Cursor becomes unresponsive

I have a system that is running Win98SE, Sometimes, the cursor does not
respond to movement of the mouse, sometimes cursor will not move, sometimes
moves vary slowly. Each episode last several seconds, but can't seem to
correlate anything in particular that might be making this happen. Ideas?
3 answers Last reply
More about cursor unresponsive

    First make certain that your system is free from malware. See my article
    on Security, link in my sig.

    This sounds like something in the background is periodically hogging the
    processor. It can be a "legit" item, like MS Office Find Fast search
    indexer, (if such an abomination can be called "legit.") Might be
    Critical Updates Notification, might be any of a number of "legitimate"
    background apps. Or, it might be flaky hardware.

    But before hunting down well-known and "legitimate" background apps, or
    trying to trouble-shoot hardware, make sure your system is clean of
    malware and up to date. Then, if it's still happening, study up on the
    other article in my sig, "Clean Boot--What it is and why you need it"
    and after running these procedures and performing maintenance, you'll be
    familiar with at least one of the principle tools used in
    trouble-shooting..

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Tom Harnsberger" <t.harnsberger@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > I have a system that is running Win98SE, Sometimes, the cursor does
    not
    > respond to movement of the mouse, sometimes cursor will not move,
    sometimes
    > moves vary slowly. Each episode last several seconds, but can't seem
    > correlate anything in particular that might be making this happen.
    Ideas?

    "Tom Harnsberger" <t.harnsberger@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

    > I have a system that is running Win98SE, Sometimes, the cursor does not
    > respond to movement of the mouse, sometimes cursor will not move,
    sometimes
    > moves vary slowly. Each episode last several seconds, but can't seem to
    > correlate anything in particular that might be making this happen. Ideas?

    First find out if it is hardware or software.
    Hardware is easier: clean or replace the mouse.

    Check software (mouse drivers). Does the
    cursor behave like this in Safe Mode (no special
    drivers) ??

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Tom: Please provide more information. Does this happen on the desktop?
    does this happen when in a special program? Does this happen in any
    program? Is the harddrive light flashing when this happens? Etc.

    "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
    > "Tom Harnsberger" <t.harnsberger@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> I have a system that is running Win98SE, Sometimes, the cursor does not
    >> respond to movement of the mouse, sometimes cursor will not move,
    > sometimes
    >> moves vary slowly. Each episode last several seconds, but can't seem to
    >> correlate anything in particular that might be making this happen.
    >> Ideas?
    >
    > First find out if it is hardware or software.
    > Hardware is easier: clean or replace the mouse.
    >
    > Check software (mouse drivers). Does the
    > cursor behave like this in Safe Mode (no special
    > drivers) ??
    >
    > --
    > Don Phillipson
    > Carlsbad Springs