Conroe to be 40% of Intel's desktop supply in Q1 07

Will Intel lose a boatload because of Conroe?

• Total voters

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
As I have told everyone, it doesn't help Intel to have a chip that is so much faster than their current offerings that no one wants the current offerings. From the looks of it if you want Conroe before 07 you will be getting a Dell dude.

So I guess AM2 is safe for awhile. Wouldn't it be funny if AMD put the co processor on the FXs and Opterons? Anyway, this will hurt Intel's bottom line, especially if AMD can charge $1000 and they're charging $500. P4s will be $20 by then which is a heck of a loss.

AMD may need a Rev F2 before Rev G, but then they will still be the enthusiast's choice until 07 when K8L emerges which if it has all the features talked about will make up the difference that Conroe creates.

Quoth the Torch,

Flame On!

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Where is the info to support a statement? I have not heard anything in regards to the avaliability or exclusivity (Retailers only) of Conroe. Give me an information source.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
As I have told everyone, it doesn't help Intel to have a chip that is so much faster than their current offerings that no one wants the current offerings. From the looks of it if you want Conroe before 07 you will be getting a Dell dude.

So I guess AM2 is safe for awhile. Wouldn't it be funny if AMD put the co processor on the FXs and Opterons? Anyway, this will hurt Intel's bottom line, especially if AMD can charge $1000 and they're charging $500. P4s will be $20 by then which is a heck of a loss.

AMD may need a Rev F2 before Rev G, but then they will still be the enthusiast's choice until 07 when K8L emerges which if it has all the features talked about will make up the difference that Conroe creates.

Quoth the Torch,

Flame On!

I assume you mean math co-processor with that in mind that's been around since the original Pentium.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

Quoth the Torch,

Flame On!

I assume you mean math co-processor with that in mind that's been around since the original Pentium.

also math co proc are now called ALU's and are just slapped on the die ALA AMD's Memory controller are they not ? I might be wrong but im like 70% sure they dont even make co processors anymore.... hmmm actualy it seems to me the whole idea is dying with multi cores comming into the main.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Quoth the Torch,

Flame On!

also math co proc are now called ALU's and are just slapped on the die ALA AMD's Memory controller are they not ? I might be wrong but im like 70% sure they dont even make co processors anymore.... hmmm actualy it seems to me the whole idea is dying with multi cores comming into the main.

Word.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Not to hijack this thread or anything.... but maybe Spud knows or some one else I remember reading that the P4's ALU's where double clocked by that I mean if your P4 is running at 4Ghz that the ALU is actualy running at 8Ghz ? I cant imagine thats true but maybe some one knows more then me :) (very good possibility here lol)

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
Not to hijack this thread or anything.... but maybe Spud knows or some one else I remember reading that the P4's ALU's where double clocked by that I mean if your P4 is running at 4Ghz that the ALU is actualy running at 8Ghz ? I cant imagine thats true but maybe some one knows more then me :) (very good possibility here lol)

That is quite true my friend additionally they were 16bit units.