Are lost clusters the same as bad clusters.......

Yes that was the file. I just told windows it was fine as I read that
was common for that to be picked up afterwards. I guess I could give it
a go though but I always get confused with extracting a file from
somewhere. I will follow your instructions and see what happens :)

--
PSYCHOPIXIE

OK. If all you have against the file is SFC's message, then you did
right. Otherwise, read through the articles at MSKB,-- &/or replace the
file, especially if it doesn't look like mine & you are Win98SE. I don't
see "setupx.dll" has ever been legitimately updated, judging by it's Mod
Date.

--
"PSYCHOPIXIE" <PSYCHOPIXIE.1kul0e@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

> [...]
| >
| > That is old enough (in Win98SE) never to have been modified by an
| > update. So, extract it with SFC.
| >
| > (1) "START, Run, SFC"
| > (2) Bolt "Extract one file from installation disk"
| > (3) Enter "SETUPX.DLL" in the "Specify..." box.
| > (4) Click "Start".
| > (5) It should offer to "Save file in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM".
| > If not, make it so.
| > (6) In "Restore from", if not already pre-filled, browse to
| > (a) Installation CD (likely the Win98 folder) or
| > (b) The folder that has your cabs on the hard drive, likely
| > "C:\WINDOWS\options\cabs\".
| > (7) Click "OK"
| >
| > If it discovers the file already exists, it will offer to back it
up.
| > May as well do so. If it discovers the file is "in use", it will
| > request
| > that you reboot to complete the install.

| > |
| > | I think out of habit and because it's on my desktop I always use
| > Norton.
| > | I gather that sfc would pick up on damaged system files(question
| > mark).
| > | When I installed win98se back over itself sfc told me something or
| > | other needed to be sorted out but I forget the name of the file
and
| > | read on the microsoft site that it after installation sfc often
| > finds
| > | fault with that particlar file when there is nothing wrong.
| > |
| > |
| > | Gary S. Terhune Wrote:
| > | Lost Clusters can be part of *any* file. But if it's a system
file,
| > you
| > | aren't likely to be able to put it back together. The correct
| > | procedure
| > | is to extract a new copy from Windows or Internet Explorer Setup
| > | files.
| > | (Or from elsewhere, actually--wherever the version of he file you
| > have
| > | came from.)
| > |
| > | Windows Scandisk picks up on Lost Clusters just fine.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Gary S. Terhune
| > | MS MVP Shell/User
| > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
| > |
| > | "PSYCHOPIXIE" PSYCHOPIXIE.1ko3ny@news.win98banter.com wrote in
| > message
| > |
| > | So can lost clusters be part of something important then? ie part
| > of
| > | essential windows program? I will 'save' from now on when norton-
| > | starts-
| > | repairing. Does the windows scan disk program pick up on lost
| > | clusters
| > | or am I better off sticking to my norton disk doctor?
| > |
| > |
| > | Gary S. Terhune Wrote:-
| > | It *is* possible to put these files back together. But you'd
either
| > | have
| > | to learn how, yourself, or take it to a pro. You'd also want to
| > save
| > | copies of cross-linked files before repairing them.
| > |
| > | I look into the files using a plain-text editor in order to
| > possibly
| > | find out what they are. Particularly if they are image of text
| > | documents, even lost fragments can contain a significant amount
of
| > | data
| > | that can be used as is.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Gary S. Terhune
| > | MS MVP Shell/User
| > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
| > | http://www.grystmill.com/articles/security.htm
| > |
| > | "PSYCHOPIXIE" PSYCHOPIXIE.1kn6bz@news.win98banter.com wrote in--
| > | message--
| > |
| > | That's good news then. Although does that mean when norton fixes
| > | them-
| > | I-
| > | should be saving the lost clusters rather than deleting(question-
| > | mark).-
| > | Norton does it's whole fixing thing and then asks afterwards what
| > I-
| > | want-
| > | to do with them. I sometimes save and sometimes allow them to be
| > | deleted. Norton also offers to make some sort of back up file--
| > | incase---
| > | it-
| > | alters and does something naughty but I can't be bothered with
| > doing
| > | that so I skip.
| > |
| > |
| > | PCR Wrote:-
| > | "jane" jane@internet.com wrote in message
| > | |
Clusters
| > | are
| > | middle--
| > | with
| > line
| > | the
| > up
| > | are no
| > | those--
| > | recognizably
| > | reset
| > | incorrectly
| > | over
| > | |
| > | read--
| > | in
| > | |
| > | |
| > | |
| > |
| > | I'd rather be "a head but no tail" than the other choices he has
| > | offered!
| > |
| > | --
| > | Thanks or Good Luck,