Automatic Login?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I already had this set up, but on one of my computers the log-on screen is
coming on again at startup, and I cannot recall how I set it up before not
to show that screen, nor can I find it in the help file.

I am the only user of my two computers, both running XP Pro. Therefore,
there is no need for the user to "log-in", etc. I would like Windows to be
able to start up without any interaction from me.

Yet now, when I start up Win XP on one of my computers, I get the screen for
the "Administrator" (me) to enter his password. I just click "OK" or press
the Enter key without entering a password (as I never set a password), and
Windows starts up. However, I would like to remove that step, no dialog box
asking for password, and no "Welcome" screen either. That's how I had it set
before, how my other computer is set-up, and I don't know what changed this
one, that it presents the "Enter Password" screen on startup.

How do I remove that, and have Windows start up automatically?

Thank you to anyone who is of assistance. I appreciate it.
3 answers Last reply
More about automatic login
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi

    If you want to bypass the Welcome screen, try this:

    From Start>Run type in

    control userpasswords2

    then uncheck 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this
    computer' and click 'Apply'. On the next screen - 'Automatically Log On' -
    delete the name 'Administrator' from the User name box and enter your
    account name and then the password in the next two boxes. OK your way out
    and then reboot your system.

    Or you can use Tweak UI:

    You can download TweakUI from
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp and when
    installed go to Programs>Powertoys for Windows XP>Tweak UI - then go to
    Logon>Autologon.

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    " MS" <ms@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I already had this set up, but on one of my computers the log-on screen is
    > coming on again at startup, and I cannot recall how I set it up before not
    > to show that screen, nor can I find it in the help file.
    >
    > I am the only user of my two computers, both running XP Pro. Therefore,
    > there is no need for the user to "log-in", etc. I would like Windows to be
    > able to start up without any interaction from me.
    >
    > Yet now, when I start up Win XP on one of my computers, I get the screen
    > for
    > the "Administrator" (me) to enter his password. I just click "OK" or press
    > the Enter key without entering a password (as I never set a password), and
    > Windows starts up. However, I would like to remove that step, no dialog
    > box
    > asking for password, and no "Welcome" screen either. That's how I had it
    > set
    > before, how my other computer is set-up, and I don't know what changed
    > this
    > one, that it presents the "Enter Password" screen on startup.
    >
    > How do I remove that, and have Windows start up automatically?
    >
    > Thank you to anyone who is of assistance. I appreciate it.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Download TweakUI and use it to enable automatic logon
    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP
    pronetworks.org

    MS wrote:

    > I already had this set up, but on one of my computers the log-on screen is
    > coming on again at startup, and I cannot recall how I set it up before not
    > to show that screen, nor can I find it in the help file.
    >
    > I am the only user of my two computers, both running XP Pro. Therefore,
    > there is no need for the user to "log-in", etc. I would like Windows to be
    > able to start up without any interaction from me.
    >
    > Yet now, when I start up Win XP on one of my computers, I get the screen for
    > the "Administrator" (me) to enter his password. I just click "OK" or press
    > the Enter key without entering a password (as I never set a password), and
    > Windows starts up. However, I would like to remove that step, no dialog box
    > asking for password, and no "Welcome" screen either. That's how I had it set
    > before, how my other computer is set-up, and I don't know what changed this
    > one, that it presents the "Enter Password" screen on startup.
    >
    > How do I remove that, and have Windows start up automatically?
    >
    > Thank you to anyone who is of assistance. I appreciate it.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thank you.

    I have TweakUI installed, but forgot about that command there. Thanks.

    "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Download TweakUI and use it to enable automatic logon
    > regards,
    > ssg MS-MVP
    > pronetworks.org
    >
    > MS wrote:
    >
    > > I already had this set up, but on one of my computers the log-on screen
    is
    > > coming on again at startup, and I cannot recall how I set it up before
    not
    > > to show that screen, nor can I find it in the help file.
    > >
    > > I am the only user of my two computers, both running XP Pro. Therefore,
    > > there is no need for the user to "log-in", etc. I would like Windows to
    be
    > > able to start up without any interaction from me.
    > >
    > > Yet now, when I start up Win XP on one of my computers, I get the screen
    for
    > > the "Administrator" (me) to enter his password. I just click "OK" or
    press
    > > the Enter key without entering a password (as I never set a password),
    and
    > > Windows starts up. However, I would like to remove that step, no dialog
    box
    > > asking for password, and no "Welcome" screen either. That's how I had it
    set
    > > before, how my other computer is set-up, and I don't know what changed
    this
    > > one, that it presents the "Enter Password" screen on startup.
    > >
    > > How do I remove that, and have Windows start up automatically?
    > >
    > > Thank you to anyone who is of assistance. I appreciate it.

Login Computers Microsoft Windows XP