Are lost clusters the same as bad clusters.......

Yes that was the file. I just told windows it was fine as I read that
was common for that to be picked up afterwards. I guess I could give it
a go though but I always get confused with extracting a file from
somewhere. I will follow your instructions and see what happens :)

--
PSYCHOPIXIE
1 answer Last reply

    OK. If all you have against the file is SFC's message, then you did
    right. Otherwise, read through the articles at MSKB,-- &/or replace the
    file, especially if it doesn't look like mine & you are Win98SE. I don't
    see "setupx.dll" has ever been legitimately updated, judging by it's Mod
    Date.

    --
    "PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1kul0e@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

> [...]
    | >
    | > That is old enough (in Win98SE) never to have been modified by an
    | > update. So, extract it with SFC.
    | >
    | > (1) "START, Run, SFC"
    | > (2) Bolt "Extract one file from installation disk"
    | > (3) Enter "SETUPX.DLL" in the "Specify..." box.
    | > (4) Click "Start".
    | > (5) It should offer to "Save file in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM".
    | > If not, make it so.
    | > (6) In "Restore from", if not already pre-filled, browse to
    | > (a) Installation CD (likely the Win98 folder) or
    | > (b) The folder that has your cabs on the hard drive, likely
    | > "C:\WINDOWS\options\cabs\".
    | > (7) Click "OK"
    | >
    | > If it discovers the file already exists, it will offer to back it
    up.
    | > May as well do so. If it discovers the file is "in use", it will
    | > request
    | > that you reboot to complete the install.

    | > |
    | > | I think out of habit and because it's on my desktop I always use
    | > Norton.
    | > | I gather that sfc would pick up on damaged system files(question
    | > mark).
    | > | When I installed win98se back over itself sfc told me something or
    | > | other needed to be sorted out but I forget the name of the file
    and
    | > | read on the microsoft site that it after installation sfc often
    | > finds
    | > | fault with that particlar file when there is nothing wrong.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Gary S. Terhune Wrote:
    | > | Lost Clusters can be part of *any* file. But if it's a system
    file,
    | > you
    | > | aren't likely to be able to put it back together. The correct
    | > | procedure
    | > | is to extract a new copy from Windows or Internet Explorer Setup
    | > | files.
    | > | (Or from elsewhere, actually--wherever the version of he file you
    | > have
    | > | came from.)
    | > |
    | > | Windows Scandisk picks up on Lost Clusters just fine.
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Gary S. Terhune
    | > | MS MVP Shell/User
    | > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    | > |
    | > | "PSYCHOPIXIE" PSYCHOPIXIE.1ko3ny@news.win98banter.com wrote in
    | > message
    | > |
    | > | So can lost clusters be part of something important then? ie part
    | > of
    | > | essential windows program? I will 'save' from now on when norton-
    | > | starts-
    | > | repairing. Does the windows scan disk program pick up on lost
    | > | clusters
    | > | or am I better off sticking to my norton disk doctor?
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | Gary S. Terhune Wrote:-
    | > | It *is* possible to put these files back together. But you'd
    either
    | > | have
    | > | to learn how, yourself, or take it to a pro. You'd also want to
    | > save
    | > | copies of cross-linked files before repairing them.
    | > |
    | > | I look into the files using a plain-text editor in order to
    | > possibly
    | > | find out what they are. Particularly if they are image of text
    | > | documents, even lost fragments can contain a significant amount
    of
    | > | data
    | > | that can be used as is.
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Gary S. Terhune
    | > | MS MVP Shell/User
    | > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
    | > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
    | > |
    | > | "PSYCHOPIXIE" PSYCHOPIXIE.1kn6bz@news.win98banter.com wrote in--
    | > | message--
    | > |
    | > | That's good news then. Although does that mean when norton fixes
    | > | them-
    | > | I-
    | > | should be saving the lost clusters rather than deleting(question-
    | > | mark).-
    | > | Norton does it's whole fixing thing and then asks afterwards what
    | > I-
    | > | want-
    | > | to do with them. I sometimes save and sometimes allow them to be
    | > | deleted. Norton also offers to make some sort of back up file--
    | > | incase---
    | > | it-
    | > | alters and does something naughty but I can't be bothered with
    | > doing
    | > | that so I skip.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | PCR Wrote:-
    | > | "jane" jane@internet.com wrote in message
    | > | |
    Clusters
    | > | are
    | > | middle--
    | > | with
    | > line
    | > | the
    | > up
    | > | are no
    | > | those--
    | > | recognizably
    | > | reset
    | > | incorrectly
    | > | over
    | > | |
    | > | read--
    | > | in
    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > | |
    | > |
    | > | I'd rather be "a head but no tail" than the other choices he has
    | > | offered!
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | Thanks or Good Luck,