Lacking privacy in internet searches

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
February 21, 2005 8:33:02 PM

My computer running windows 98 and updates, saves all searches in the
"search" window on Yahoo and Google and any other search I perfrom. How can
I prevent that and clean up the old searches so when someone else uses my
computer at home it is not revealed?
Thanks,
Warren
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 10:02:02 AM

warren wrote:

> My computer running windows 98 and updates, saves all searches in the
> "search" window on Yahoo and Google and any other search I perfrom. How can
> I prevent that and clean up the old searches so when someone else uses my
> computer at home it is not revealed?
> Thanks,

You can't delete these saved searches. They are not saved on your
computer but on computers at the companies whose searchengines you use.
They are associated back to your computer through the cookies you
(knowingly?) accepted to be installed on your computer while using these
searchengines.

(Innumerable commercial enterprises are tracking every move you make,
profiling your behaviour for their own benefit. Offline & Online)

Spit out the cookies you have alredy swallowed and decline any new
offers unless you really *really* need them. If you use Internet
Explorer as your web-browser run the Internet Options Control
Panel-applet, look under the General and Privacy tabs and adjust the
settings. Tip: The questionmark-button in the upper right corner of
windows is usefull.

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

That's just not the case. Any forms entries, including search engine
entries, are only saved by Autocomplete functions in IE/Explorer.

Test it yourself. Go to Yahoo! or Google, with all Autocomplete
functions disabled, do a search, close all IE windows, go back and check
it out.

Cookies do a lot of things, but that isn't usually one of them.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message
> warren wrote:
>
> > My computer running windows 98 and updates, saves all searches in
the
> > "search" window on Yahoo and Google and any other search I perfrom.
How can
> > I prevent that and clean up the old searches so when someone else
uses my
> > computer at home it is not revealed?
> > Thanks,
>
> You can't delete these saved searches. They are not saved on your
> computer but on computers at the companies whose searchengines you
use.
> They are associated back to your computer through the cookies you
> (knowingly?) accepted to be installed on your computer while using
these
> searchengines.
>
> (Innumerable commercial enterprises are tracking every move you make,
> profiling your behaviour for their own benefit. Offline & Online)
>
> Spit out the cookies you have alredy swallowed and decline any new
> offers unless you really *really* need them. If you use Internet
> Explorer as your web-browser run the Internet Options Control
> Panel-applet, look under the General and Privacy tabs and adjust the
> settings. Tip: The questionmark-button in the upper right corner of
> windows is usefull.
>
> --
> Please followup in newsgroup.
> E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
Related resources
February 23, 2005 8:47:58 AM

Would spyware/tracking oookies be able to do this tracking function, Gary or
would the user have to have a vulnerability in their system through a bad
program or spyware or malware, etc.? Thanks in advance for your reply.

:
: Test it yourself. Go to Yahoo! or Google, with all Autocomplete
: functions disabled, do a search, close all IE windows, go back and check
: it out.
:
: Cookies do a lot of things, but that isn't usually one of them.
:
: --
: Gary S. Terhune
: MS MVP Shell/User
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
:
: "... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message
: news:KNASd.130931$dP1.470014@newsc.telia.net...
: > warren wrote:
: >
[...]
: > --
: > Please followup in newsgroup.
: > E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
:
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 10:35:25 AM

Yes, malicious software (adware/spyware) might use cookies to store this
knowledge, but they would *not* typically also auto-complete anything in
forms. Instead, if you entered a search request at some search engine,
the adware might pop up an advertisement related to what you are
currently searching for--or it may even replace the search engine with
its own.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote in message
> [...]

> : >
> : > (Innumerable commercial enterprises are tracking every move you
make,
> : > profiling your behaviour for their own benefit. Offline & Online)
> : >
> : > Spit out the cookies you have alredy swallowed and decline any new
> : > offers unless you really *really* need them. If you use Internet
> : > Explorer as your web-browser run the Internet Options Control
> : > Panel-applet, look under the General and Privacy tabs and adjust
the
> : > settings. Tip: The questionmark-button in the upper right corner
of
> : > windows is usefull.
> : >
> : > --
> : > Please followup in newsgroup.
> : > E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

February 23, 2005 2:31:09 PM

Great, thank you.

news:o TOi00bGFHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
: > news:ewRfxfLGFHA.1456@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > : That's just not the case. Any forms entries, including search engine
: > : entries, are only saved by Autocomplete functions in IE/Explorer.
: > :
: > : Test it yourself. Go to Yahoo! or Google, with all Autocomplete
: > : functions disabled, do a search, close all IE windows, go back and
: check
: > : it out.
: > :
: > : Cookies do a lot of things, but that isn't usually one of them.
: > :
: > : --
: > : Gary S. Terhune
: > : MS MVP Shell/User
: > : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
: > : http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
: > :
: > : "... et al." <look@sig.bcause.this.is.invalid> wrote in message
: > : news:KNASd.130931$dP1.470014@newsc.telia.net...
: > : > warren wrote:
: > : >
[...]
: > : > --
: > : > Please followup in newsgroup.
: > : > E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
: > :
: >
: >
:
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 8:07:24 AM

Gary S. Terhune wrote:

> That's just not the case. Any forms entries, including search engine
> entries, are only saved by Autocomplete functions in IE/Explorer.
>
> Test it yourself. Go to Yahoo! or Google, with all Autocomplete
> functions disabled, do a search, close all IE windows, go back and check
> it out.

Nowadays i have both Firefox's 'Saved Form Information' and IE's
AutoComplete disabled and my cookie handling set to disabled or to a
per-session basis in both programs.

> Cookies do a lot of things, but that isn't usually one of them.

I am certain, err.., i *was* certain that once upon a time i disabled
some site from remembering my past searches by purging my cookies. Maybe
i plain misremember or perhaps i purged my saved forminfo at the same
time without realising what did what...

Keeping cookies disabled and testing with the 'Saved Form Information'
option in Firefox, and doing a few searches at Google quickly shows that
you are right and i was wrong.
In IE then, that info can then be enabled/disabled and saved history
cleared under Internet Options: Content Tab : AutoComplete... button.

I'm sorry for forwarding my confusion regarding cookies on the matter.

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 8:07:25 AM

Weirdly enough, you're right about the Address bar list. That list is
actually a function of History in IE, and all the Autocomplete option of
"Save Web Addresses" does is control whether or not it autocompletes,
either using the drop-down list or "inline autocomplete" if "Use Inline
Autocomplete" is enabled in Advanced settings.

That particular Autocomplete function is one of the more disjointed
settings in IE. Typical result of idiot-proofing run amok.

--

> Gary S. Terhune wrote:
>
> > That's just not the case. Any forms entries, including search engine
> > entries, are only saved by Autocomplete functions in IE/Explorer.
> >
> > Test it yourself. Go to Yahoo! or Google, with all Autocomplete
> > functions disabled, do a search, close all IE windows, go back and
check
> > it out.
>
> Nowadays i have both Firefox's 'Saved Form Information' and IE's
> AutoComplete disabled and my cookie handling set to disabled or to a
> per-session basis in both programs.
>

> > Cookies do a lot of things, but that isn't usually one of them.
>
> I am certain, err.., i *was* certain that once upon a time i disabled
> some site from remembering my past searches by purging my cookies.
Maybe
> i plain misremember or perhaps i purged my saved forminfo at the same
> time without realising what did what...
>
> Keeping cookies disabled and testing with the 'Saved Form Information'
> option in Firefox, and doing a few searches at Google quickly shows
that
> you are right and i was wrong.
> In IE then, that info can then be enabled/disabled and saved history
> cleared under Internet Options: Content Tab : AutoComplete... button.
>
> I'm sorry for forwarding my confusion regarding cookies on the matter.
>
> --
> Please followup in newsgroup.
> E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 11:53:54 AM

Gary S. Terhune wrote:

> Weirdly enough, you're right about the Address bar list.

Not sure i was right about anything. ;-/
I wrote about cookies involvment with history lists [in web-forms] and
was shown that that wasn't so.

> ... about the Address bar list. That list is
> actually a function of History in IE, and all the Autocomplete option of
> "Save Web Addresses" does is control whether or not it autocompletes,
> either using the drop-down list or "inline autocomplete" if "Use Inline
> Autocomplete" is enabled in Advanced settings.
>
> That particular Autocomplete function is one of the more disjointed
> settings in IE. Typical result of idiot-proofing run amok.

Ok, thanks for explaining .. and FYI it seems that the Address bar list
functions similarly in Firefox. It's a function of the 'History' option,
and not disabled by disabling 'Saved Form Information'.

I really hate this drop-down list popping up every time i start typing
an URL in the address bar. (Places i want to go to often i already have
bookmarked and have accessible through the Bookmarks-menu.) The only way
to disable this annoyance is a hack to make the file the addresses are
saved into, 'history.dat' iirc, to read-only. But when using that hack i
noted i couldn't 'Clear' my Firefox cache, and i want to be able to to
that as well on occasion.

--
Please followup in newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 11:53:55 AM

You could use a pair of BAT files to remove and then restore the R/O
attribute for that DAT file. More complicated BAT file would simply
toggle the attribute. I don't know BAT file commands as well as I do
scripting, so I'd use script. I don't know the location of that
particular DAT file, so I'll use a bogus path. You'll have to replace
"C:\Program Files\Test\Test.dat" with the correct path, making sure to
retain the double-quotation marks.

++++++++++++++++++
' Begin Copy here
Option Explicit
Dim f, x
With CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set f = .GetFile("C:\Program Files\Test\test.dat")
x = f.Attributes
Do Until x = 0 Or x = 1
x = x - 2
Loop
If x = 1 Then
f.Attributes = f.Attributes - 1
Else:
f.Attributes = f.Attributes + 1
End If
End With
'End copy here
+++++++++++++++++++++

Copy *between* the ++++++ lines and paste into a new text file, then
name it whatever you want with VBS extension. Strangely enough, there is
no straight manner in which to determine if a number is even or odd in
VB Scripting. There is in VBA.

If the Firefox cache is anything like IE's cache, you don't want to
directly delete the cache files (screws up the DAT file.) But if there
is a command line that will do the job, that could be added to the
script, plus some changes in the above logic, to do it all in one click
from the Quick Launch toolbar.

--

> I really hate this drop-down list popping up every time i start typing
> an URL in the address bar. (Places i want to go to often i already
have
> bookmarked and have accessible through the Bookmarks-menu.) The only
way
> to disable this annoyance is a hack to make the file the addresses are
> saved into, 'history.dat' iirc, to read-only. But when using that hack
> noted i couldn't 'Clear' my Firefox cache, and i want to be able to to
> that as well on occasion.

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 11:53:56 AM

On 2/24/2005 4:19 AM, Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> You could use a pair of BAT files to remove and then restore the R/O
> attribute for that DAT file. More complicated BAT file would simply
> toggle the attribute. I don't know BAT file commands as well as I do
> scripting, so I'd use script. I don't know the location of that
> particular DAT file, so I'll use a bogus path. You'll have to replace
> "C:\Program Files\Test\Test.dat" with the correct path, making sure to
> retain the double-quotation marks.
>
> ++++++++++++++++++
> ' Begin Copy here
> Option Explicit
> Dim f, x
> With CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
> Set f = .GetFile("C:\Program Files\Test\test.dat")
> x = f.Attributes
> Do Until x = 0 Or x = 1
> x = x - 2
> Loop
> If x = 1 Then
> f.Attributes = f.Attributes - 1
> Else:
> f.Attributes = f.Attributes + 1
> End If
> End With
> 'End copy here
> +++++++++++++++++++++
>
> Copy *between* the ++++++ lines and paste into a new text file, then
> name it whatever you want with VBS extension. Strangely enough, there is
> no straight manner in which to determine if a number is even or odd in
> VB Scripting. There is in VBA.

Sure there is, just use the MOD operator. result = number Mod 2
If result is 0 then the number is even. If result is 1 then the number
is odd.

> If the Firefox cache is anything like IE's cache, you don't want to
> directly delete the cache files (screws up the DAT file.) But if there
> is a command line that will do the job, that could be added to the
> script, plus some changes in the above logic, to do it all in one click
> from the Quick Launch toolbar.

Hope this helps,

CEF
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 11:53:57 AM

"Charles E Finkenbiner" <CharlesEF_@_MailandNews.Com> wrote in message
> > Copy *between* the ++++++ lines and paste into a new text file, then
> > name it whatever you want with VBS extension. Strangely enough,
there is
> > no straight manner in which to determine if a number is even or odd
in
> > VB Scripting. There is in VBA.
> >

> Sure there is, just use the MOD operator. result = number Mod 2
> If result is 0 then the number is even. If result is 1 then the
number
> is odd.

Thanks! I knew there had to be a simpler way, but couldn't find it. VB
Scripting is the poor cousin of MS's programming families, with truly
sparse (and/or dispersed) documentation. But even the MOD solution isn't
as straightforward as VBA's IsEven or IsOdd properties.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

Thanks Gary and et. al. -- I changed my autocomplete settings to manual
(unchecked) and cleared forms based on your feedback in my 98SE os although
Mozilla Firefox is my primary browser. I still want to keep all Windows
components fully updated and secure based upon your feedback, Gary. :>

news:o awrlhjGFHA.3928@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
[...]
: > Gary S. Terhune wrote:
: >
: > > That's just not the case. Any forms entries, including search engine
: > > entries, are only saved by Autocomplete functions in IE/Explorer.
: > >
[...]
February 24, 2005 1:25:51 PM

On 2/24/2005 7:15 AM, Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> "Charles E Finkenbiner" <CharlesEF_@_MailandNews.Com> wrote in message
>
>>>Copy *between* the ++++++ lines and paste into a new text file, then
>>>name it whatever you want with VBS extension. Strangely enough,
>
> there is
>
>>>no straight manner in which to determine if a number is even or odd
>
> in
>
>>>VB Scripting. There is in VBA.
>>>

>>Sure there is, just use the MOD operator. result = number Mod 2
>>If result is 0 then the number is even. If result is 1 then the
>
> number
>
>>is odd.
>

> Thanks! I knew there had to be a simpler way, but couldn't find it. VB
> Scripting is the poor cousin of MS's programming families, with truly
> sparse (and/or dispersed) documentation. But even the MOD solution isn't
> as straightforward as VBA's IsEven or IsOdd properties.

No problem, create your own IsEven() and IsOdd() functions and use them
just as you would in VBA. Example:

Option Explicit
Dim x, y

x = 16
MsgBox(IsEven(x)) ' Displays True
If(IsEven(x)) Then
MsgBox(x & " is even") ' Displays "16 is even"
End If

y = 23
MsgBox(IsOdd(y)) ' Displays True
If(IsOdd(y)) Then
MsgBox(y & " is odd") ' Display "23 is odd"
End If

Function IsEven(n)
If((n Mod 2) = 0) Then
IsEven = True
Exit Function
End If
IsEven = False
End Function

Function IsOdd(n)
If((n Mod 2) = 1) Then
IsOdd = True
Exit Function
End If
IsOdd = False
End Function

But, I do agree that in VBA these functions are written for you. In
VBScript you have to 'roll your own' functions.

Hope this helps,

CEF
!