Cursor becomes unresponsive

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 22, 2005 4:31:22 AM

I have a system that is running Win98SE, Sometimes, the cursor does not
respond to movement of the mouse, sometimes cursor will not move, sometimes
moves vary slowly. Each episode last several seconds, but can't seem to
correlate anything in particular that might be making this happen. Ideas?

More about : cursor unresponsive

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 4:31:23 AM

First make certain that your system is free from malware. See my article
on Security, link in my sig.

This sounds like something in the background is periodically hogging the
processor. It can be a "legit" item, like MS Office Find Fast search
indexer, (if such an abomination can be called "legit.") Might be
Critical Updates Notification, might be any of a number of "legitimate"
background apps. Or, it might be flaky hardware.

But before hunting down well-known and "legitimate" background apps, or
trying to trouble-shoot hardware, make sure your system is clean of
malware and up to date. Then, if it's still happening, study up on the
other article in my sig, "Clean Boot--What it is and why you need it"
and after running these procedures and performing maintenance, you'll be
familiar with at least one of the principle tools used in
trouble-shooting..

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Tom Harnsberger" <t.harnsberger@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I have a system that is running Win98SE, Sometimes, the cursor does
not
> respond to movement of the mouse, sometimes cursor will not move,
sometimes
> moves vary slowly. Each episode last several seconds, but can't seem
> correlate anything in particular that might be making this happen.
Ideas?

Anonymous
February 22, 2005 4:31:23 AM

"Tom Harnsberger" <t.harnsberger@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> I have a system that is running Win98SE, Sometimes, the cursor does not
> respond to movement of the mouse, sometimes cursor will not move,
sometimes
> moves vary slowly. Each episode last several seconds, but can't seem to
> correlate anything in particular that might be making this happen. Ideas?

First find out if it is hardware or software.
Hardware is easier: clean or replace the mouse.

Check software (mouse drivers). Does the
cursor behave like this in Safe Mode (no special
drivers) ??

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Tom: Please provide more information. Does this happen on the desktop?
does this happen when in a special program? Does this happen in any
program? Is the harddrive light flashing when this happens? Etc.

!