Defragmenting woes

I tried bringing up win98 in safe mode and ran the MS defragmenter
(after running scandisk of course). It runs for hours, gets to about 95%
complete, and then reports "disk contents changed, restarting". What's
going on? There is nothing else running. No AV software, no spyware
detection, no scheduler, no screen saver, or anything else, plus I'm in
safe mode.

--
To reply by email remove "_nospam"
7 answers Last reply

    Chuck wrote:
    > I tried bringing up win98 in safe mode and ran the MS defragmenter
    > (after running scandisk of course). It runs for hours, gets to about
    95%
    > complete, and then reports "disk contents changed, restarting".
    What's
    > going on? There is nothing else running. No AV software, no spyware
    > detection, no scheduler, no screen saver, or anything else, plus I'm
    in
    > safe mode.
    >
    > --
    > To reply by email remove "_nospam"

    You might want to try deleting Windows\Applog folder and moving your
    swap file to another partition. This should stop the changing disk
    contents at least. Applog folder will be recreated and contains no
    valuable information anyway, just cluster mapping of your applications
    for enhanced program launching during defrag which may be causing the
    excessive run time for defrag. Past defrag sessions that were aborted
    also cause excessive run times. You didn't mention it but, how big is
    this partition?

    "Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> wrote in message

    > Chuck wrote:
    >> I tried bringing up win98 in safe mode and ran the MS defragmenter
    >> (after running scandisk of course). It runs for hours, gets to about
    > 95%
    >> complete, and then reports "disk contents changed, restarting".
    > What's
    >> going on? There is nothing else running. No AV software, no spyware
    >> detection, no scheduler, no screen saver, or anything else, plus I'm
    > in
    >> safe mode.
    >>
    >> --
    >> To reply by email remove "_nospam"
    >
    > You might want to try deleting Windows\Applog folder and moving your
    > swap file to another partition. This should stop the changing disk
    > contents at least. Applog folder will be recreated and contains no
    > valuable information anyway, just cluster mapping of your applications
    > for enhanced program launching during defrag which may be causing the
    > excessive run time for defrag. Past defrag sessions that were aborted
    > also cause excessive run times. You didn't mention it but, how big is
    > this partition?

    just as a side note..get the defrag.exe from windows ME ..it is much faster
    for win98

    Lee wrote:
    > Chuck wrote:
    >
    >>I tried bringing up win98 in safe mode and ran the MS defragmenter
    >>(after running scandisk of course). It runs for hours, gets to about
    >
    > 95%
    >
    >>complete, and then reports "disk contents changed, restarting".
    >
    > What's
    >
    >>going on? There is nothing else running. No AV software, no spyware
    >>detection, no scheduler, no screen saver, or anything else, plus I'm
    >
    > in
    >
    >>safe mode.
    >>
    >>--
    >>To reply by email remove "_nospam"
    >

    > You might want to try deleting Windows\Applog folder and moving your
    > swap file to another partition. This should stop the changing disk
    > contents at least. Applog folder will be recreated and contains no
    > valuable information anyway, just cluster mapping of your applications
    > for enhanced program launching during defrag which may be causing the
    > excessive run time for defrag. Past defrag sessions that were aborted
    > also cause excessive run times. You didn't mention it but, how big is
    > this partition?

    6 gig.

    Haggis wrote:
    > "Lee" <melee5@my-deja.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Chuck wrote:
    >>
    >>>I tried bringing up win98 in safe mode and ran the MS defragmenter
    >>>(after running scandisk of course). It runs for hours, gets to about
    >>
    >>95%
    >>
    >>>complete, and then reports "disk contents changed, restarting".
    >>
    >>What's
    >>
    >>>going on? There is nothing else running. No AV software, no spyware
    >>>detection, no scheduler, no screen saver, or anything else, plus I'm
    >>
    >>in
    >>
    >>>safe mode.
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>To reply by email remove "_nospam"
    >>
    >>You might want to try deleting Windows\Applog folder and moving your
    >>swap file to another partition. This should stop the changing disk
    >>contents at least. Applog folder will be recreated and contains no
    >>valuable information anyway, just cluster mapping of your applications
    >>for enhanced program launching during defrag which may be causing the
    >>excessive run time for defrag. Past defrag sessions that were aborted
    >>also cause excessive run times. You didn't mention it but, how big is
    >>this partition?
    >>

    > just as a side note..get the defrag.exe from windows ME ..it is much faster
    > for win98

    Where is that available and would I be breaking any copyrights by
    downloading it for a machine that isn't licensed for ME?

    Chuck wrote:
    > Lee wrote:
    <snip>
    > > also cause excessive run times. You didn't mention it but, how big
    is
    > > this partition?
    > >

    > 6 gig.

    6 gig should only take a half hour at most, I'd say something was
    seriously interfering or you are running at very slow data speeds.
    Have you looked into DMA settings and/or testing your actual through
    put for your hard drives? It may be that you could make vast
    improvments there.

    DMA Check Box Does Not Remain Checked
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=159560
    Further info - substitue 2x (DMA) modes as follows
    UDMA mode 0 is 40
    UDMA mode 1 is 41 etc

    http://www.simplisoftware.com/Public/index.php?request=HdTach

    Before messing with DMA settings I've found it best to set up a
    dedicated DMA buffer first by adding this line to your [386Enh] section
    of system.ini file.
    DMABufferSize=64

    or you can do the same through Device Mangler|System Devices|Direct
    Memory Access Controller|Properties|Settings tab|Reserved Memory
    section. Doing this first will prevent DMA settings changes from
    causing a non-bootable Windows situation, ignore at your own peril.
    Press Pause during bootup POST screens to see DMA capabilties, press
    spacebar to continue bootup. Refer to help file of HDTach to compare
    potential drive DMA levels with actual throughput.

    (A) What about items 2 & 3...?...

    1. Turn off screen saver (R-Clk Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver--
    None)
    2. Turn off power management (Control Panel, Power Management-- Always
    On,Never,Never,Never)
    3. Disable any permanent internet cable connection, perhaps.
    4. Suspend Task Scheduler
    5. Turn off interfering programs.

    (B) To expand upon Lee's thought, may as well get rid of all your
    junk...

    (1) Delete the contents of C:\Windows\TEMP. Delete contents only.

    Under normal circumstances, C:\WINDOWS\TEMP can be cleared of
    files/folders after a fresh boot. You need the fresh boot, because
    something may be sitting there, waiting to "complete" an install. You
    will likely have seen a message about it, though. Anyway, you should
    know whether you've installed something since boot. Now, some files may
    return after the delete. "WebPoolFileFile" is one. That will come back
    next boot or when you run McAfee.

    I have seen one poster who objected, saying one should browse through
    those files, looking for .log's. He said it might be interesting to see
    whether there is an error message or something inside. It was too late
    for me by then.

    Naturally, if you have actually installed something into TEMP, there
    might be a Registry connection to it. Those, you need to un/re-install
    elsewhere. Finally, I even saw a poster who had system files in there,
    perhaps it was the Temporary Internet Files in there. That shouldn't be!
    Well, to be certain, is C:\Windows\TEMP mentioned in any of these
    Registry keys?

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\She
    ll Folders
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Use
    r Shell Folders

    (2) "Control Panel, Internet Options, Delete Files button, bolt Delete
    all offline content, OK, OK"

    These were your Temporary Internet Files, which, since V4, has an
    involvement with Windows Update. It's main purpose is to hold
    bits/pieces of sites you visit, to make it quicker to load next visit.
    Also, it is a work area for OE6. Naturally, TIFs will grow back. It's
    size is controllable by the slider & input box under the Settings
    button.

    (3) Most of the following shall never return again, and were work files,
    pre-V4:
    (a) "START, Settings, Folder Options, View tab"; bolt "Show all
    files" & UNcheck "Hide file extensions...".
    (b) Open Explorer to "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate", and
    (c) Delete everything in this folder EXCEPT the V4 folder.
    (d) Open the V4 folder, and delete everything in it EXCEPT for the
    "iuhist.xml" file.

    (4) http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q238165
    Deleting APPLOG Content
    (a) You won't even see it, unless "START, Settings, Folder Options,
    View tab" is bolted "Show all files"; may as well uncheck "Hide file
    extensions..." too.
    (b) START, Find, Files or Folders, Applog"
    (c) Double-click the Applog folder to open it.
    (d) On the Edit menu, click Select all.
    (e) On the File menu, click Delete, and then click Yes when you are
    prompted to confirm the deletion.

    APPLOG is used by Defrag to optimize the location of files on your
    partition. (Some files in it seem extraordinarily large.) It will be
    recreated and the contents will accumulate, as the second time any app
    is run it generates an .LGC in that folder. (Optlog.txt, in that folder,
    will be recreated, when next you Defrag. Save the old one only to retain
    a record of every app that has run, at least twice, to the date of your
    last Defrag.)

    (5) "START, Find, F/F, fff*". Got any, with a name that is tons long?
    Then...

    .......Quote.........
    You find that you are accumulating a lot of temporary files in your
    Windows directory that start with fff and have a .tmp extension, similar
    to this:

    fff137e3_{3BC6A120-EFC3-11D2-96F7-D0634EC10000}.tmp
    fff137e3_{3BC6A121-EFC3-11D2-96F7-D0634EC10000}.tmp

    These files are created by a bug in certain versions of MDM.EXE....two
    every time it is loaded.
    See here:
    OFF2000: Files Whose Name Begins with 'fff' Appear in Windows Folder"
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=221438

    OFF: How to Turn Off Machine Debug Manager, Mdm.exe
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321410

    MDM is loaded with programs such as Office, and Microsoft Script
    Debugger.
    The fix is to prevent it from loading, by renaming the file, and
    removing its reference in the startup group.

    Rename MDM.EXE to MDM.EX_ or MDM.BAD, or something like that.
    Look for any reference to MDM.EXE in the Startup folders:
    C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
    C:\Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
    and in the registry run key:
    and delete it.

    Then delete all those fff___.tmp files.
    Note that if you reinstall any of the programs that added MDM.EXE, you
    may get it loaded back, and will have to disable it again.

    ....glen
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    .......End....of quote.......

    (6) Also, do you have SpyBot? Then...
    "START, Find, F/F, 'Checks*.*, Fixes*.*'" (No quotes; yes comma). If you
    have a ton of these, then delete them. Go to the Settings screen of
    SpyBot, & turn off both the Checks & Fixes logs.

    http://www.pcmag.com/ 's HDValet can help with that. It is configurable,
    & installs with pre-configured suggestions. By design, it will not
    delete empty folders, after the files are gone. Also, it will not delete
    files that are "in use". It isn't pre-configured to delete it's own log
    & doesn't over-write it. So, occasionally, do go in and trim it.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    Chuck wrote:

    > Haggis wrote:
    >
    >>just as a side note..get the defrag.exe from windows ME ..it is much faster
    >>for win98
    >>

    > Where is that available

    Several places. Try links found via:
    <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Defrag+WinME+download>

    > and would I be breaking any copyrights by
    > downloading it for a machine that isn't licensed for ME?

    Certaninly.

    --
    gPlease followup in newsroup.
    E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

Safe Mode Microsoft Windows