??
>
> THanks,
>
> Brad

Correct, running 98SE, there's no native DVD support in Media Player. XP will
play DVDs using MediaPlayer. One of the better(but not free) players is
PowerDVD.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.