Automatic Login?

September 11, 2004 12:15:49 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I already had this set up, but on one of my computers the log-on screen is
coming on again at startup, and I cannot recall how I set it up before not
to show that screen, nor can I find it in the help file.

I am the only user of my two computers, both running XP Pro. Therefore,
there is no need for the user to "log-in", etc. I would like Windows to be
able to start up without any interaction from me.

Yet now, when I start up Win XP on one of my computers, I get the screen for
the "Administrator" (me) to enter his password. I just click "OK" or press
the Enter key without entering a password (as I never set a password), and
Windows starts up. However, I would like to remove that step, no dialog box
asking for password, and no "Welcome" screen either. That's how I had it set
before, how my other computer is set-up, and I don't know what changed this
one, that it presents the "Enter Password" screen on startup.

How do I remove that, and have Windows start up automatically?

Thank you to anyone who is of assistance. I appreciate it.

More about : automatic login

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 8:24:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi

If you want to bypass the Welcome screen, try this:

From Start>Run type in

control userpasswords2

then uncheck 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer' and click 'Apply'. On the next screen - 'Automatically Log On' -
delete the name 'Administrator' from the User name box and enter your
account name and then the password in the next two boxes. OK your way out
and then reboot your system.

Or you can use Tweak UI:

You can download TweakUI from
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powert... and when
installed go to Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI - then go to
Logon>Autologon.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

" MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:o auI9IBmEHA.3816@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I already had this set up, but on one of my computers the log-on screen is
> coming on again at startup, and I cannot recall how I set it up before not
> to show that screen, nor can I find it in the help file.
>
> I am the only user of my two computers, both running XP Pro. Therefore,
> there is no need for the user to "log-in", etc. I would like Windows to be
> able to start up without any interaction from me.
>
> Yet now, when I start up Win XP on one of my computers, I get the screen
> for
> the "Administrator" (me) to enter his password. I just click "OK" or press
> the Enter key without entering a password (as I never set a password), and
> Windows starts up. However, I would like to remove that step, no dialog
> box
> asking for password, and no "Welcome" screen either. That's how I had it
> set
> before, how my other computer is set-up, and I don't know what changed
> this
> one, that it presents the "Enter Password" screen on startup.
>
> How do I remove that, and have Windows start up automatically?
>
> Thank you to anyone who is of assistance. I appreciate it.

Anonymous
September 12, 2004 1:23:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Download TweakUI and use it to enable automatic logon
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
regards,
ssg MS-MVP
pronetworks.org

MS wrote:

> I already had this set up, but on one of my computers the log-on screen is
> coming on again at startup, and I cannot recall how I set it up before not
> to show that screen, nor can I find it in the help file.
>
> I am the only user of my two computers, both running XP Pro. Therefore,
> there is no need for the user to "log-in", etc. I would like Windows to be
> able to start up without any interaction from me.
>
> Yet now, when I start up Win XP on one of my computers, I get the screen for
> the "Administrator" (me) to enter his password. I just click "OK" or press
> the Enter key without entering a password (as I never set a password), and
> Windows starts up. However, I would like to remove that step, no dialog box
> asking for password, and no "Welcome" screen either. That's how I had it set
> before, how my other computer is set-up, and I don't know what changed this
> one, that it presents the "Enter Password" screen on startup.
>
> How do I remove that, and have Windows start up automatically?
>
> Thank you to anyone who is of assistance. I appreciate it.

September 12, 2004 1:23:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thank you.

I have TweakUI installed, but forgot about that command there. Thanks.

!